Where should I notice the 3.08 axle towing?

Depending on what they tell you it may be cheaper to do a gear swap. Since you bought it there they may be able to give you a better price on the job...possible half off labor. Or you could go to another dealer to discuss a trade-in as they won't know what you actually paid. The current dealer will have the upper hand since they know what you paid them for your truck as you discuss trading for another new truck. If you do decide to take a bath and trade you may as well go for the 6.2 and be done with it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just going to go ahead and stick with what I've got. No need for me to create a bunch of negative equity over the gears. I'll just do a swap if it becomes a problem.

RPO codes:

GU4 3.083

GU5 3.23

GU6 3.42

GT4 3.73

Did you verify the rpo code on the glove box sticker?

(I missed it if this was asked/answered already)

I was told my truck had towing capacity of 9600, then I discovered it had the 3.08 and notified the dealership that it meant capacity was 6600. They gave me 3k credit for another vehicle or change the gears for free. Not sure what I will do yet.

If its the vehicle you like with the right options then just let them do a her swap. If you settled on that truck and compromised options then use this as the time to get what you really wanted. Not often do you get a chance to redo a major purchase with a dealer willing to work with you.

If its the vehicle you like with the right options then just let them do a her swap. If you settled on that truck and compromised options then use this as the time to get what you really wanted. Not often do you get a chance to redo a major purchase with a dealer willing to work with you.

My dealer couldn't find anything optioned like the truck I bought. He found trucks with most of the options, but not all. I think it will be cheaper in the long run for me to stick with the truck I purchased initially, and if it becomes too much of a problem, just swap gears. The 3.08 is the only option I dislike on the truck. I didn't want to swap the gearing for things like: no rear slider, no bench seat, no leather. Not to mention I've already done exhaust and window tint so I would lose the money on that.

Honestly, pulling the travel trailer it did very well. Which will be the most weight I need to pull with the Silverado. Anything heavier, I have access to a few diesels. It actually still pulls better, and gets better gas mileage, than my 2010 with 3.42 gears did. Therefore, I still see it as an upgrade right now. I am actually planning to lift the truck a bit, so would need to re-do the gearing anyways.

I was told my truck had towing capacity of 9600, then I discovered it had the 3.08 and notified the dealership that it meant capacity was 6600. They gave me 3k credit for another vehicle or change the gears for free. Not sure what I will do yet.

Is the difference between the 3.08 and 3.42 trucks just simply that? Or, is there other things different between the two?

Is the difference between the 3.08 and 3.42 trucks just simply that? Or, is there other things different between the two?

I don't think there is any other differences. GVRW stays the same, just manufactureres recomended towing changes.

I don't think there is any other differences. GVRW stays the same, just manufactureres recomended towing changes.

I should have clarified that question, my bad!

I was specifically asking if there is anything mechanically different besides the obvious gear ratio difference? As in: extra oil coolers, transmission coolers, different drive shaft, and so on.

I can't say for sure and I haven't noticed any, but I think it's very unlikely there would be any other changes.

I figured as well. Especially since there is no upcharge between gear ratios I could find.

I should have clarified that question, my bad!

I was specifically asking if there is anything mechanically different besides the obvious gear ratio difference? As in: extra oil coolers, transmission coolers, different drive shaft, and so on.

I'm pretty sure everything is the same, just different gears. If you get into the NHT max tow, there might be some extra hardware, but between 3.08 and 3.42 most trucks will be identical.

Standard equipment under MECHANICAL will lest the Rear Axel as 3.08.

If you go to Chevy's website and do a build you see that standard is 3.08

Under OPTIONS & PRICING on the right side of the sticker if it lists the REAR AXLE 3.42 RATIO INC. then you should have had a 3.42.

If your sticker has 3.42 anywhere on it I think they owe it to you. Unless of course it said NIC.

If that is the case I would tell them to get you a 3.42 or you go to an attorney. I think if you push it you get the rear end you want.

Archived