RECALL (3/28/14) Transmission Line Leak

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An interconnecting bar on the half shaft on some Cruzes “may not meet GM specification and could fracture and separate,” GM said. If that happens while driving, the vehicle would lose power to the wheels and coast to a stop but maintain steering and braking control, GM said.

Maybe if they quit making parts in China they will not need recalls such as this one.

Doubt a buy back for this. Plus we should all be able to check our fittings ourselves in a couple minutes. Plus if only 3 have noticed a leak so far it's pretty safe bet most are tight

Doubt a buy back for this. Plus we should all be able to check our fittings ourselves in a couple minutes. Plus if only 3 have noticed a leak so far it's pretty safe bet most are tight

I agree. I just had my truck in for a oil change last week. I am sure if there was a leak he would of seen it.

Just spoke to my guy in service he said a customer took a new Denali for a test drive in Anaheim and it caught fire on the test drive and this is what the speculation is on the lines but he said mist likely trucks built from Jan this year and on are going to be the ones recalled trucks built in 13 should be fine. He said if your worried go tug on the cooler lines and see if they have play. Keep in mind anyone who has worked on cars and knows trannys a lose line means a pressured shot of tranny fluid..

Mine was built in Sept too. My guy at the service desk at my dealership who also bought a 14 Silverado after seeing mine told me we should be fine that it will most likely be trucks built from Jan 14 and on. He said nothing has even been sent to dealers yet.

I think its pretty bad/funny that some poor guy wanted to buy a Denali and ended the test drive watching it go up in smoke.. From New car smell to new burned/melted smell.

"GM said the trucks might have a transmission oil cooler line that is not securely seated in its fitting. That could cause transmission oil to leak from the fitting, drip onto a hot surface and start a vehicle fire."

Is this the type of leak that might drip slightly so you would see oil spots in the driveway or garage floor over an extended time? Would that prompt you to go to the deal ASAP instead of waiting for the GM 'letter'? Or will the transmission oil cooler line fitting let loose all of the sudden and lots of oil drain out and ruin your driveway?

Wow great. Wonder which build dates this will affect.

I tend to believe my guy on the Jan14 and newer trucks being the recalled ones as it also covers the new 15 Tahoe/Yukons.. So either it covers everything from start, which he said no, or just the later ones.

"GM said the trucks might have a transmission oil cooler line that is not securely seated in its fitting. That could cause transmission oil to leak from the fitting, drip onto a hot surface and start a vehicle fire."

Is this the type of leak that might drip slightly so you would see oil spots in the driveway or garage floor over an extended time? Would that prompt you to go to the deal ASAP instead of waiting for the GM 'letter'? Or will the transmission oil cooler line fitting let loose all of the sudden and lots of oil drain out and ruin your driveway?

Well judging by the fact that their recall is to have you come in and inspect it, most likely it's just lose and may start leaking vs. just coming undone at once.. If undone at once no amount of inspection will help unless it's right about to happen, or it's a certain defected connector they are looking for, but it sounds to me like a failure in tightening it, not the plug itself.

Archived