Impressions on the 4.3L V6

Looking for what anyone that has a 2014 with the V6 option in their truck thinks of it? Are you happy about the choice you made? How is the performance in daily driving situations?

I have no intention of buying a 2014 anything as a new truck will never be in my budget but if it were I couldn't imagine getting one with the 4.3 V6 in it. I had a 4x4 S-10 with the 4.3 in it and its a great engine for that truck but for a Silverado or Sierra I can only imagine how sluggish it would be. If you're going to pony up for a new truck get the 5.3 or even the new 6.2, you can never have too much power. It seems you already have a nice truck with the 5.3, would you really want to settle for a truck with LESS power? The only upside would be a few grand less initial cost and slightly better fuel economy assuming you never plan to tow anything heavy with it.

Looking for what anyone that has a 2014 with the V6 option in their truck thinks of it? Are you happy about the choice you made? How is the performance in daily driving situations?

Dealer gave me one to drive when they had my truck for recall re-flash. The new 4.3 is impress... For a 4.3 that is. If I was buying a couple work trucks for my guys that only had a bed full of equipment and maybe pull 5000 lbs around every once in a while, then yeah... I would buy them, but they would have to give me a hell of a deal, because I think the 5.3 is what $1500 more and then I would have the assurance of knowing they could pull much more if they needed to. I actually think they are tow rated pretty close, but moist of that is being able to stop, I like to be able to go when I pull out on the highway.

Spent a week in one (300 miles) while my 2012 was in the body shop and I was completely impressed. It was a loaded double cab 1LT, 4x4, 3.42 gears. Sure, it likes to rev a bit more but the thing had plenty of passing power and what not. 305ft.lbs torque is very impressive. AFM was completely un-noticeable. I wish I could have hooked a trailer to it. With alot of remote start (was cold all week) and mixed (60/40 highway/city) driving, I pulled 17.5mpg. In the winter. On winter blend. My 5.3 does 12-14mpg during the winter driving it the same way.

That said, if you were ever interested, they are definitely worth a test drive. This engine makes the same power specs as a 2004 4.8 and around the same as when the 5.3 debuted in 1999.

I have no intention of buying a 2014 anything as a new truck will never be in my budget but if it were I couldn't imagine getting one with the 4.3 V6 in it. I had a 4x4 S-10 with the 4.3 in it and its a great engine for that truck but for a Silverado or Sierra I can only imagine how sluggish it would be. If you're going to pony up for a new truck get the 5.3 or even the new 6.2, you can never have too much power. It seems you already have a nice truck with the 5.3, would you really want to settle for a truck with LESS power? The only upside would be a few grand less initial cost and slightly better fuel economy assuming you never plan to tow anything heavy with it.

Have you driven the all new 4.3? Just making sure you are aware that this is nothing like the old 4.3. Only the displacement number and the fact that its an Ecotec3 V8 with two cylinders chopped off (like the old one was based on the 350) remains the same. This thing feels alot like a small V8, sure smaller than a 5.3 but still, like a small V8.

I had a 2000 Silverado with the 4.8 V8 in it, and it was plenty powerful and quite fast. Today's 4.3 has more HP and tourque than my old 4.8 had. I still gravitated to the 5.3 V8 in my last 2 trucks, but I bet half of us could go with the 4.3 V6 and never notice a thing. I mean, in reality how many of us are towing and really on the border of over working a 5.3? If you're thinking about one I would say take one for atest drive, check out some youtube videos, etc.

• Like 1

The 4.3 puts out 285hp and 305ft/lbs

My current truck (f150 w/4.6L) puts out 292 hp and 320ft/lbs.

The difference in performance between these motors isn't much, and i think the f150 weighs more.

I pull a 5000lb (about, loaded) utility trailer with my 150. It struggles a bit on big hills now that i put 33s on it, but can still hold highway speed.

This 4.3 motor would be a great choice if you are not going to tow more than 5000.

some math: it has 50% more power, and 22% more torque than the old s-10 4.3L

• Like 1

The 4.3 puts out 285hp and 305ft/lbs

My current truck (f150 w/4.6L) puts out 292 hp and 320ft/lbs.

The difference in performance between these motors isn't much, and i think the f150 weighs more.

I pull a 5000lb (about, loaded) utility trailer with my 150. It struggles a bit on big hills now that i put 33s on it, but can still hold highway speed.

This 4.3 motor would be a great choice if you are not going to tow more than 5000.

some math: it has 50% more power, and 22% more torque than the old s-10 4.3L

Yeah I see the new motor basically only has displacement in common with the old 4.3. I went to the Chevrolet website and it looks like the 4.3 basically replaced the 4.8, though I didn't go through all the trim packages to see if it was available. Would be a great choice for the new Colorado or Canyon but I think there is some new inline 5 for them now that is even smaller that makes about the same power. For a little more you can get the new 5.3 which makes 355 hp and 380 lb-ft and claims good fuel economy. If I were spending 40K+ on a new truck, what's another 1500-2000 more to get the 5.3? I can see the point if they're used for work vehicles and initial cost and fuel economy for a fleet of them would be a substantial savings. Other than that it seems that saving a few bucks to get the 4.3 would always make you wish you had gotten the 5.3 every time you really need that extra acceleration and its just not there. Even my first gen 5.3 feels pretty peppy with the leveling kit and 33's on it though I'm comparing it to the previous truck which had the throttle body 350 which had substantially less power. 270 hp is a lot more than the 200 it reportedly made though it felt like more than that. A V8 is almost always going to FEEL more powerful than a V6 even if the numbers don't show much difference, especially when there is a significant displacement difference. The old saying "There's no replacement for displacement" applies here. That 4.3 has to work harder to make its power and most likely at higher rpm. Makes me think of the show on ESPN numbers never lie. Maybe they don't but they can be misleading at times.

Edited by greg74

I test drove a new 4.3 and it definitely has some power, not as much as the 5.3 or 6.2 obviously, but i think better than a 5.3 with 3.08

The truck i drove was a crew cab, short bed with 20" wheels and 3.42 gears. This 4.3 is not the same dog as the old S10 4.3 its basically a 5.3 with 2 cylinders lopped off the front. Should be fine for people looking for a work truck, or even a truck that wont be hauling/towing much.

I'm shopping for one right now. You have to let the preconceptions about a 6 cyl truck go.. This engine feels better than my 2011 4.8 did it's amazing BUT if you are EVER going to need the towing capacity of the v8 I would strongly suggest getting one instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my 2014 Silverado with the 4.3L V6 in October and couldn't be happier. Plenty of power and great fuel economy. One test drive was all it took for me to want it. It is my daily driver and performs perfectly on all types of roads/conditions.

This truck replaced my 1999 4.8L V8 Silverado. The new 4.3 has 30 more hp than the 4.8 did, and it feels way more powerful than the 30 extra ponies.

Yeah I see the new motor basically only has displacement in common with the old 4.3. I went to the Chevrolet website and it looks like the 4.3 basically replaced the 4.8, though I didn't go through all the trim packages to see if it was available. Would be a great choice for the new Colorado or Canyon but I think there is some new inline 5 for them now that is even smaller that makes about the same power. For a little more you can get the new 5.3 which makes 355 hp and 380 lb-ft and claims good fuel economy. If I were spending 40K+ on a new truck, what's another 1500-2000 more to get the 5.3? I can see the point if they're used for work vehicles and initial cost and fuel economy for a fleet of them would be a substantial savings. Other than that it seems that saving a few bucks to get the 4.3 would always make you wish you had gotten the 5.3 every time you really need that extra acceleration and its just not there. Even my first gen 5.3 feels pretty peppy with the leveling kit and 33's on it though I'm comparing it to the previous truck which had the throttle body 350 which had substantially less power. 270 hp is a lot more than the 200 it reportedly made though it felt like more than that. A V8 is almost always going to FEEL more powerful than a V6 even if the numbers don't show much difference, especially when there is a significant displacement difference. The old saying "There's no replacement for displacement" applies here. That 4.3 has to work harder to make its power and most likely at higher rpm. Makes me think of the show on ESPN numbers never lie. Maybe they don't but they can be misleading at times.

Stop talking out of your ass.

The 4.3 with 3.42 can tow more than the 5.3 with 3.08s and still get an extra 2 mpg. The new 4.3 has plenty get up and go, and FEELs like the 4.8L because it makes the same power at the same rpm, not higher in the Rev range such as the 3.6L.

at least drive one before you talk.

Btw the new Colorado is getting the 3.6

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by disc0monkey

We can all read a spec sheet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Edited by disc0monkey

We can all read a spec sheet.

Yes gearing does make a big difference in towing. I like on all the commercials how they say the new Silverado and sierra make 23 mpg with the 5.3. Well having those 3.08 gears is how they do it. Yes is still has the same engine but you can't tow much with it. One of the channels I subscribe to on Youtube is the fast lane truck and they test new trucks all the time. The manufacturers send them trucks to test and last year they sent them a 2013 Silverado with the 5.3 and 3.08 gears. It could only tow 6600 lbs and barely could tow their 5700 lb boat that they used in the test and that was lighter than the other trailer they used for the other trucks because it simply wasn't rated to tow it. I guess I'll agree that yes I haven't driven one so no I don't really know how it feels. V6's have come a long way in the last few years. They used to be underpowered slugs but that isn't the case anymore. The difference is not that great. I was just saying that if the initial cost isn't that much more(I think it was a $1500 option, might be more to get the 3.42 or 3.73 gears) then get the 5.3 even if you really don't need it. Down the road when you resell the truck or trade it in, it will be worth more too. Try explaining that the V6 is just as good when you have to play salesman, it will be a hard sell. Like when I was looking for my truck, if I saw that a truck didn't have the 5.3, I just moved to the next ad. That will probably be the case when you try to sell. Many people won't understand that the 4.3 is a good engine, they will just see V6 and skip your ad. As far as turbos go, well I'm sure you all are aware of Ford's ecoboost V6. Funny thing is that yes It makes V8 power but unless you really are light on the throttle or not towing, it basically makes the same fuel mileage as the V8. I think I remember reading that GM just doesn't want to try an engine like that. I think they believe that a factory turbocharged engine will be less reliable and they're probably right. Been plenty of reliability issues on the ecoboost f-150. But I can see someone making an aftermarket turbo for the 4.3 that you can add if you don't mind voiding your factory warranty.

Edited by greg74

You won't need to explain anything by the time we sell these trucks. In 2016 the 8speed will be here making the v6 even more capable. The market is already showing that people are learning that this v6 is not the same one from 60s. You just learned that 5 days ago, and you'll tell a bunch of people too.

In my opinion, this v6 when coupled to a 8speed is the future and will be the more popular engine when the cafe tightens up further. The old v6 is gone and so will that mentality. It will just take some time. When the 8speed comes don't be surprised the 6.2 is not available in the 1500, the 5.3 is the tow motor, and v6 is the weekend warrior.

Edited by disc0monkey