Mpg for new gas 2500

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

12.5 mph combined. Not that bad considering the heavy traffic I have to deal with in the city with a lot more idle time than I'd like. Been running regular, did run a few tanks of premium when I first got it but no difference in performance and only very minor mpg (.3 mpg at most) difference to justify the price. I did add a K&N filter to the stock airbox, don't see a mpg difference but do notice better response in the low and mid range.

• 1 month later...

12.5 mph combined. Not that bad considering the heavy traffic I have to deal with in the city with a lot more idle time than I'd like. Been running regular, did run a few tanks of premium when I first got it but no difference in performance and only very minor mpg (.3 mpg at most) difference to justify the price. I did add a K&N filter to the stock airbox, don't see a mpg difference but do notice better response in the low and mid range.

Every time I see 6.0 mileage thread with guys claiming near 20mpg I can't help but to want to show them how to calculate their actual mileage. It's a simple distance vs. volume thing. Run a full tank and not a nice honey trip over a selected distance. They'll be in for a shock lol. I average pretty much exactly what you do and I'm in northern Canada. The 6.0 is among the most reliable and best purpose built engines on the planet but fuel economy is not one of it's virtues. If you can get an honest 15mpg though a tank you're doing good.

I just took a trip running about 250 miles along I75. Tried my best to keep it between 70 & 75 mph without getting run over. Averaged 16.8 mpg with a 17.4 mpg best. Not bad!

Some of you guys truly fascinate me with that "getting run over" stuff. I typically run 65 on the interstates and never feel like I am going to get "run over". Even in my Cadillac CTS let alone my 3/4 ton.

I aint afraid of being run over by anything when I am in my truck. Save maybe a semi driver having a heart attack. But if you don't drive like an idiot and you stay in the right lane except to pass on the highway, you'll be just fine. If someone starts to ride my bumper, I gradually slow down 1 MPH at a time until they get annoyed enough and pass.

Every time I see 6.0 mileage thread with guys claiming near 20mpg I can't help but to want to show them how to calculate their actual mileage. It's a simple distance vs. volume thing. Run a full tank and not a nice honey trip over a selected distance. They'll be in for a shock lol. I average pretty much exactly what you do and I'm in northern Canada. The 6.0 is among the most reliable and best purpose built engines on the planet but fuel economy is not one of it's virtues. If you can get an honest 15mpg though a tank you're doing good.

True that^ Though, it depends on what gears you have. I have 4.10's in my '12 CCSB and The best I've seen so far is 15.5ish over a full tank at ~65mph. My brother has an '11 ECSB with 3.73s and gets about 2mpg more if he's babying it.

20 mpg is a way on the high side, but with a tail wind not improbable. On road trips, I have seen 17-18 frequently. In local areas, rolling hill 2 lane highways, and such, 14-15 seems to be realistic frequently. Only in winter doing local stuff do I get into the 12-13 mpg average range. That is with 4.10 in my 2015 and typically running around 65 mpg on highway trips.

Wow the fuel economy on the 6.2 is really that low? I am shocked. My duramax does way better. And diesel right now is running almost 20 cents a gallon cheaper than regular. just got back from the coast going over I got 11 pulling my 5th wheel. On the way back (without the trailer) I was getting 23 mph. And those calculations include two mountain passes that I have to go over to get to the coast and some stop and go stuff at either end. That baby get better milage the harder I run it. It really likes to run at 1900 RPM which is at 65-70 mph.

Wow the fuel economy on the 6.2 is really that low? I am shocked. My duramax does way better. And diesel right now is running almost 20 cents a gallon cheaper than regular. just got back from the coast going over I got 11 pulling my 5th wheel. On the way back (without the trailer) I was getting 23 mph. And those calculations include two mountain passes that I have to go over to get to the coast and some stop and go stuff at either end. That baby get better milage the harder I run it. It really likes to run at 1900 RPM which is at 65-70 mph.

If you are referring to the previous posts just before yours, the engine in question is the 6.0 in the 2500. Not the 6.2L in the 1500. Even then, it all depends on what one needs and what they are doing. My 2500 puts on less than 5000 miles a year. If I had diesel, I would certainly have DEF problems, as DEF has a shelf life to it. It wouldn't be long before I likely had downtime due to the emissions stuff on the Dmax, especially SCR problems from poor quality DEF. And I mostly haul, so any appreciable difference between the 6.0 and the Dmax is not realized, and I have an edge in payload capacity in a 6.0L 2500 than in a Dmax 2500. In towing situations, the Dmax will most certainly be more cost effective overall than the 6.0. But that only depends on what percentage of the time one is towing. It takes a lot of miles of better mpg to recoup the initial cost of the Dmax and it's downstream costs to operate. it's associated emissions stuff, and increased maintenance costs. If one is towing frequently, especially for business, that is realized pretty quickly. As a general floating around vehicle, not so much. I have diesels where I need them, and my 2500 is not a prime candidate for the diesel and what it gets used for.

I wouldn't be so giddy about the mpg you are getting from the Dmax. I can bust 9 mpg with my semi truck frequently and it's 12.7L engine. That is 32,500 lb of truck/trailer with about 35,000 lb of cargo in the trailer. I am really shocked that the Dmax gets such low fuel economy in comparison. Yesterday's load of 8 new Kawasaki UTV's in the 53 ft trailer, I got over 10 mpg with my semi. And that was with a 5 mph cross wind and some rolling hills. I actually think it is pretty sad that the Dmax 2500/3500 pickups don't do much better in fuel economy, even towing.

Archived