i noticed on my frame this weekend to that the ''wax'' paint can be scraped off with my finger..why dont they paint these frames with paint! im worried the pressure washer is gonna chew that stuff right off..i want my old 04 painted frame back..

Older ones weren't painted either to my knowledge. Wax dipped. The stuff seems to hold up on pressure washers just don't put the tip right to it.

Slight surface rust on the frame will not hurt anything.

Maybe, on a new truck, but will it last 20 years like my '94 GMC Z-71? Doubt it if it's rusting brand new. I'm having doubts and some regret buying my 2014 Silverado.

I have to agree with HarperZ71, in feeling some regret.

This is really disappointing on a vehicle I've only had for two months. It may only be surface rust but its also very easily seen as the frame is exposed through the rear wheel opening. Its certainly not what I expected from a new vehicle costing over $40k. Yes, the truck operates fantastically for what it is, better steering, handling, creature comforts than any in the past. Little things like this rust, the radio LEDs, the thinnest paint paint I've ever seen, etc. seems a little shoddy to me...

Well, now you see the GM manufacturing trend for these trucks. The idea is to produce a comfortable vehicle with a car like ride, silent interior, and loaded with gadgets. This is bound to impress the buyer when he first takes a new truck for a test drive. The important things, such as quality made parts, quality materials, and strict quality control during assembly , are left out of the equation. What you have is nice riding vehicle that will start rusting and breaking down after a few short years. It seems that people these days care more about vehicles fully loaded with every conceivable option and gadget than quality. And manufacturers are capitalizing on this observation. This allows them to export the manufacturing facilities for both vehicle assembly and part production to third world countries and raise prices to record levels at the same time. And this trend will continue as long as people continue buying these vehicles.

Just my observations and opinion, of course.

Edited by pm26
  • Like 2

I live in SoCal so obviously I don't have these rust issues, but my stepdad owns a 4 wheel drive shop and has an older lifted Suburban. King sponsored him when he built the Dana 60 into the front, and it was in magazines, etc, but I noticed rust on the frame under the doors.. I asked him why he didn't fix it (This is years after it was in the magazine, now it just sits in his driveway) and he said "I'll be long dead before any rust is going to eat through that frame".. Maybe a different story for people in more rusty areas.. Still, I would be pissed if my brand new truck was rusting already.. I know you shouldn't have to, but can you paint the frame where it's rusting?

I was a little worried about that two years ago just before I put my car on ebay to sell it. I sprayed rubberized under coating on it. I should give that guy a call see if how that 64 elcamino is holding up. Guess I should check on my 92 Chevy truck while im at it.

My wax coat peeled off in huge sections...bare steel showing. Glad I found it before rust started...smeared bearing grease over it to protect it. I guess I will have to spray it down with oil like I've done in the past. Can't even imagine the inside of the frame tubes.

I had a Dodge 270k and never had the coating flake off like this...it was rust free when I traded it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

i noticed on my frame this weekend to that the ''wax'' paint can be scraped off with my finger..why dont they paint these frames with paint! im worried the pressure washer is gonna chew that stuff right off..i want my old 04 painted frame back..

Older ones weren't painted either to my knowledge. Wax dipped. The stuff seems to hold up on pressure washers just don't put the tip right to it.

I was in the frame plant when the '04's were in production.

I can guarantee they were wax dipped.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would chime in here with a similar issue. After about 2 weeks of having this truck I wanted to detail it and when I got underneath on a roller i noticed some really bad rust spots on the frame. I decided to inspect the entire underbody and found 4 spots like the picture below that were rusting badly already. I called the dealer right away and found out about the "Silent TSB" regarding the undercoating. I could take my finger down the undercoating and rub it off to bare metal! After taking it in for the TSB and getting the truck back I waitied 3 days and got underneath just to find out that they sprayed over it and the rust was still there and the undercoating was just caked on and rubbing right off still. Round 2, they gave me a rental and said they were going to strip the frame and spray it with undercoating that wouldn't rub off like silly putty. It is now 2 weeks later and the coating is again rubbing off to bare metal. You can see the rust was treated but not removed because the coating is caked on over it. The rust will obviously continue to eat through so I am now on to round 3 to see what they can do.

I will keep you up to date on what comes next but this is a really sad issue that far too many people are having to deal with. On top of it all, I was told that if I went and had this done by a company that could handle it, that would void my warranty!

-Adam

post-128569-0-96787200-1395684311_thumb.jpeg