2014 5.3 Oil Question

Does the new 2014's come with synthetic oil or conventional ? I swapped off a 06 Sierra with a 5.3 and I used Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic. If it is dino oil how many miles should I put on it before swapping over ? What is you guys oil preference ?

Thanks,

Yotaman

After my two years are up, I'm going to stick with the dealer changing my oil with the blend. He says he can do the complete oil change for $53 (or something like that). I can't buy the 8+ quarts of full synthetic 0W-20 for that.

After my two years are up, I'm going to stick with the dealer changing my oil with the blend. He says he can do the complete oil change for $53 (or something like that). I can't buy the 8+ quarts of full synthetic 0W-20 for that.

You can at walmart and you get to see how the other half lives

+1. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 = $25 for 5 qts. About 15 minutes and no special tools needed. Bonus is you don't have to leave your truck at the dealership or wait for the oil life monitor to bottom out.

So for the 8.5 qts, you need to buy 2-5qt bottles (yeah, after about 4 oil changes you'll only need to buy 1). $50

Whatever the cost of the oil filter - approximately $6?

So $56 dollars vs. whatever the dealer charges. (I guessed at the $53 - I do remember that when he told me how much they charged, it was a no-brainer for me, so it could have been less.)

(And I don't have to let the oil life monitor bottom out if I don't want to)

+1. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 = $25 for 5 qts. About 15 minutes and no special tools needed. Bonus is you don't have to leave your truck at the dealership or wait for the oil life monitor to bottom out.

Only trouble is you need 8.5.

8.5/5x25=$42.5, + filter = $?

Diana, you're missing the point. Do you think doing what the OEM wants you to do benefits you or the OEM more? Benefit of doing it yourself is that you do not have to wait for the OLM to dictate your changes, which is going to be in the 7 to 10 Kmile interval.

If you trade or sell your stuff every couple of years, I agree it makes no sense to change the oil more frequently than what is recommended

What is the rule with changing your own oil and keeping the warranty going? I figured a dealer or shop would have to change to give you a record. Could someone fill me in?

What is the rule with changing your own oil and keeping the warranty going? I figured a dealer or shop would have to change to give you a record. Could someone fill me in?

If your worried, keep a log including receipts for materials

Between question...when do I go to the dealer to have this done? Noob question but I've never had a "warranty" and "4 free services". I'm currently around 75 with 3500 miles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Diana, you're missing the point. Do you think doing what the OEM wants you to do benefits you or the OEM more? Benefit of doing it yourself is that you do not have to wait for the OLM to dictate your changes, which is going to be in the 7 to 10 Kmile interval.

If you trade or sell your stuff every couple of years, I agree it makes no sense to change the oil more frequently than what is recommended

After my 2 free years of service are up, I can still pay to have the dealer change my oil as often as I want. I don't have to wait for the OLM to dictate anything.

Archived