Stock control arms: Steel or aluminum?

With the reports I see, I'm going to check both sides to make sure they're both the same. I looked on one side today and the upper and lower were steel. March 2014 produced GMC crew AT 6 1/2 ft SLT 5.3L 4x4

Regarding availability of Z71 on the High Country, I noted that my GMC All Terrain package includes Z71.

Edited by spurshot

Anyone who has 4wd with Steel Upper control arms, and has removed them for a lift kit replacement or if you

Would just like to have Aluminum Upper control arms, Ill trade with you! I need a set of steel uppers to use

With Drop spindles, so let me know if u'd like to swap!

Btw, we all should have aluminum lower control arms, i think since '05 GM has used the lower Alum CA, in 07 in was on all 1500 chassis (truck/suv 2wd/4wd). Iirc

PLWTWO, the reason you'd need new control arms is because if you press the stock bushings out you won't be able to press the cam bushings in that come with the drop kit. Aluminum makes it a one time press fit and therefore non serviceable for bushing replacement. Which ordinarily wouldn't be a big deal since they are non serviceable ball joints anyway.

I wouldnt be pressing the cam bushings in or out of the CA, swapping the spindles, just the ball joint mount to the spindle (upper and lower), the balljoint would mount the same way to the spindle, with either CA. I was told its the force exorted on the Upper is higher then the aluminum control arm is

able to except safely. So its a lawsuit avoidance stance, Mcgaughy even saidthey'll fit perfectly with no issue, we just feel it isnt safe in the long run.

Anyone who has 4wd with Steel Upper control arms, and has removed them for a lift kit replacement or if you

Would just like to have Aluminum Upper control arms, Ill trade with you! I need a set of steel uppers to use

With Drop spindles, so let me know if u'd like to swap!

Btw, we all should have aluminum lower control arms, i think since '05 GM has used the lower Alum CA, in 07 in was on all 1500 chassis (truck/suv 2wd/4wd). Iirc

My '13 Z71 has cast iron upper and lowers.

FWIW, my 2012 4wd, 2013 2wd and 2014 4wd all have steel upper & lower control arms.

Wow, I guess GM doesn't hold conformity to close to heart. I stand corrected. Every one that has came thru my shop has had aluminum lowers... I currently own a '12 & a '13 and 2nd '14 all with aluminum lowers. Had '2 '05's, '07 and they had aluminum lowers. GM just doesn't make sense, no wonder they had cash flow issues.

My '13 Z71 has cast iron upper and lowers.

Can you take a pic- haven't seen cast iron control arms.

3post-21489-1397789953_thumb.jpg

Aluminum upper /lower and steering knuckles - denali 6.2l 4x4 with z71 option. Yes they are used to reduce overall weight(42lbs in total) for crew cabs at higher trim level and specific options

post-21489-1397789953_thumb.jpg

Im going up to the dealer in a few to look for myself since the truck arrived the other day. I will certainly provide whatever info I can get from my specific truck. Maybe at some point we will be able to determine the exact style/options that get which parts. The ppl. at bds were super cool. They were going to let me get one complete kit and then also get the other type of knuckles/arms so that when the truck arrived I'd have the parts I needed either way and I could return the ones I didn't need and not pay any fees or shipping charges. I figure that was more than fair offer. Only thing left to do is decide if I want the truck or not. I'm really soured by the way the incentives and pricing issue is being advertised. Spent 3 days trying to get straight answers and still unable to. Its to the point of principle. The plan is to go see the truck in person today. If they can explain to me all the details of advertised prices, incentives, etc. I'll buy the truck. If I don't get a good feeling from their explanation I'm going to say thank you for your time, and get something else. I don't like being treated like a fool. I especially don't like when someone tries to bait and switch me. If that's what I come away with I'm walking for sure. Either way. I'll check knuckles and arms before I do.

I have a CC LTZ Z71 standard bed with steel. I read the following in another forum. "Any time you have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other, there will be some degree of galvanic corrosion. (It's actually the principle that makes batteries work.)

The parts can end up 'welding' themselves together. (and yes, salt helps that process along) So that's why you always use an anti-seize compound when you put steel (or stainless) fasteners in to an aluminum part."

Edited by TX14Z71