Changing 5.3 to a 6.0

JoshOceano

Question

As said earlier I did this swap with the LQ9. Including engine, tuning, and install I paid $3000. I was out of the truck for 2 days. The shop ran 8-5. Try to drop in a gen 4 and you will (generally speaking) be out more time and money

If you plan on just dropping it in, go with a LQ9

If you plan on doing heads, cam, forced induction, etc. go with an LQ4 from the start to save some money, plus the heads have a lower compression on an LQ4

I do believe they have different piston tops though, one is dished and one is flat Im pretty sure

These motors are also probably cheaper than that 08 6.0 cause that sounds like the all aluminum L76 motor from the Vortec Max labelled trucks

And don't forget about a tune, and beef up your trans. (which Im assuming is a 4L60E is your truck is automatic)

Yes custom tune is better and about the same price as a canned tune. As far as an LQ4 or lq9 you can find em at your local junkyard or look on ebay or craigslist. I believe Chris listed all the vehicles that the LQ9 came in in the second post of this thread

Oh the LQ4 was for the HD trucks so if it says it came out of a 2500 or 3500 with 6.0L then it is an LQ4. Should have a block casting # on it and you can tell by it having iron heads

Sent while drinkin' a cold one...

If you go with something newer than 06 be prepared to open your wallet to make it work. The engines I listed are qlmost plug and play. Only extra work needed is a retune

Yes custom tune is better and about the same price as a canned tune. As far as an LQ4 or lq9 you can find em at your local junkyard or look on ebay or craigslist. I believe Chris listed all the vehicles that the LQ9 came in in the second post of this thread

Oh the LQ4 was for the HD trucks so if it says it came out of a 2500 or 3500 with 6.0L then it is an LQ4. Should have a block casting # on it and you can tell by it having iron heads

Sent while drinkin' a cold one...

NO! if it has iron heads run away. Far far away. If the head casting is 317 you are good to go. Both 6.0s ran the aluminum 317 castings after 02.

Archived