Transmission Temperature?

If the trans cooler is still in the rad, the trans temp should run about the same temp as the engine. The last time that I check the thermostat was a 195*, But I'm not sure on the 2014.

View transmission fluid temp is one of the settings you can turn on in the drivers information center (DIC).

Owners manual

Page 5-1

Page 5-30 for base model

Page 5-32 for upper level models

No load at 58 anything over 150 is too high. I dont know much about the 6 speeds and the new trans thermostat, my knowledge is in the 4L60E/65E and the 4L80E. But with a decent external cooler temps shouldn't be more than 80 degrees above ambient. Once again my experience is in the 4 speeds but mine only runs about 50 above ambient.

The six speeds run hotter, always have. Mine has run on summer days at 180-near 200.

+1 to MikeNH.

I drive 50 miles each way to work on the freeway. In the mornings, the traffic is smooth and flowing at 65 to 70. In the evenings, it is start and stop constantly until the last 10 miles of the trip. On Fridays, it is even more brutal start and stop and forget about it if there is an accident.

I say all of that to state this, my trans temps run anywhere from 185 to 194 (highest I've seen it).

Dealer service writer states those temps are normal.

No worries, I have a 100,000 mile warranty to test out.

Mine hit like 218 with a trailer attached in stop and go traffic in Cleveland. The six speeds use synthetic ATF and are more forgiving. I've always heard 250 is where you want to be careful at on these.

T.D.T. You nailed it, the temperature is the same with load or without a load. Thanks to all that replied to this thread, I still have a problem with transmission temperature around 200°F.

T.D.T. You nailed it, the temperature is the same with load or without a load. Thanks to all that replied to this thread, I still have a problem with transmission temperature around 200°F.

I would normally agree since I am old school but With GM willing to stand behind it for 100k, I would venture to say that engineering has put a little thought into their madness.

Yeah, i've noticed mine in the 190's. This is a 6.2L with Max tow. My friend pointed out that his 2011 Dmax w/ Allison runs in the 130-140 range. I was under the impression the Max Tow has extra trans cooler? Now i'm starting to wonder.

200F is nothing to sweat for a synthetic filled tranny. From an efficiency standpoint, the less viscous, the more efficient. Less parasitic drag on the driveline. The closer you get to a carbonization point on the lubicant, and therefore the "thinner" the mix, the more fuel efficient you are. And don't worry about the steel & soft parts. The truck will be on fire before they get damaged.

Bring on the 200F. I'll get worried when I see 280F.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2007 Silverado, through all 7 years of ownership, would average around 175 deg. F in the winter, 195 deg. F in the summer/other hot days, and occasionally hit 205 deg. F under load in the summer time. My 2014 Silverado has been hitting all of these same numbers so far. You're fine.

My 07 4 speed 4l60/65 runs 150...New 6 speed 195... I will be upgrading fluid shortly to see if it helps. Both have oem coolers but 07 has Valvoline.

Been driving for almost 5 hours and current outside temp is 85. Screen shot below.

post-42817-0-18259400-1399584615_thumb.jpg

Archived