Where should I notice the 3.08 axle towing?

Short of writing a book. I thought I purchased a 3.42 axle 2014 Silverado and seems like I ended up with the 3.08. My fault for missing it. The sticker stated 3.42 in one place, then 3.08 in another. I expected to be frustrated with this because I'd always heard the 3.08s were bad to tow trailers. That all being said, I have towed around a few trailers with the 2014. One being a travel trailer, which is the heaviest trailer I own. Comparing this 2014, with 3.08, to my 2010, with 3.42, I still feel like the 2014 handles the trailer and generally does everything better. I expected to be unhappy with it capabilities due to the rear end ratio. Any reason why this would happen?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GM had several supply issues during the early build of this truck; one of them were with the axles, hence why there were 3.08 gears installed where 3.42s should of been used. Your truck should be rated to tow 6600 pounds, as long as your trailers are within that you shouldn't be concerned.

I almost accidentally bought a 3.08 thinking i was getting 3.42s. Luckily i found this site before i purchased.

GM had several supply issues during the early build of this truck; one of them were with the axles, hence why there were 3.08 gears installed where 3.42s should of been used. Your truck should be rated to tow 6600 pounds, as long as your trailers are within that you shouldn't be concerned.

I almost accidentally bought a 3.08 thinking i was getting 3.42s. Luckily i found this site before i purchased.

I'm seeing 7200 on my truck. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong number. GVWR is what you're saying 6600 is right?

Short of writing a book. I thought I purchased a 3.42 axle 2014 Silverado and seems like I ended up with the 3.08. My fault for missing it. The sticker stated 3.42 in one place, then 3.08 in another. I expected to be frustrated with this because I'd always heard the 3.08s were bad to tow trailers. That all being said, I have towed around a few trailers with the 2014. One being a travel trailer, which is the heaviest trailer I own. Comparing this 2014, with 3.08, to my 2010, with 3.42, I still feel like the 2014 handles the trailer and generally does everything better. I expected to be unhappy with it capabilities due to the rear end ratio. Any reason why this would happen?

Best thing would be to check the RPO tag in your top glovebox and look for the gearing codes. 3.42 gears will say GU6. Window stickers are tricky to some. On most of the left side of the sheet is all the standard equipment on the vehicle as if you bought one with no options other than what it comes with. The right side is all the added on options.

True story last year my brother in law bought two Toyotas, one was a TRD off road package. He stop by my house a week later ask me where the button was for 4WD, I look and said the same place your front rear end is, not on this truck. They said we are sorry while they he gave them an extra 5000 to get in a real TRD 4WD. He felt really stupid. Never ever believe a salesman, they told him all the way threw the buying process it was a 4x4. It really did look like a 4x4.

I have a 13 Silverado with 3.08 and i have towed 3500 to 4000 lbs with it. It tows it fine, obviously a 3.42 would tow it a little better but anymore then that I wouldn't want to tow with it.

I've put in a call to my dealer asking about what options I have to get a 3.42 truck like I originally thought I was getting... We will see what they come back and say.

I would think if the window sticker says 342 anywhere that should be what you have. I have never seen a sticker say on the left side 342, and go to the right side option to a 3.08. They owe you a change.

I would think if the window sticker says 342 anywhere that should be what you have. I have never seen a sticker say on the left side 342, and go to the right side option to a 3.08. They owe you a change.

That's sort of the way I felt as well. I still haven't heard back. We will see what the dealer is able to come up with. They may tell me to live with it. Which I will do. But will be going elsewhere brand wise next time if that's the case with this. No reason to fight, just move on and not make the same mistake again.

To top it all off. I told the salesman what I intended to do. He even did a bunch of searching at GMParts to find a harness for an aftermarket brake controller at time of sale because I told him about the travel trailer I'd be hauling around.

Im pretty easy when it comes to some of things people complain about on this site but that's not one of them. If the window sticker said 3.42 and I got an 3.08 and Im pulling all h;;ll would break loose. Its going to make the Trans run warmer and wear it out quicker.

Sounds like he is wanting to just do this as a trade-in all over again. So, I guess I'd have to take the hit on the new and buy a new truck again.

The salesman just said to bring my truck in and he'd see what they'd give me for it. Then, he'd sell me a new one. Isn't exactly the answer I wanted to hear.

If you have the 20 in wheels, it will say on the left side of the sticker that the 3.42 gears are standard; however if you look at the right side under options, it will say specifically what your truck came with.

Look in your towing manual that came in your truck documents, it states, a Crew Cab 1500 equipped with the 5.3 and 3.08 gears is rated to tow 6600 pounds which is 100 pounds less than the 4.3 with 3.42 gears. Essentially your losing 30% towing capability than the 3.42 gears..

Archived