Ok I am a novice when it comes to guns, I know the major brands (Springfield Armory, Glock, etc). Looking to possibly purchase a gun to mainly leave at home in a small safe in our room or office. What would be your suggestion (caliber/size)?

I like the XD's.

Thanks!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally like .45 and a 1911. I have one loaded on my closet shelf. Nice thing is the external safety.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

9mm is a good round to start with as it will generally be cheaper to get ammo. 45 has a bit more kick but isn't bad either. I'd stay away from .40, it's a snappy round that can be difficult to learn for a beginner. Find a range that has rentals and try the XD, Glock and M&P. Those would be the three I'd recommend to start with. Sigs and HKs are excellent pistols but the DA/SA trigger is tricky to master. A consistent trigger pull is best IMO. For gun size I like the mid-size models (Glock calls these compact, not sure on the others). A 9mm Glock in this size is a G19. All of these have a barrel just under 4" and the mag should hold around 15 rounds. They're also a nice size to carry if you chose to take that step down the road.

External safety on a striker fired gun like the three I mentioned is pointless. The XD offers a model like that but I'd strongly recommend against it. Just something you're liable to forget about when you need the gun. As long as it's locked up when unattended that's all you'll need. I've carried my Glock with no manual safety most days since 2009 and haven't shot myself once. :lol:

Mike, I can agree with you some on it but with my XD service with the extra safety it makes me a little more comfortable. If you pratice with the thumb safety it will not be a problem in my opion. I make sure to run a few rounds thru it every week or two just to make sure that I remember, it is just like the laser if you don't turn it on what good is it. I make sure I can load and cock with either hand and with and without gloves and draw if from where ever it may be, I pratice sitting in the truck, while getting out of the truck and any other thing I can think of so not to get caught off guard. :jester:

Home defense a 12 gauge pump shotgun with 00 buckshot rules.

Auto Handguns are only good if you are proficient with their use.

Automatics can jamb, certain ammo can jamb in certain guns.

Shooting hundreds of rounds through a gun will teach you what to watch out for.

Even the best guns take practice and more practice to avoid failures.

In a defense situation you may only get one chance.

If you are one who has limited experience and will not practice much I would stick to a revolver for home defense.

Less chance for failure.

Passing advice to a novice I have to say.

If you are really a true novice, take some classes.

Unlike hunting guns and firearms used for target practice, a handgun bought and used for home defense or concealed carry is a tool that represents taking someone's life. Treat it with that respect.

I own an XD and am a big fan of them. Very good shooting gun, very comfortable in the hand (at least for me), obviously you would have to try to see if it feels good to you. Never had a jam, very easy to clean. Mine is the M version in .45. 1911's from Springfield also shoot very well as do the ones from Sig Sauer.

For at home/ plinking - target practice.. I would choose a fullsize 9mm double stack pistol.

You cannot go wrong with these three: Glock 17 or Glock 19, S&W M&P 9mm, or the XD 9mm.

The reason I pick 9mm for your option is you stated your newer to guns, they have less recoil, plenty of stopping power, a little cheaper then 40s&w or 45 acp, and you generally get 2+ rounds over 40 or 6-7+ rounds over the .45acp.

Ensure it has a rail so that if you decide to make it a home defense gun you can run a light.

Shoot atleast 200 rounds through it before using it as a HD weapon to ensure it's broken in, and test the Hollow Point of your choice. Of the 3 above, none of them are going to be much more then 550$, none of them have reliability issues, and there all 3 polymer framed guns. See what fits your hand best, and if you have buddies that have them test them out before you try them.

My .02.

Jerry.

I would not recommend a revolver for HD use. Only six rounds, the only rounds worth a damn (357 mag or better) are too much for in home use IMO and will destroy your hearing. I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through my various pistols and could count the number of failures on my "critical" guns with one hand. And it was all with bulk cheapo ammo. Worrying about a quality auto pistol jamming with good ammo is like worrying your airbag won't deploy when it should. Nevermind that the pull if you don't cock the hammer first is like 12 lbs, that's too much.

Sorry I wouldn't agree with that logic, especially from someone who doesn't practice much.

Point is you have shot thousands of rounds and you know which loads work which do not.

You have put the work in and most people do not have various pistols or a gun they have shot enough to decide it is the critical one.

Revolvers have less things that can go wrong.

Still for home defense the 12 gauge pump rules.

Agreed. The 12 ga. is good for HD. Just have to be in the ballpark with it to be effective. Works great in the dark. I know, I've used it before with a 9mm as backup. The less familiar you are with guns, the better the revolver is

Revolvers absolutely can malfunction. That stupid lock Smith puts on most can lock up uncommanded, the trigger and cylinder can get out of sync and though it's unlikely you'd need to, reloading a revolver is going to be much harder under stress than an auto.

For a pistol, hands down a SIG P220, .45APC. Get the right gun once and never look back. I have shot mine for years and out of the box shoots true and basically never jams. I would also recommend a H&K in the same caliber. You just have to remember in home use even a .45 hollow point will penetrate a wall. The higher velocity rounds, 9mm, .40 will go even further, the .45 hollow point is a bit "safer" but still drywall is no match for a bullet. Good luck.

For a pistol, hands down a SIG P220, .45APC. Get the right gun once and never look back. I have shot mine for years and out of the box shoots true and basically never jams. I would also recommend a H&K in the same caliber. You just have to remember in home use even a .45 hollow point will penetrate a wall. The higher velocity rounds, 9mm, .40 will go even further, the .45 hollow point is a bit "safer" but still drywall is no match for a bullet. Good luck.

I have the Springfield XD Sub-Compact .40, I've had it for about a year, great quality and a great shooting gun. Haven't had one problem out of it.

Also at work, we have the Glock 23's, they are a great gun too. You can strip it and put it back together in less than 30 seconds.

Archived