Fuel line o rings at the fuel rail

I took the fuel crossover line off that goes from the driver side fuel rail to the passenger side fuel rail, and when i put it back together with the old o-rings it is having a little bit of seepage. I went to the dealer and they wanted $43 for the 3 o-rings!!!!! And i would have to order them. I went to harbor freight and bought both the SAE and metric o-ring kits and as anticipated they are garbage. The oem o-ring are about 3 times as thick. I even tried doubling up two replacement ones on each line and still no go.

Question: Does anybody know the size of these o-rings? Dealer couldnt tell me.

If no one can provide dimensions, suggest you get out the calipers and measure.

And do make sure you get fuel compatible ones (usually brown in color).

I couldn't find ones locally for my fuel filter, so I ordered 50 of them (minimum quantity) for small $.

From alldata:

In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury, before connecting fuel pipe fittings, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends.

This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak.

During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.

1. Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male connection end.

1. Push both sides of the fitting together in order to engage the retaining tabs.

3:Once installed, pull on both sides of the connection in order to ensure the connection is secure.

From alldata:

In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury, before connecting fuel pipe fittings, always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends.

This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak.

During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.

1. Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male connection end.

1. Push both sides of the fitting together in order to engage the retaining tabs.

3:Once installed, pull on both sides of the connection in order to ensure the connection is secure.

This may be what i'm missing....i got the new oem o rings today but its stilll leaking. To be clear though, this is the crossover pipe between the two fuel rails that goes up over the intake manifold. There is a very chinsy metal bracket that screws into plastic to secure this line, with a torx head fastener...?

I recently pulled the fuel pipe that goes between the two fuel rails off my truck to replace the IM gasket. I'm having trouble reassembling it so it does not leak. Can anybody help me out with the procedure. I have new oem o-rings in there, but still getting slight seepage. I didtn realize i had to lubricate the o-rings the first time.

I am going to try this again with clean motor oil on the orings. Should i place them on the (male) side of the fuel pipe and install into the fuel rail, or should i stick them in the fuel rail (female) first, and then insert the fuel pipe into the rail with gasket?

Please help, Thanks!

Hmmm I never oiled my O rings when I replaced mine (same ones you did, the crossover pipe) and I didn't get any leaks afterwards. Guess I just got lucky! I also ordered mine off RockAuto cause that was the only place I could find em

Glad you fixed it!!

I just have one question regarding all this. Is your truck a flex fuel or regular fuel only? I only ask because if you have the flex fuel the O-rings are completely different from the regular fuel option. On my year it was a different size even. So depending on the year and version engine, it's possible you were given the wrong O-rings from the get go.

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

I am a new user and sorry to sign up in order to follow up on an old topic, but it was right on target for a project I am struggling with.  I have an '07 Silverado with the 5.3L engine.  I had an oil leak and upon investigation, after removing the plastic intake manifold, I found that every bolt holding the plate on top of the block - they were finger loose.  220k miles, but well maintained so this was a bit startling.  I replaced the seals on the intake manifold and the one on this plate, but I discovered another issue.

The crossover tube between the fuel rails is seeping on the driver side.  I figured they had an o-ring and started searching, found this forum post and had two questions:

• Why are there three o-rings in the kits I locate?  The crossover tube looks to just plug into each side, meaning it appears that only two would be needed.
  • What is the correct name, and perhaps a source, for the clips with the star-bolt holding each end down?  I am the second owner and it looks to me like someone pried on the clip on both sides, perhaps before discovering the star-bolts.  In any case, I want to replace both clips when I replace the o-rings.

That is it!  Why three o-rings and what is the name of the clip that holds the tube into place?

Much thanks!

Phil

Archived