Potential 2014/15 1500 Buyer

Hey guys, noob to this board. I'm looking at getting a LTZ crew cab 4x4 short bed V8 truck in the next 6-9 months. Tired of using my built 335i for daily use and work. I've narrowed it down to either the ram or the Silverado. Being this truck will be work used, warranty and reliability is very important to me. I pay for breakdowns right out of my pocket.

Pros/Cons of the Silverado for me:

+Direct injection

+Light weight/not a big pig

+New rear axle w/disc brakes (Don't let the door hit you on the rear-end old drum 8.8 10 bolt junk)

+Quiet interior

+Good entry/exit and bumper steps.

+Burns 87 gas.

+Rear Locker Diff (G80)

+Good braking distances from what I've been sing by the car mags. 19' less than ram 70-0.

-Vibration woes with so many people including a coworker of mine who swapped into a SUV/Yukon b/c of the vibration that was not fixable.

-6spd trans when ram has a ZF BMW 8spd.

-No grille shutters

-Column shifter. Really. A 2004 Titan has a console shifter. What year is it, 1908.

-Key. No push button comfort access. My mom's 2009 Altima has it and she paid $19k for it.

Ram:

+Looks/sportier

+20's are standard

+8spd w/Dial shifter

+Nice sized rear axle w/discs

+Grille shutters (I'm sorry, that's a cool tech item)

+push button start/comfort access

-Not a full rear locker from what I gathered. LSD vs G80.

-No bumper steps

-Heavier/bigger truck

-Worst in class braking distances from I've seen 70-0

-No direct injection on the Hemi

-Higher Decibels at hwy cruising speed

-1mpg less than the GM trucks

-EPA sticker states 89 Octane!!

So am I looking at things correctly or what? I really want to hear "Yes, there is a fix for the vibration, TSB # XXXX". But I haven't found it. I can't believe the RAM's EPA rating is with 89 octane, and it's already 1mpg less than the GM trucks. So it's really more than 1mpg difference. It's 1mpg + the price difference between 87 and 89. My BMW runs 91/93. I wanna buy 87 for my DD. I know there is no way in hell I'll get the Z71 pkg. But I do want the locking diff and 4x4. When is GM going to complete their new platform trucks? They are so close to having the king of the hill.... I would never of looked at the previous gen. junk 10 bolt axle, drums, crap etc... This new truck has my attention.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I'm scared to custom order a truck and it vibrate. I'm more inclined to test drive a few and make sure I don't buy one that has a vibration to begin with. Agree, the column shifter does allow for more console room. and I am looking for buckets.

I think this forum is a good source to have your questions answered. Best bet would be to read about the issues that some are experiencing. I for one have not had any issues to date and I have about 3000 miles on the truck. I'm glad I purchased.

I am estatic to see the old rear axle go bye bye. I want to pop some bottles over it. That has been my complaint about GM 1/2 tons since the early 2000's when I got into trucks.

Why? It holds up fine and despite all the irrational hate for the drums, they provided competitive stopping distances. The pre-2005 1500s with rear discs sucked if you drove on dirt roads at all cause they ate pads like no tomorrow. As for the rest, if shutters made a difference GM would be using them, the truck already has class leading fuel efficiency. And I specifically would avoid console shifters and the keyless ignition, I hate both so that's a moot point.

I didn't see an issue with the old axles. 110,000 trouble free miles from mine, and I've seen trucks with 300,000 and no issues. The grille shutters are just another thing that will quit working after a few years, trigger a code, and cost $$$ to get fixed. Gadgets like that always go wrong eventually.

My .02, if you want a car you can use as a truck, Ram. If you want a truck you can use as a car, GM.

The best place to get advice on the most reliable trucks to drive would be your local independent garage. They would know the trends because they do change. Its one thing ifs a trucks is annoying, its another if it leaves you on the side of the road. The one I know is a ford man, he drives an old 7.3. His wife a drives new Chevy, his kid drives a Chevy too. The trucks he works on the most are Dodges.

The new rams have come a long way. My superintendent has had two. his '07 SLT and then a '12 Laramie. Both high mileage construction trucks driven all over the southeast. His '12 did have some crazy headlight issue which the dealer took 3 or 4 months to fix b/c it's a TIPM issue. Total integrated Power Module. That scares me on the RAM's. Lots of TIPM issues if you search. Poor guy was driving from Tampa to Panama city every week at 3am with 1x headlight and fog lights. Dealer finally rewired it or brought in a guru or something. That was the only nightmare issue he had with both trucks. Brand new truck and 1x headlight didn't work for 4 months. I just think Rams still got some "reliability" QC issues it's working on. Yes GM has issues, but is a crappy door panel leaving you on the road? no. I agree. I think GM takes the approach of using the oldest tech and re working it. Push rods, 6 spd trans etc. For got sake the SB Chevy engine is from the 50's. They're stuff evolves very very very slow. So hence, reliability is higher than average as should be expected. I have my twin turbo BMW. So I don't need the fanciest or whatever truck. I want a good truck. But vibrations drive me nuts. I personally have 2 shops that let me witness all my tire balancing on the 9700. If you don't witness it you get some num nut drunk that has not clue how to use the 9700. I just chased a vibration on my wife's '13 Honda CRV. Honda dealer balanced the tires and said they're fine. I drove it to my guy, it was WAY out. Vibration gone. Just an example. Turns out The Honda dealer told me they road forced balanced the tires and only 1x Honda dealer in Tampa has one, and it was not the Honda dealer I was at. So they lied about even having a 9700. Is this big boon-doggle about vibrating trucks from bad trucks or hill billy techs? The reality is the techs at the BMW dealer are awesome from my experiences. And they work with much higher tech cars and equipment. The GM dealers flat out don't. So I wonder if the vibrating trucks stem from old school techs who don't check pinion angle or use the 9700 properly. Regardless, GM owes owners, dealers and techs a TSB to put this crap to bed.

One important question. 20's vs 18's. Does the truck drive or ride like **** with the 20's? We have '08 Pontiac G6's, 4cyl Auto's at work. I drove a strip down with steels. My boss had a loaded 4cyl with the big chrome wheels. I drove his and it drove terrible. Mine drove way better. It's like the wheels were too big for the cars suspension. Rode Ghetto and slower. That's why I'm hesitant to get the 20's. I have staggered 18's on my BMW and LOVE IT. Drives like a precision piece of machinery. But if the 20's actually make the steering and responsiveness crisper, I'll do 20s.

My brother owns an independent Auto Repair shop. I think he said it best. "It's hard to buy a bad vehicle these days, they're all good." That brings it down to what you like and need best. My Silverado doesn't vibrate. I'd drive the truck up to 80 or 85 before I bought it to be sure yours doesn't vibrate. I prefer the column shifter in my bucket seat console equipped truck. It's easier to have your hand close to the steering wheel if you are shifting in manual mode. Console shifters are reminiscent of 60s muscle cars with four speeds. A dial shifter would take me time to get used to. I remember the pushutton shifters Chrysler had in the 50s and they got away from them in the 60s. Ironically they went back to the column shifter. I also fail to see the benefit of 8 speeds over six in a gas powered truck with a fairly wide torque band. On the other hand the Dodges look nice, I have 20" wheels on my Silverado, and If a kid asks you can say you have a Hemi and don't need a key.

I have 6,000 miles on my 14, and the only issues I have had is the seat issue, which didn't show up until after 3 weeks of ownership. I don't have vibration issues with the truck and I have 20"s on mine. I will say that Ram, Ford, or GM make great trucks, and every forum you go to there are going to be issues with all of them, its the nature of the beast. I do like my truck, and would not trade it at this point, but there are things that I wish were better. I still don't understand how the engineers didn't get the steering wheel centered in the interment panel, and I wish the MYLink system was a bit faster. As far as gas mileage goes, I think you could drive any one of the three trucks and get pretty close to the same MPG, my cousin had a 2011 5.0 crew cab 4x4 F150 and if I drove it like I do my 2014, same gas mileage, and I am guessing I would drive the Ram the same way and it would come out with the same gas mileage. The main reason I choose the Silverado over the Ram and F150, my buddy is a sales manager at a Chevy Dealership, and I always try to support my friends and the other reason is for service, if I need anything done, I can get a vehicle to drive. I actually like the Ram a lot, and wouldn't have a problem buying one, but for you, drive them both and get the one you feel most comfortable in. You are the one making the payments, not us, so its your call. Don't let the guys with the all the trouble scare you, they are great trucks, and most dealers I would feel would work with you if you had issues. Good Luck and let us know what you go with.

Some of your pros and cons can be dispelled. Console shift can be had in an LTZ for cheap or is in included I forget. Weight difference between the two is 200lbs, not sure thats a make or break. And grill shutters, i understand them, but dont get it. Chevy still does better MPG and everybody I know that owns a hemi says they are gas hogs.

Archived