Stock control arms: Steel or aluminum?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2015 Denali cc short box 6.2l forged steel upper and lower. No vibration or driveline issues.

I wonder if there is a correlation between the drivetrain issues and the type of control arms being used.

It would be nice if people would list if they have issues, and what type of control arms they have. Just in case they're related.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

2017 GMC Sierra SLT CC 4x4 OffRoad Pack (Z71), Premium Plus Package, 6.2 - Steel

Aluminum may be lighter and stiffer, but betting not stronger even if it's thicker.

From what I've been seeing there is zero rhyme or reason to which gets the aluminum and which gets the steel, which is absurd on GM's part to just randomly throw different metal control arms on different trucks.

I'd think Z71 trucks should have steel, as hitting a rock on the control arm while off roading I can imagine the steel ones would fair much better than the aluminum ones.

Also read in this thread somewhere that someone was comparing the weight savings of control arms to lighter weight wheels and tires. Not the same. Wheels and tires are unsprung rotational mass directly attached to the drivetrain and turned by the engine.

Control arms are not.

Edited by Driver72

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When did they start using stamped steel on the 1500's? I am waiting for a truck but wanted to buy the lift kit ahead of time im 90% sure from reading these posts its steel just not sure if its whether to choose stamped steel or just steel the truck is a 2014 high country 5.3l 4x4 not a z71. seems like the newer trucks 2016/2017 are running stamped steel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
border_3.gifspacer.gifborder_3.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifborder_3.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

What's the difference between stock cast steel and stock stamped steel

Steel Cast Control Arms

Steel control arms are offered on 2007-up models and have a BLACK finish.

A magnet will stick to steel arms.

confg-help-control-arm-steel-cad.jpg
Aluminum Cast Control Arms

Aluminum control arms are offered on 2014-up models and have a GRAY finish.

A magnet will NOT stick to aluminum arms.

confg-help-control-arm-alum-cad.jpg
Stamped Steel Control Arms

Stamped Control Arms are offered on 2016-up models and feature welded seams, a rounded steel construction, and a concave sway bar pocket.

They have a BLACK finish and a magnet will also stick to stamped arms.

confg-help-control-arm-stamped-cad.jpg