Service Theft Deterrent System?

My 2014 GMC Sierra did not start today and I got this message on my 4.2" display "Service Theft Deterrent System". Tried several times to start truck then when I hit door lock button it started. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a recall? Thanks in advance.

Has this only happened to me? Is this already a topic on here?

Its happened to me twice on my 2015 HD. "Service Theft System". I had to remove the keys and open door to reset. It has happened twice. I wonder if its due to the key being new and not 'broken in' to the cylinder?

I had my truck since October and this just started to happen. I use original key but I have not tried the other key. I have a appt. on Thursday to take to dealer. Will keep you posted.

Its happened to me twice on my 2015 HD. "Service Theft System". I had to remove the keys and open door to reset. It has happened twice. I wonder if its due to the key being new and not 'broken in' to the cylinder?

No, it is due to cylinder being made in China, Mexico, Thailand, Sri Lanka, who knows where. Globalization, my friend. Marginal to no quality control, cheap parts. Somebody has got to get a crappy one.

Edited by pm26

Ok, got it back from dealer and they could not find anything wrong. No codes or faults on computer. I guess we will wait for it to happen again. Nobody else seems to have this issue?

I had this happen twice last week. But I have an aftermarket remote start ( it is an all terrain but I like the remote start to run longer than two ten minute times which doesnt work 50% of the time) the dealer figured this was probably the issue.

It has happened when I remote started it. The message came up but it still was running and the message disappeared after it sat all day and I started it again. Taking it to the remote starter shop next week.

Anyone else run into this?

It does not sound like a remote start issue. I was not using the remote start on mine when the message was displayed. Also I could not even start my truck. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it happens every second day now. Took the truck to the dealership and asked them to check it. They say it isn't the truck, it has to be the remote start. It only happens when using the remote starter.

Called the remote start guy, he has never seen this before so it can't be his product.

Here comes the headaches........