Transmission Temperature?

i have a 2014 GMC Sierra double cab 4x4 with only 2,500 miles. I traveled home from work tonight which is a 30 minute drive in 65 degree weather. its straight highway driving at 65 mph with no hills and not towing anything and my transmission temperature was at 196 degrees. This seems high to me. What are these trucks supposed to run at?

Mine runs the same temp pulling my 21ft bass boat as it does unloaded. Highest I've seen it get was 203, and that was just for a second or two, then it dropped right back down.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be pulling my Ranger Z520 (about 4500lbs) for the first time this weekend. Ambient temperature should be about 40 to 45°. I believed that ambient temperature will have an effect on transmission temperatures. I'm hoping others will post their transmission temperature and note if they have that Max Trailering package on their truck. I will post my results, hopefully we can start trending what the normal temperature should be with or without a load on the vehicle.

Results from yesterday's pulling my Ranger Z520 bass boat. Ambient temperature 58°, transmission temperature 196 degrees. The transmission temperature seems high to me, but a guess time will tell.

No load at 58 anything over 150 is too high. I dont know much about the 6 speeds and the new trans thermostat, my knowledge is in the 4L60E/65E and the 4L80E. But with a decent external cooler temps shouldn't be more than 80 degrees above ambient. Once again my experience is in the 4 speeds but mine only runs about 50 above ambient.

Archived