Mpg for new gas 2500

Nothing new yet. And why are you continuing to replace injectors? Did you have all of them replaced at 100,000 miles? If so what did you go with brand wise? Please tell me you are not using rebuilt ones! Most of the folks I know who had that first gen Duramax with injector issues replaced them and never had another injector issue again. Some trucks out there with 600,000+ miles on them on the 2nd set of injectors.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/0909phr-hot-rod-new-products/

Replaced with OEM injectors at a dealer both times (first under warranty). Spoke to the area rep during the second failure and he confirmed that they are the "new" model of injectors. Not sure why the only lasted 63K miles. I run stock filtration with a TP3012 filter changed every 10K miles.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The 6.2L has more HP, more Torque, and better fuel economy. It is just a matter of time before the 6.0L goes away. Yes it is an aluminum block but that has already been proven to not be an issue with heavy duty usage.

Could be. But the Ike Gauntlet test showing the stock 2015 6.0L and 6L90 beating a Ram 6.4L 8 speed on the hill by over a minute caused me to rethink the idea the more HP and Torque always means something better in the real world. The 6.4L has 60 more HP than the 6.0L and the 6.4 has 50 more lb of torque. Yet, the 6.0L shamed the 6.4L by a considerable margin. You are probably right that GM will eventually dump the 6.0 in the 2500/3500 pickups, but I am not as optimistic that the 6.2L will be the improvement that some do. If GM does this, I sure hope that it is a positive for those that buy them. I wasn't going to be the guinea pig and find out, so I bought my 2015 2500 6.0L. I needed one, and with the 6.2L talk, I felt the time was right to get one. Maybe I will kick myself later for jumping the gun, maybe I will breath a sigh of relief that I did what I did. Time will tell.

As for the 6.2L better fuel economy, well, the Ecotec 6.2L hasn't been offered in the 2500/3500 series pickups, so that is pure speculation. Once it is having to move much more pickup than the 1500 series, the mpg numbers may or may not be all the breathtaking. Hard to extrapolate data when the platforms are significantly different.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up a crew cab 4x4 standard bed 6.0 in rainforest green... according to the trip computer, it averaged 17.0 MPG on the highway drive home at an average speed of about 70 MPH, with speeds ranging from 55 MPH up to 85 MPH depending upon hills and traffic flow. The MPG for the whole trip, including stop and go city style driving on the front and back end, was 15.2 MPG. Not bad...

• 2 months later...

Running empty at 70 mph, my 6.2/8spd/1500 will get 20-22.

Towing a 7x12 v nose enclosed at about 3500-4000lbs at 72-73 it's more like 9.5-10.

But mpg is one thing, cost per mile is another. I average around 17-18 highway on road trips with my 2015 2500 6.0 (not towing) with E15 regular fuel in my area that is $2.39 a gallon. For an average cost of around 14 cents a mile. With the 6.2L needing premium, at $3.20 in my area, the mpg would have to be 23 highway all the time just to break even on a cost per mile basis. So the 6.0L isn't quite as bad compared to the 6.2L when it comes to buying fuel to feed it. And if this 6.0L was in a pickup that only weighed as much as a 1500, the 6.0 would probably beat the 6.2 on a fuel cost per mile basis.

Having owned both, lifetime avg of my 6.2 was 16.7mpg, so far lifetime avg on the 6.0 is 14.0mpg. Where I fuel up I'm paying $4.42 for 87octane, $4.80 for premium. $0.316 per mile for the 6.0 vs. $0.288 for the 6.2.

It's not a big enough difference to lose any sleep over.

If you really wanted to compare apples to apples put 1000lbs in the bed of the 1500, put 10ply tires on it and 4.10 gears. It would likely lose at least 2-3mpg.

Where the 6.2 shines is power. It would run circles around my 6.0, the 6.0 really feels like a dog by comparison. Huge difference.

I have owned three HD 6.0 GM trucks all with 4:10 axle (the last was a 2012). I averaged 12.5 mpg in all of them and never got more than 14 mpg on hwy.

My 2015 Dmax has averaged around 16.5 mpg in the first 10k miles driven. On hwy, have seen as high as 21 mpg.

I guess the perception on 6.0 being a dog compared to 6.2 is based on how one drives. My 2500 6.0 is a rural pickup that rarely sees interstate type roads. I lost my need to take off from stops like a rocket quite a long time ago. Probably just too many miles behind the wheel of semi trucks did that to me. My perception of the 6.0 is that it has all the get up and go I need. And my needs center around hauling more than towing. I am not sure I would notice any difference in performance between the motors.

It takes about 100,000 miles for the duramax to payback depending on diesel vs gas pricing. Mine is towing about 40% of the time so I decided to bite the bullet and go diesel. It tows like nothing is back there even my Catamaran which is 11k on the trailer. I get 12 mpg towing, 14 around town, 19 on the hwy(no trailer).

Towing that frequently, the Dmax is a good choice. I would have thought that your highway mpg not towing would be more. There is really something wrong with any of these diesel pickups to get such lousy mpg. I know it is not the same thing, but I can get 9 mpg with my semi truck, which weighs in at 32,500 without any freight in the box. Unloaded, I have busted 11 mpg frequently. Today, I got 9 mpg all day long with 23,000 lb of freight in the box, bucking a 10 mph headwind, and running rolling hills with a lot of heavy holiday traffic. You would think the pickups could do much better than they do, both gas and diesel. I lay blame right at feet of GM designers. There is no excuse that a diesel pickup, with trailer in tow, that has a total GCVW less than my empty 70' long, 13.5' tall, 8.5' wide semi truck and it's 12.7L motor, and can only get a few mpg better towing than my semi that has a load on. When you look at motor displacement (half my semi motor displacement) and even towing at full GCWR (less than a quarter of my semi GCWR), the towing mpg should be at least twice what my semi gets, or roughly 18 mpg any day of the week, and more on the good days.

Archived