Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

The upfitters manual (800+pages- downloadable pdf) has all the connectors, pin numbers , circuit number, terminal types that you will need. It also helps to have a spare wire harness to look at outside the vehicle.

Once you have your 4 wires with correct terminals on each end, (2 per side), you need to run them from the mirror connector along harness to large 41 pin door connector, unlock connector (mine was pink) with a small screwdriver, push the 2 terminals into place(#3) on mine). Wrap, tie, tape as needed, push large connector back into body connector..no connection or splicing anywhere under dash. Lastly run short ground jumper at mirror connector.

Note that the 4 wires needed are roughly 16" long each. I can get a more precise measurement if someone is interested.

Just completed my upgrade to the DL3 power fold mirrors. This forum and the upfitter's manual were a huge help! All original features plus the power fold, blinkers and puddle lights work perfect. No factory wires spliced, tapped or cut into. I have a 2015 LT, dbl cab, z71. Keep in mind that this write up applies to my 2015 truck. The 2 circuits needed on each side were already in place to my door connector, just not in my door harnesses. This may not be the case for all models/years.

Here is a quick overview of my upgrade.

1.Purchased dl3 mirrors with wire harnesses from a forum member for $300 shipped. Thanks Gordon.

2. Purchased switch gm pn 23154702. from gmpartsheadquarters.com.

3.Cannibalized one of the spare harnesses & removed 4 wires with terminals complete plus 2 short wires for the ground jumper on mirror connector #510/610. A bit of a job, but well worth it in order to eliminate the need to splice into any of the factory wiring on the truck.

4. Removed door panels and upper window trim panel. Highly recommend watching some of the youtube videos on this procedure. Get a set of the plastic body panel tools. They are inexpensive and very helpful.

5. Fished 2 wires with terminals (from spare harness) through from door connector X500/X600 to mirror connect X510/X610. Unlocked connector locks , inserted pin terminals into each connector , closed connect locks. One wire is for puddle lamp supply (circuit5996), other is for turn signal (circuit1314/1315). Wire tie and tape wrap neatly to factory harness. This is the most time consuming, just be patient and take your time.

6. Put short ground jumper into X510/X610 mirror connector pin 5 location and jump to ground circuit 1150/1250 pin 11. This is ground for puddle lamp.

7. Install mirrors, my torque setting was 5.5 ft lbs. Install door and trim panels. That's it.

One observation that I did not see mentioned in this topic...The puddle lights are tied to the day/night sensor and only get bright at night when the unlock button is pushed on key fob, then they are nice and bright. Don't panic if they don't seem to work in the daylight. If anyone would like more detail or pictures just let me know.

Please help me understand. I have a 2015 silverado lt with DL8. If I buy DL3 mirrors and matching door harnesses do I still need to add 4 additional wires to make the signals and puddle lights? I would think they would be included in the new dl3 door harness right? Edited by rdk1ll
  • Like 1

You can indeed use the wire harness that came with the DL3 mirrors in your LT, but you will need to modify them. They have additional wires that send reference voltage and communicate with the memory module that your LT probably does not have. Unless you cut/disconect the additional circuits, some of your mirror control features will not work. Others in this forum have also document this. I think its less trouble to add the 2 wires and ground jumper to the original Lt harness.

• Like 1

You can indeed use the wire harness that came with the DL3 mirrors in your LT, but you will need to modify them. They have additional wires that send reference voltage and communicate with the memory module that your LT probably does not have. Unless you cut/disconect the additional circuits, some of your mirror control features will not work. Others in this forum have also document this. I think its less trouble to add the 2 wires and ground jumper to the original Lt harness.

That clears it up. Thank you

So I finally received the right switch part #23154702. Powerfold heat and has full motion. Googled for hours on end to find a pic or reference as to what wires are what and go where but didn't find any solid info to make my puddles and blinkers work. I'm pretty good with wiring and figuring out what to do but this here has me stumped and I don't want to just guess till I get it right on a $45k truck. The info above makes sense to me and is what I want to do but again can't find even a diagram for pins or wire colors

Edited by Will2015

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I'm a long time Tahoe/Suburban owner but new Silverado owner. Picked up a 2016 Black LT, Texas Edition, 5.3, Crew Cab. Very excited to stumble on this forum. My truck is at the dealer now getting the spray on liner and windows tinted.

My question - Has anyone done this on a 2016? From the numerous E posts I've read, it looks like it might be the same harness and switch situation? When I dropped my truck off, there was an LTZ being worked on and saw the these mirrors I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pgamboa

• 1 month later...

I am sorry for bringing back an old topic. I am hoping one of you could help me out.

My truck is a Chevy Silverado LT late 2015 build.

I picked up a set of new takeoff DL3 mirrors with both door harness’s. Just to be clear I only want the mirrors to have:

1) full power motion controls – up/down & left/right

2) heated mirrors

3) turn signals

4) power fold in & out.

5) Puddle lamp if possible.

I do not want or need auto dimming, auto tilt or object detection.

I installed the mirrors over the weekend & I used my stock DL8 mirror harness's in both my driver and passenger doors with the power fold switch #23154702.

On both mirrors I have:

1) full power motion controls up & down/left & right

2) heated mirrors

3) power fold in & out. (only by using door switch #23154702) *no fob control*

I did not have time to install the DL3 door harness’s. My real question is, what is my best/easiest option for getting Turn signal and Puddle lamps to work?

1) Could I just install the DL3 harness’s and everything will work?

2) Or Shouldn't I be able to unpin#'s 2, 15&16 from the DL3 harness and make everything I want work like power fold in&out/ heating/ full motion/ puddle lamp and turn signal all function rather than taking wires from the DL3 harness and adding them to the DL3 Harness?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nb4mmlirzv6pb7o/driver%20door%20harness.png?dl=0

3) Should I keep my DL8 harness and take apart the DL3 harness wires I need and add them to the DL8 harness?

I am confused as to why the extra wires on the DL3 harness causes other features to fail? I.E. - the loss of power control for Drivers mirror left/right and all power features to passenger mirror?

Edited by Alexantics

Take a look at this How To I just created. I just finished this upgrade and ran into the same issues you did. The reason why you lose functionality is because the harness you got is pinned out for the seat memory switch that you don't have. There is a circuit that runs through the seat memory switch. I even went down the path of adding the seat memory switch but the door panel trim connector doesn't have the pins loaded there either.

I asked the same questions - should i keep DL8 harness and add turn signal and puddle, or keep DL3 harness and add the power fold, left/right control on drivers, up/down-left/right on passengers.

I ended up using the DL3 harness and harvesting pins from the DL8 harness.

Good Luck!

2016 Silverado LT - DL8 to DL3 Mirror Conversion - FINALLY Complete

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190736-2016-Silverado-LT---DL8-to-DL3-Mirror-Conversion---FINALLY-Complete%26%233&share_tid=190736&share_fid=33003&share_type=t

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 3

Take a look at this How To I just created. I just finished this upgrade and ran into the same issues you did. The reason why you lose functionality is because the harness you got is pinned out for the seat memory switch that you don't have. There is a circuit that runs through the seat memory switch. I even went down the path of adding the seat memory switch but the door panel trim connector doesn't have the pins loaded there either.

I asked the same questions - should i keep DL8 harness and add turn signal and puddle, or keep DL3 harness and add the power fold, left/right control on drivers, up/down-left/right on passengers.

I ended up using the DL3 harness and harvesting pins from the DL8 harness.

Good Luck!

2016 Silverado LT - DL8 to DL3 Mirror Conversion - FINALLY Complete

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190736-2016-Silverado-LT---DL8-to-DL3-Mirror-Conversion---FINALLY-Complete%26%233&share_tid=190736&share_fid=33003&share_type=t

I can not thank you enough for taking the time and putting all of this info together! :thumbs::cheers:

Glad I could help. This forum has been a tremendous help for me, so when it was my turn to tackle this, I wanted to make sure I documented everything, and help others with this.

• Like 2