To Root or Not To Root

Possibilities are endless! Only thing is that you can never upgrade your software, like Kit Kat or whatever is next, but, you can remove all bloatware and customize deeper system components that only an admin could get to. Best thing to do is youtube it really lol. Might be some different things you can do with yours!

Cyanogen or Aokp are my recommendations. The warranty issue is history. First you can always revert to stock and there's fixes for download counter. Second Carriers and manufacturers know better now days and are leanient on the matter of custom OS's.

First thing I do with a new device is root and load CM.

CM? Have any links for this stuff for my Note 3? I was reading about Root De La Vega but it seems that it isnt available anymore

I have rooted some devices but the last phone I got (Samsung S3) I just decided to use as it came. I guess fooling with different ROMs, etc was an adventure but after I proved I could do it I decided I had better things to do with my time.

Here's the way to T-Mobile Note 3.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2613934

There's going to be a forum section for each carrier device, just search what you need. XDA is the best resource.

Quick overview;

Step 1 Odin/recovery/ROM-files

Step 2 Odin loads recovery tar/md5 to phone. Boot into recovery and load cm11 ROM.

Step 3 Enjoy your freedom.

Thats what I read so I fogured id ask for some help. I like my phone as is, but I like to change things up now and then. And I know I dont want to lose the Samsung Flipboard. I love that feature of my phone

• 3 months later...

FREEDOM!!!!! Good for you. Look on the XDA forums for roms for it, if there are any, should be by now. You should still be able to keep any apps that you want as long as it's not a system app. So whatever stuff AT&T adds on there should be fine. All you really need is a backup app. I've been using Titanium Backup (TB) for about 3 years now. There are quite a few but I'm so used to TB that I haven't bothered to shop around. I have a daily schecule set up to backup my sms/mms and upload the backup to my Box account and every couple days I have it backup all my apps.

As far as Roms after you install a custom recovery (TWRP, and the other names escape me right now) you can just make a system backup of your current stock setup so if you screw something up or hate whatever rom you chose you can quickly (takes 2-5 minutes) restore back to the exact state before you flashed a rom.

Archived