Forget undercoating......just spray any rust areas with Rust-Oleum RUST REFORMER comes in a spray can. Instantly converts rust to a protected surface....chemically converts the iron oxide to a rustproof compound with a flat black finish matching the existing frame coating. Sprayed the few rusted frame contact areas 2 Winters ago and still good.
Damn does that stuff work? Sounds too good to be true but I might try it out haha. Was planning on using a wire brush to clean off the rust and paint it

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Forget undercoating......just spray any rust areas with Rust-Oleum RUST REFORMER comes in a spray can. Instantly converts rust to a protected surface....chemically converts the iron oxide to a rustproof compound with a flat black finish matching the existing frame coating. Sprayed the few rusted frame contact areas 2 Winters ago and still good.

I ended up doing this last night! The fluid film is good stuff but it can’t hold up over winter from the constant barrage of salt/anti skid. My frame looks terrible after this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

You should be using Kryptonite Metal Treatment which is what GMC suggest you use for any corrosion, we are the only authorized product for it, we currently sell a bundle package with has the PurePrep + 3 cans Kryptonite you can purchase it on our website or on amazon.com

Best of luck!

EnvirogreenSolutions.com

Edited by EnviroGreensolutions
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 4:53 PM, EnviroGreensolutions said:

You should be using Kryptonite Metal Treatment which is what GMC suggest you use for any corrosion, we are the only authorized product for it, we currently sell a bundle package with has the PurePrep + 3 cans Kryptonite you can purchase it on our website or on amazon.com

Best of luck!

EnvirogreenSolutions.com

Do you have to worry about overspray or anything?  Will it damage plastics, cables, etc. under the truck?

Silverado newbie here.... my first post in fact.

I've read that the Nox-Rust used on GM truck frames is miscible with oil-based rust inhibitors, suggesting that annual spraying of Fluid Film, Krown, Rust Check, Formula 3000 etc. might help maintain the original factory coating so it doesn't dry and peel off.   Does anyone have evidence for or against this?

I'm a little surprised by some of the outrage over GM's use of greasy frame wax.   Up here in Ottawa the first thing many truck owners do is bath their truck frame in a similar product.   In my shopping it seemed that the GM trucks where the only ones not rusting on the dealer lots.

13 hours ago, don67 said:

Silverado newbie here.... my first post in fact.

I've read that the Nox-Rust used on GM truck frames is miscible with oil-based rust inhibitors, suggesting that annual spraying of Fluid Film, Krown, Rust Check, Formula 3000 etc. might help maintain the original factory coating so it doesn't dry and peel off.   Does anyone have evidence for or against this?

I'm a little surprised by some of the outrage over GM's use of greasy frame wax.   Up here in Ottawa the first thing many truck owners do is bath their truck frame in a similar product.   In my shopping it seemed that the GM trucks where the only ones not rusting on the dealer lots.

This what I've seen/experienced with the waxy coating on the frame of my 2018.

I needed to "touch up some spots" right away after I bought it. There was surface rust from where the coating wore away. I tried a few different products - fluid film was fine to use on the wax (in my opinion). It didn't disturb the existing wax and seemed to adhere to it well. Now some other things I tried?? Not so much. I tried fixing a spot with bar and chain oil and a mixture of graphite - yeah let's just say the wax didn't like it - it kind of evaporated right before my very eyes. I sprayed a rubberized undercoating where I removed the wax, then fluid filmed it. It's been fine ever since (3 months later).

I ended up doing a full fluid film treatment to the truck - I considered other brands but Krown wasn't available in my area and I read that NH Oil Undercoating used some petroleum base in their product and it may/may not damage rubber components. So I stayed away from that. I don't expect the fluid film to last much more than 6 months though, so that kind of sucks that I'll have to do it twice a year, but it was fine on the wax and it sticks to everything pretty well. I drove down a dusty road after and the dust kind of "set" all of it up even further.

27 minutes ago, Doublebase said:

I tried fixing a spot with bar and chain oil and a mixture of graphite - yeah let's just say the wax didn't like it - it kind of evaporated right before my very eyes.

Good to know... will stay away from that.   

I bought a few cans of Rust Cure Formula 3000 for the brake lines, interior panels, etc.   It's a light creeping gel (vaseline with additives I suspect) which is supposedly safe for rubber and plastic.   Will see how it reacts with the factory frame coating.

Try this product to touch up your frame.  it is a wax like yellow color substance and it stays tacky and attracts dirt, so eventually it will be black like the rest of the frame.   It adheres well to painted or bare metal and it provides great protection against corrosion. The cost is about $ 9/can and most marine supply stores have it. 

crc-corrosion-inhibitor-10oz.jpg

Edited by pm26

Just clean your frame, bottom side and do touch ups once a year. I do this every spring to all my vehicles. I hate aftermarket rust proofing it all is just to messy.

Here is my underside after two winters in a HIGH HIGH salt area.

37199707_10155214884906525_719775586538037373926_10155214884921525_293561877540537286193_10155214885016525_4726286096755

8 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

Just clean your frame, bottom side and do touch ups once a year. I do this every spring to all my vehicles. I hate aftermarket rust proofing it all is just to messy.

Here is my underside after two winters in a HIGH HIGH salt area.

What were you touching up with?

Oil spraying is indeed messy, but in the long run (ie: 5-15 years) it's the only way to significantly extend the life of your frame, body panels, brake lines, fuel lines, etc. in a salty environment.

Washing alone will help, but you're still gonna end up with a lot of corrosion-related issues down the road.

On 7/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, Dr Awesome said:

What were you touching up with?

I was going to ask the same thing, it looks like black spray paint to me. I guess anything is better than nothing, but I wonder how the wax coating handles the spray paint? Like I said, doing something is better than doing nothing but I'm not sure this is the best idea. I do agree though that washing/rinsing the frame frequently in the winter is probably a good idea. However if you undercoat regularly it's something you need to be careful about (easy rinsing only or you'll be spray the undercoating off prematurely).

I think the number one key is just to do SOMETHING - don't just look under there three years from now and think everything will be fine - because it won't.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:22 AM, Doublebase said:

it looks like black spray paint to me. I guess anything is better than nothing

My experience is that spraying over rust with any product does little to slow it down.  You feel good about it for a few weeks, but the rust always comes back worse than ever.    Sanding down to bare metal then priming and painting lasts a lot longer.

If you have the luxury of a newer vehicle then your best bet is to delay the onset of rust in the first place.   Asphalt or wax coatings are an effective solution for 5 or 6 years, but after that they tend to promote rust as they dry out and crack.    Annual oil sprays are more effective, but messy.

5 hours ago, don67 said:

My experience is that spraying over rust with any product does little to slow it down.  You feel good about it for a few weeks, but the rust always comes back worse than ever.    Sanding down to bare metal then priming and painting lasts a lot longer.

If you have the luxury of a newer vehicle then your best bet is to delay the onset of rust in the first place.   Asphalt or wax coatings are an effective solution for 5 or 6 years, but after that they tend to promote rust as they dry out and crack.    Annual oil sprays are more effective, but messy.

I've heard that annual oil sprays are the best too. I'm doing fluid film twice a year, we'll see how that goes. Maybe after a few years I'll try the oil, right now I think the oil will take the factory wax right off my frame.