01 silverado 3500hd 8.1 studder/low power

treehugginhippi

Question

Hi, this is my first post on here but I have done a search and have gone through many steps to correct the problem before I made my account.

So here we go the truck is a 2001 Silverado 3500hd 8.1l 5spd cab and chassis.

It seems to have 3 dead holes for no apparent reason.

A bit of back story. I am the mechanic for a plumbing company in Kansas City, we have 32 04-12 Chevy express 3500 6.0, 6 04-06 Silverado 3500, and 3 of these 8.1turds 2 of which run perfect and this one.

Symptoms:

runs rough has a bad studder/miss low power and it takes full throttle to keep it going 70mph.

What I have done:

As I said I have read through lots of your previous posts and have exhausted all of my knowledge and patience.

I have replaced/swapped parts from our other trucks... Those parts are,

throttle body

egr valve

map sensor

maf sensor

evap purge sol

ckp sensor

Exhaust/to rule out cats

all 8 spark plugs

all plug wires

Fuel rail

fuel pressure regulator

all 8 injectors

I also tested fuel pressure... With my scanner running the pump constant it sits at 55-57psi at idle it sits at 46-48psi and spikes back to 55ish with full throttle.

Tested coil resistance and all 8 are within spec. Also put a spark tester in and all 8 have same looking spark

ran a compression test:

1) 160

2) 158

3) 160

4) 160

5) 165

6) 165

7) 165

8) 170

this truck of the three we have had the lowest mileage @195k and also has the best care/driver.

With my scanner I shut off injectors one at a time, all changed engine tone and made the studder worse except number 2,4,7 which didnt sem to change anything. Injector test was done at 1500rpm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Archived