Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

one thing i forgot to ask , is anyone who has done this mod with the methodology I'm using , whats the best and most secure way to jump the ground wire in the mirror harness, port 5 is easy as you can use the pin end, but the other is it best to splice and solder or??

any suggestions \ advice is much appreciated!

thanks again.

• Like 1

one thing i forgot to ask , is anyone who has done this mod with the methodology I'm using , whats the best and most secure way to jump the ground wire in the mirror harness, port 5 is easy as you can use the pin end, but the other is it best to splice and solder or??

any suggestions \ advice is much appreciated!

thanks again.

I cut Pin #11 in the X510/X610 connector and butt splice it with your newly added Pin #5 wire. Same for both driver and passenger sides.

b1f616f08a502bbaf3902e685d76faa4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

GM does this downstream of this photo. If you unwrap the harness, you'll find it.

912a852b8aa4af26700d72dd9317ec32.jpg

Edited by pgamboa

I cut Pin #11 in the X510/X610 connector and butt splice it with your newly added Pin #5 wire. Same for both driver and passenger sides.

I like it! thanks a million.

• Like 1

GM does this downstream of this photo. If you unwrap the harness, you'll find it. 912a852b8aa4af26700d72dd9317ec32.jpg

So it's a common ground for all the lighting in the door

I imagine the factory DL3 harnesses all ground at that same point as well then

Yes - It you look at the X500/X600 Door connector, there is only (1) Ground. That large gauge wire is what lands there.

So, you're modifying a DL3 Harness?

Nope adding to the DL8 harness, just curious on the DL3 one.

Whew... LOL. Ok.

But yes - The DL3s are grounded the same way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I'm excited to say I made the swap yesterday with 100% success!! I now have power fold , puddle lamp and turn signals functioning on my DL3s along with the adjustment motions and heat! i was able to park my truck at our heavy equipment for almost 24 hours prior to doing the swap so it would thaw and melt (if your following along we've had a good few weeks of -30-40 degrees) so needless to say i was happy to have the warm space to do it , otherwise i would have been waiting until spring!

what i learned :

with much advice from pgamboa i repined DL8 harnesses - I actually bought 2 , used one as a donor to harvest the pins and wires i needed from , and built the driver side one from the comfort of my workbench at home ( i ran 4 wires 2 for auto dim which is my next project) and the 2 for puddle lamp and signal , as well as added and jumped the additional needed ground)

this was nice because when it came to the drivers side i simply removed the existing harness and ran and installed the one i had made.

for the passenger side i removed the existing harness , added the 2 wires and additional ground wire ( i had the additional wires harvested already and ready to install) which made this process fairly quick as well.

You do have to removed the majority of the door , along with the speaker , the window sensor and the black poly sound proof \ barrier , but it is easily reinstalled - just be sure to make sure its sealed up by using a bit of force and running your finger along the bead of goop holding it on - i even went as far as hitting it lightly with a head gun to make sure it had a good bond again.

once i had each side in i tested it to ensure it had all functions working properly ( i must note i did the driverside first , as well as installed the new switch at that time)

when i was all done i removed the chrome mirror caps from the new DL3s and put my colour match ones back on.

will have some pics to follow - but for now again i want to extend my thanks to pgamboa for the endless messages back and fourth helping me troubleshoot my repining ( make sure you have the pin retainer sleeves !!!) and to everyone else who gave advise and ideas along the way. if any of you are thinking about doing this , with the newer build trucks (build date of early 15' or later i believe) it can be done! it takes some time and some finesse work but its worth it! i

I'd be happy to help anyone i can with any advise or questions , just hit me up .

next project is adding the auto dim inside mirror and harness to get it and my side view to auto dim!

• Like 2

Update:

I'm excited to say I made the swap yesterday with 100% success!! I now have power fold , puddle lamp and turn signals functioning on my DL3s along with the adjustment motions and heat! i was able to park my truck at our heavy equipment for almost 24 hours prior to doing the swap so it would thaw and melt (if your following along we've had a good few weeks of -30-40 degrees) so needless to say i was happy to have the warm space to do it , otherwise i would have been waiting until spring!

what i learned :

with much advice from pgamboa i repined DL8 harnesses - I actually bought 2 , used one as a donor to harvest the pins and wires i needed from , and built the driver side one from the comfort of my workbench at home ( i ran 4 wires 2 for auto dim which is my next project) and the 2 for puddle lamp and signal , as well as added and jumped the additional needed ground)

this was nice because when it came to the drivers side i simply removed the existing harness and ran and installed the one i had made.

for the passenger side i removed the existing harness , added the 2 wires and additional ground wire ( i had the additional wires harvested already and ready to install) which made this process fairly quick as well.

You do have to removed the majority of the door , along with the speaker , the window sensor and the black poly sound proof \ barrier , but it is easily reinstalled - just be sure to make sure its sealed up by using a bit of force and running your finger along the bead of goop holding it on - i even went as far as hitting it lightly with a head gun to make sure it had a good bond again.

once i had each side in i tested it to ensure it had all functions working properly ( i must note i did the driverside first , as well as installed the new switch at that time)

when i was all done i removed the chrome mirror caps from the new DL3s and put my colour match ones back on.

will have some pics to follow - but for now again i want to extend my thanks to pgamboa for the endless messages back and fourth helping me troubleshoot my repining ( make sure you have the pin retainer sleeves !!!) and to everyone else who gave advise and ideas along the way. if any of you are thinking about doing this , with the newer build trucks (build date of early 15' or later i believe) it can be done! it takes some time and some finesse work but its worth it! i

I'd be happy to help anyone i can with any advise or questions , just hit me up .

next project is adding the auto dim inside mirror and harness to get it and my side view to auto dim!

Glad you were able to get this done!

I truly understand the feeling of success!

Congrats!

Adamz71 what year is your truck

His truck is a 15. There is an issue with the 14's and the puddle lamps with the harness that pgamboa is perfecting. pgamboa is working to understand the difference but the harness's for the 15's and 16's seem to be spot on.

Correct me if I am wrong pgamboa.

• Like 1

His truck is a 15. There is an issue with the 14's and the puddle lamps with the harness that pgamboa is perfecting. pgamboa is working to understand the difference but the harness's for the 15's and 16's seem to be spot on.

Correct me if I am wrong pgamboa.

That is absolutely correct No Tyme.

On 2014 - It seems that pins for the Puddle Lamp and Turn Signal in the inline door connector are present but something in the BCM is not sending Voltage down the Puddle Lamp circuit that my harness is pinned for. Only workaround now is by either adding a diode from the dome circuit to the Puddle lamp circuit in the BCM (using my custom harness) or hardwiring the puddle lamp circuit to it.

2015-2017 - LT/SLE, 1500 trucks seems to be working great.

2500/3500 trucks - Have more variables to the mix as the Vehicle Acceptability for Retrofit has some exclusions.

So at this time - My custom harness will be exclusive to certain years and trims.

I can certainly and will gladly help point others in the right direction as needed.

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 1

Pgamboa could you let me know how to hard wire them?

Let me know what year, trim, size your truck is. And what you are looking to do. Also need to know RPO codes do what you have.