Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

GMPartsGiant say the part is discontinued.

GM Parts East, part not available.

​I received my switch today, # 23154702 after two previous order (above) were canceled. For some reason these switches are getting hard to come by. If your thinking of doing this mod I would try and get a switch soon.

Edited by No Tyme
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well not much action here in this thread. So I will post my findings...

Installed my GM # 23154702 switch and hung a DL3 mirror on the truck. Power fold works. But I am getting the bug to wire thew turn and puddle lights while I am at it.

My issue is I am unable to identify the correct pin to add the wires to my connector. I download the GM upfitter manual for electrical and printed pages for outside mirror ams and turn signals but no info on the correct pin # or tool needed...

Anyone?

If you downloaded the correct up fitter manual everything is there. 898 pages of electrical. I found it very beneficial to skim through the entire manual just to see how different components are wired. You will also come across the interior rearview mirror and figure out how to get the auto dim to work. Driver side turn signal Page 847. Pin #41. D-BU/WH Puddle lamp pin #3 GY/WH terminal type II. Tool J-38125-560. The mirror harness is on page 852. Driver side turn signal pin #13 type I RD/BU. Driver side puddle lamp pin #1 OG/WH. Terminal tool J-38125-553. These tools are very expensive.About $50 and $30 each. If I had to do it again I would take the donor harness to a stereo install shop and have them unpin the harness for me. Make sure to identify the correct hole in the connector before inserting the new wires. If you look closely at the connector you will see that they are numbered. Snake the new wires through the weather grommets one on body one on door before inserting the wires into the connector. Then buy the correct gripping electrical tape and cover your new wires. The dealership will not even notice your MOD. .I can't remember but I THINK the ground on the mirror harness connector is already wired for all the other functions so you should be OK as they share the ground. Once again I'am not positive about the ground as I did this mod last August and my memory is not what it once was. Follow same step for puddle lights. You will see the correct pins locations on the same page. Page 847. Good luck See my post 119 on this forum page 8

P.S. when you get to the correct gm-upfitter site and locate your manual, download and save it to your computer as a PDF file so you can easily breeze through the pages whenever you want.
Edited by JR777

If you downloaded the correct up fitter manual everything is there. 898 pages of electrical. I found it very beneficial to skim through the entire manual just to see how different components are wired. You will also come across the interior rearview mirror and figure out how to get the auto dim to work. Driver side turn signal Page 847. Pin #41. D-BU/WH Puddle lamp pin #3 GY/WH terminal type II. Tool J-38125-560. The mirror harness is on page 852. Driver side turn signal pin #13 type I RD/BU. Driver side puddle lamp pin #1 OG/WH. Terminal tool J-38125-553. These tools are very expensive.About $50 and $30 each. If I had to do it again I would take the donor harness to a stereo install shop and have them unpin the harness for me. Make sure to identify the correct hole in the connector before inserting the new wires. If you look closely at the connector you will see that they are numbered. Snake the new wires through the weather grommets one on body one on door before inserting the wires into the connector. Then buy the correct gripping electrical tape and cover your new wires. The dealership will not even notice your MOD. .I cant remember but I think the ground is already wired for all the other functions so you should be OK as they share the ground. Follow same step for puddle lights. You will see the correct pins locations on the same page. Page 847. Good luck See my post 119 on this forum page 8

The parts guy says that the information above does NOT give him the info needed to identify the pins... I must not have the correct manual because mine is only 259 pages... Its just the electrical manual. I faxed over the info provided to see if they can now identify the pins needed for this job.

Thanks so much for the info... I will search for the correct manual tonight, but my electrical manual does have the breakdown of what the wire is for.

The parts guy says that the information above does NOT give him the info needed to identify the pins... I must not have the correct manual because mine is only 259 pages... Its just the electrical manual. I faxed over the info provided to see if they can now identify the pins needed for this job.

Thanks so much for the info... I will search for the correct manual tonight, but my electrical manual does have the breakdown of what the wire is for.

Here's the link to the 898 page for the 2015s: https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/578/Sierra_Silverado_Electrical_Body_Builders_Manual_Service_Manual_2015_en_US.pdf

• Like 1

I want to add some additional information to clarify this grounding step. On my mirrors, I have 1 black/white wire and 2 black wires. They all seem to be the same size wire, but the 2 wires that you want to join to add a ground for the turn signals are the black/white wire in pin # 5 and the black wire in pin # 11. The black wire in pin # 8 is the mirror Heating Element Supply Voltage.

This came be verifies in the GM up fitters manual found here:

https://www.gmupfitt..._2015_en_US.pdf

Thank you BeauTie for the link...

I am going to share my procedure to upgrade my 2014 Silverado Crew LT from DL8 to DL3 mirrors. I am doing this to show my end results that I was able to achieve with the help of others and their write-ups.

My 14 Crew had power adjustable heated mirrors and I did NOT have auto dimming or park assist. The last two items I did not research so if you need info on them it won’t be in this write up. I added power fold turn signal mirrors with puddle lights to my Crew, and this is how I accomplished it.

There are UTube videos on how to remove your door panels so I won’t waste time on that procedure. Removing the rubber trim from around the top of the window is made easier with the window in the down position which allowed access the mirror bolts so I won’t discuss that either. Once your door panels, inner cab kick panels and mirrors are removed you will most likely have only 7 pins in the harness on the door that plugs into the mirror harness. If that is the case you will need to wire directly a power wire for the turn, power wire for the puddle light and add a ground for the turn signal light as it has its own ground, but I will show another option later on that point. I ran just the two needed power wires from the BMC area to my mirrors.

First off I used door switch Part number #23154702 for the power fold mirror switch. There are discussions on another part #, and from what I read this is the one for the Trucks. I chose to add in to the mirrors a connection to unplug the mirrors later in case the mirror ever had to be replaced. The 2 new power wires that I had to run are needed for turn and puddle lights, and is located in pin 1 and 13 of the harness from the mirror. My wire colors were (pin #1) Orange/black for the puddle light and (pin #13) Blue/red for the turn signal. This is the same on both side mirrors left and right. I chose a point to cut the wires and solder in some connectors, using a female end for the puddle light and a male end for the turn. That way I did not confuse the wires when making the connection. I also staggered the connection to avoid a bulging area in the wiring. I used some shrink tube on the cut ends not used to prevent any issues with un-shielded wires.

Here is a pic of my mirrors mounted at this point.

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

Now the process is to run the wire from the cab to the connectors I put in place through the rubber housing where the other wires are located. I used a piece of a coat hanger after pulling the rubber boots loose and my wires came through on top of the connector on the body side of the truck, just fish it through with a coat hanger. This process is time consuming so take your time so not to damage any wires in the harness.

I also had to provide a ground for the turn lights, this was stated in the write up that I followed by schlegle1. I did my ground like he did, combining the ground wire needed to the one ground already completed in the original mirror harness. On my mirrors, I have 1 black/white wire and 2 black wires. They all seem to be the same size wire, but the 2 wires that you want to join to add a ground for the turn signals are the black/white wire in pin # 5 and the black wire in pin # 11. The black wire in pin # 8 is the mirror Heating Element Supply Voltage. DO NOT USE PIN #8.

I have installed my mirrors and confirmed that power adjustment, power fold, turn and puddle lights along with heat functions all work using this procedure. I am moving forward with identifying wires at the BMC and completing this mod today.

This information has been acquired with the help from ngiovas, schlegle1 and special thanks to BeauTie for the link to the up fitters manual. That will help me confirm wire connections at the BMC.

To get auto dimming to work you will need proper dimming interior rearview mirror. I purchased mine on eBay for $35. I was also lucky enough to buy one that had both sides of the mirror harness. Of course one side was cut but from this I unpinned the three extra wires that I needed. With the three wires that had pins on them from the purchased mirror I inserted the pins into proper harness connector holes. I would imagine if you don’t have the leads with pins you could tap into the mirror directly. I then soldered these wires to a CAT5 cable long enough to run from the interior mirror inside the front edge of the headliner down the pillar and ending at the firewall left of the brake pedal. This is where you will attach the three wires for the dimming feature. You will attach them to the X61A-X3 junction block. With my truck 2015.5 LT (Not sure 2014) there was no need to run any wires on the inside of cab to the door harness. They were already wired.You will need to add appropriate wires to the outside mirror harness as well as door harness. Use the same procedure for dimming wires as you did for turn signals and puddles..The three wires that you will be adding to the new interior mirror are,

Pin #1 circuit #24 L-GN/WH (Backup lamp supply voltage).Backup lamp voltage turns dimming off in reverse so you can see where your driving.

Pin #8 circuit #1691 BK/YE (Automatic Day/Night low reference).

Pin#9 circuit #1690 YE/WH (Automatic Day/Night mirror signal).

Wright down the color of the wires that you are running to the junction block. The junction block X61A-X3 is located on the firewall left of the brake pedal. X3 will be a blue colored harness connector. You can tap the circuits from the front but I didn’t want anything visible to the dealership so I unbolted the junction block (3 nuts) and tapped into the circuits from behind. The CAT5 cable is not visible from anywhere inside my truck and since I decided to use a donner door harness for all the extra wires that I needed, you can not notice that I modded my door harness. The three circuits on the junction block are as follows

Pin#8 circuit #1690 YE/WH (Automatic Day/Night mirror signal).

Pin#9 circuit #1691 BK/YE (Automatic Day/Night mirror signal).

Pin#13 circuit #24 L-GN/WH (Backup lamp supply voltage). Backup lamp voltage turns dimming off in reverse so you can see where your driving

Note the corresponding circuit numbers and wire color codes.

As I posted in post #119 Download the GM-Up fitter’s manual as a PDF file for your vehicle. I’m not sure how to copy a link but it is posted in post #185. Thumb through it as there is a treasure trove of information in it. The pages listed below do not have the wiring schematics but they are in different sections near the beginning of this manual. There is also a section that will show you the location of various components.

Please note that I am an not a professional so double check with the up fitter’s manual. You will find wiring schematics for mirrors turn signals puddle lamps dimming etc.near the beginning of this manual. Everything works on my truck except PARK ASSIST as this would require memory option.

page #280 X61A junction block panel X3

Page #297 Inside rearview mirror

Page #845 Driver door harness to body harness.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. 1 If you purchased different door harness say from an LTZ the reason that they are not fully functional is because most of the mirrors functions are received from the memory module.

P.S.2 when you get to the correct gm-upfitter site and locate your manual, download and save it to your computer as a PDF file so you can easily breeze through the pages whenever you want.
Edited by JR777

I sure many will appreciate that info JR777...

I have found an error in the posting by schlegle1, at least as it pertains to my truck. The right turn lead is located in the Black BMC plug, Green with Violet tracer wire at pin #3. His posting stated the brown BMC plug. Not sure if I will get back at it today because it's family time.

I'm not positive but there are several locations for various functions at the BCM. Look at the up-fitter manual and find the junction blocks. Look for the circuits that you need here. It is safer to tap into the junction block than it is to tap into BCM. As for BCM flashes and VIN numbers they ARE NOT necessary. A flash would be needed to change software. For example. On your info screen when you program different functions an LT would be missing features such as memory options. If you were to flash the memory with a VIN# from a different vehicle your computer would detect missing components and trigger a warning lamp on your instrument cluster. Not even sure if 2015 and later can even be flashed. I will try to locate the appropriate pages and edit this post as I remember the information. I wasted a lot of time and money on this mod and if I had to do it again I would be able to breeze through it. looking back at the very early post on this subject people are making it more difficult than it should be. When I purchased my vehicle last year even the mechanics at the dealership told me that it was impossible. I guess because of warranty issues.

Here is a list of most of the pages you will need. Browse through the whole thing when you can. Very interesting.

wiring schematic starts at p.26 to about 54. You may as well start at the beginning and skim through it all.

component location starts on p.196

Junction blocks start on p.277

inside rearview mirror p.297

Body Control modules (BCM) start on p.485

Outside rearview switch p. 700-701. This is where you can see the different harness configurations for the mirror switches.

Headliner to overhead console. p. 833. To identify wires to hook up ,say radar detector etc

Door to body harnesses start on p. 845

Outside rearview mirror to driver door harness p.852

Outside rearview mirror to passenger door harness p.860.

P.S. when you get to the correct gm-upfitter site and locate your manual, download and save it to your computer as a PDF file so you can easily breeze through the pages whenever you want.

Edited by JR777

When I purchased my vehicle last year even the mechanics at the dealership told me that it was impossible. I guess because of warranty issues.

I was told the same, "it is impossible" to add the HomeLink buttons when I bought my 2014 LT.

I found a complete overhead console on eBay and it plugged right in. Sometimes their not the sharpest tool in the shed.

same here I added the homelink the first week that I purchased the vehicle. I purchased a brand new console from www.newgmparts.com and pluged it in for less than $200. At the time there weren't any available on ebay Oh well

Edited by JR777

Sorry, I am no help to your particular issue. I have read that the wrong harness can cause inoperative or partial mirror functions, but for me to say for sure I am just not able to do so. I would search for info as there are several threads on the DL3 upgrade. I believe schlegle1 might have posted about this very issue. Check on post 142.