GM-GUY's 2014 Denali 6.2L 4x4 Build

jcchevy

I always say, if its stock its not my truck. So here goes a start of my build thread. Hopefully others find it helpful when purchasing new items or seeing what it looks like with X modification on it.

Enjoy.

Ordered the Denali on 9/28/2013, was the first on the dealer's lot with a 6.2L on 11/4.

Stock Configuration:

• 2014 GMC Sierra Denali 4x4 Crew Cab Z71
  • 6.2L Engine (420HP/460TQ)
  • 3.43 Gears 6 speed
  • MISC: power sunroof, power sliding rear window, integrated brake controller

In Stock Form:

2014 Denali - stock exterior

2014 Denali - interior power sunroof

2014 Denali - stock exterior

Modifications made to this point:

American Racing ATX Teflon 20x9 Wheels (0mm offset) on stock 275 tires; (no lift/level at this point) ; AMP Power Steps; 20% front window tint/match rears;

2014 Denali - 20x9 ATX Teflon Ledge 188 Wheels (3)

2014 Denali - 20X9 Atx teflon ledge 188 pic2

20X9 Atx teflon ledge 188 pic2 (5)

20X9 Atx teflon ledge 188 pic2 (2)

A.R.E. LSX Fiberglass Tonneau

ARE tonneau cover (3)

ARE tonneau cover (2)

ARE tonneau cover (1)

Bed Rug GMC Branded

2014 Denali -  5'8" Bedrug - With GMC logo

2014 Denali - 5'8" Bedrug - With GMC logo

! COMING SOON !
Fabtech 6" Suspension Lift ; 35" /12.50 / r20 Dick Cepek Fun Country Tires (new tread style) ; Bully Dog Performance Tuner

If I was you, I would wait from Black Bear Performance, or the AutoCal thing to support TCM adjustments, then go the custom route. You will love it more than a generic cann tune.

Thanks for the feedback. The dealer sell/programs the bully dog and don't balk at the warranty jargon. It's no custom tune by any means and right now I am completely satisfied with the power and drivability the 6.2L has stock. The "tuner" was mainly to correct the speedometer and get the computer back on the right track for shift points and possibly turn off AFM. Plus it does have other goodies with it. And the great thing about the Bully Dog is its fully interchangeable. I can take it out of my Denali anytime and then sell it to some Ford or Dodge Smuck :).

• 2 weeks later...

ADDED: Dick Cepek Fun Country 35 x 12.50 r20 tires

Since this is a build thread, I figured I would separate the components a little bit. These are my new treads. Here is my short term review. The tires are much more aggressive in person, then pictures, especially the OEM picture displays. They are much louder then stock, but on a 2014 GM trucks, the inside is still super quiet with just a little "growing" noise heard, and at times "rumble" which is expected. On a 2013 or older vehicle, it will be noticeably louder inside.

Again, these are NOT street tires. If street tires were a 1, and Mud Tires were a 10, i would rate these around 7-8, even though there sold with them as being about in the middle.

With that said, the tires ride great, they look mean as hell, and they were balanced perfect (did take a bit a weight to balance, i was told).

35inchDickCepek (2)

OEMpic

35inchDickCepek (1)

• 2 months later...

I finally got to the only Sierra emblem on the Denali. Heated it up with a blow torch (yes you can use a heat gun too) to remove the chrome pieces.

After that it was a matter of some elbow grease peeling back the sticky foam left over, then finalizing the removal by using GooGone done over several passes.

It helped a lot using one of those soft wire bristle sponges used for dish washing. It speeds up the process and does not scratch the paint.

No More Sierra Emblems

Here are some before and after photos from stock to what it is with the 8" Fabtech (7.5") suspension performance kit and 35" x 20" tires and wheels. Soon I will be swapping out the Dick Cepek tires with some Toyo tires and will provide new pics then.

before after supension lift 35 tires

• 2 weeks later...

New tread after riding on the Dick Cepek tires for 3000 miles, they were not good tires. Got rid of them and replaced them with a set of Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes (295/65r20). There actually a 1/2" taller them what my Dick Cepeks were. Overall, very satisfied with this setup.

8" Fabtech Lift w/35" Toyo AT2 Extremes w/20x9 Teflon Wheels

35xToyoOpenCountryTiresInstalled 201407223

Archived