Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

On a side note ..... There are universal power fold modules on eBay that will power fold your mirrors when you lock the truck with your remote ... I want to get one as I have also added dl3s ..... I have a few buddy's that have use them on other cars and they seem to work great

• Like 1

On a side note ..... There are universal power fold modules on eBay that will power fold your mirrors when you lock the truck with your remote ... I want to get one as I have also added dl3s ..... I have a few buddy's that have use them on other cars and they seem to work great

This power fold module, works with the DL3 and Factory Key Fob? Would like to get details on this if you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search eBay,Amazon ect .... they are universal .... they tap your lock module and have a wire that reads accessory .... so basically when you turn off the truck and lock the doors it activates the module and folds the mirrors .... and when you turn on the key it reads that accessory wire and kills the module so when the doors auto lock after 10mph it dosent fold your mirrors .... that the basics .... I've never wired one but have some buddy's with them and they seem to work fine

Edited by Rayce08

Search eBay,Amazon ect .... they are universal .... they tap your lock module and have a wire that reads accessory .... so basically when you turn off the truck and lock the doors it activates the module and folds the mirrors .... and when you turn on the key it reads that accessory wire and kills the module so when the doors auto lock after 10mph it dosent fold your mirrors .... that the basics .... I've never wired one but have some buddy's with them and they seem to work fine

Is this something like what you a talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111016438613?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes .... I've text my buddies what brand they used .... They could not remember .... But said they are still working fine ..... There seems to be a few out there , I think I'm gonna try one out ..... The only draw back I see is the factory auto fold with the key fob is programmable on or off , you may not want this feature all the time , this would be permanent unless you installed a switch somewhere

• 2 months later...

hey everyone. getting everything together to do this upgrade on my 2015 sierra SLE sept 15 build date. got a wicked deal on a set of new take off DL3 mirrors , ordered switch new from GM , and thanks to all the awesome write-ups on here , will likely add the needed wires to my current DL8 harness to get the puddle lamps and LED turn indicators working. One question though i have is , has anyone see a truck WITH DL3 mirrors , and without memory seats.... I'm sure i saw one at my local dealer, believe it was an SLE A\T ... keep meaning to wheel back in there and have a peek

that being said , the door harnesses from that optioned truck should (in my mind anyway) be plug and play for anyone wanting to go from DL8s to DL3s no? - maybe i am , like my wife says , nuking futs.

hey everyone. getting everything together to do this upgrade on my 2015 sierra SLE sept 15 build date. got a wicked deal on a set of new take off DL3 mirrors , ordered switch new from GM , and thanks to all the awesome write-ups on here , will likely add the needed wires to my current DL8 harness to get the puddle lamps and LED turn indicators working. One question though i have is , has anyone see a truck WITH DL3 mirrors , and without memory seats.... I'm sure i saw one at my local dealer, believe it was an SLE A\T ... keep meaning to wheel back in there and have a peek

that being said , the door harnesses from that optioned truck should (in my mind anyway) be plug and play for anyone wanting to go from DL8s to DL3s no? - maybe i am , like my wife says , nuking futs.

I would LOVE to see this optioned harness (if it exists). After all the studying I've done on both DL3 and DL8 harnesses, I've pinned them both out, several times, I've concluded that the DL3 mirror harness and controls are dependent on the Seat Memory option and Serial Data Circuit #8. I'm working on a project to determine if I can run a set of harnesses to make them Plug & Play by adding seat memory, but this involves a lot more than I thought. I even went to the extreme of replacing the harness set that is loaded on the door panel, seat memory switch (in the door handle), seat memory module (under the seat). I learned that the mate connector under the seat harness to the body connector does not have all the circuits loaded. So... more work than I thought.

It is MUCH easier to manually load the puddle, turn, and don't forget ground on the DL8 Harness.

But IF you find this optioned harness part #, that would be AWESOME!

• Like 1

So you're saying it's easier to use the dl8 harness and add a few wires? I heard the dl3 harness with mem seats won't work if you don't have mem seats already.

Yep. That is correct. Using DL8 Harness set and adding 3 wires is easier. Since I started harvesting wires/pins from the DL8 Harness, I had no choice but to continue since I was at a point of no return.

I did gain the Auto Dimming feature by using the DL3 Harness set but it involved more "re-wiring" of the circuits. But still would have been easier and less wires to add Auto-Dimming.

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 1

Yep. That is correct. Using DL8 Harness set and adding 3 wires is easier. Since I started harvesting wires/pins from the DL8 Harness, I had no choice but to continue since I was at a point of no return.

I did gain the Auto Dimming feature by using the DL3 Harness set but it involved more "re-wiring" of the circuits. But still would have been easier and less wires to add Auto-Dimming.

Thanks pgamboa , I think unless that fantasy harness I mentioned does exist, I'll be taking the route of adding the pins and wires to my DL8 harness.

Certainly have me motivated to look at running the extra ones for the auto dim now too if I can find the mirror for the right price .

Are you "pinning" the harness? I could not locate the tool to do that. If so, do you have the part number for tool or pins?

I ended up harvesting the pins from my old DL8 Harness. The Upfitter Manual says "not required" for the terminal pins on the X510 connector as well as most of the pins on the X500 connector. I was on Mouser's website last night looking at JST pins and think I have found them. I purchased a caliper to measure my pins and see if they are the same. If so, I'll provide a part #s for the pins.

• Like 2

Thanks pgamboa , I think unless that fantasy harness I mentioned does exist, I'll be taking the route of adding the pins and wires to my DL8 harness.

Certainly have me motivated to look at running the extra ones for the auto dim now too if I can find the mirror for the right price .

I wrote up the detailed instructions for adding the auto dim rear view mirror. The difference with my wiring is that I already had the circuits in the DL3 harness. So all I had to do was run wires from the mirror to the X61 and X50 junction blocks. The terminal pins for those were available so I bought them on ebay already crimped, loaded it, and butt spliced my wires into it.