Empty ac system - suggestions

white1500

Question

The ac on my truck has been empty for almost two years now and this week I'm going to get it fixed. The only issue that has been diagnosed has been a major leak in the main seal within the compressor.

Most shops have given me a quote for the kit of the compressor, evap, and drier of about 1k. Not bad since that was the average from 4 shops.

But one shop recommended that I only do the compressor since nothing ever failed. For just the compressor it would be $840. Is this recommended in general? From everything I've read in the past I think that the whole kit would be best for the long term. I don't want to have to touch the ac in many many years!

Tyia.

It came out to $1500 for the whole thing and even if it does hurt to dish out this amount of money I am at peace because it was necessary. I believe the total parts were the compressor, orifice tube, drier, condenser, ac belt, schrader valve line, plus the whole system evacuation and recharge.

It's unfortunate that neglect led to such an extreme circumstance with the system, they said that it was one of the worst cases of internal debris they had seen.

In the end they also threw in the whole line with the Schrader valve because it was broken and full of junk. I believe this goes from the firewall to the condenser.

But the air blows amazingly cold and I'm honestly very pleased with the work and results, and also the treatment by the staff. And the truck can finally be used with the family in seasons other than winter!

FFS. I got a call about the "black death" which is when the compressor dies and contaminates the system. New condensor needed which will add about $400 to the tally. Im working on getting a discount.

Although this news sounds right because late last summer I tried to add freon but the compressor/system wouldn't take any of it anymore. Usually as soon as you began adding any it would begin cycling and sucking it in.

I'm just thanking God that I'm financially prepared for this at the moment. A career boost that began in December was a life changer.

FFS. I got a call about the "black death" which is when the compressor dies and contaminates the system. New condensor needed which will add about $400 to the tally. Im working on getting a discount.

Although this news sounds right because late last summer I tried to add freon but the compressor/system wouldn't take any of it anymore. Usually as soon as you began adding any it would begin cycling and sucking it in.

I'm just thanking God that I'm financially prepared for this at the moment. A career boost that began in December was a life changer.

If adding refrigerant on the low side did not make the compressor come on at all, it may have a pressure sensor not working as well. The clutch on the compressor should have at least tried to apply, even if the compressor is seized.

Txab is right a lot of places recommend changing the compressor, dryer, and orifice tube just to warranty it if you change just the compressor and aething happens in 30 days they might not warranty it. Napa here in the big town of Sumter sc sells a bundle at a decent price that includes compressor, dryer, orifice tube, oil and flush, you might want to try them and just have someone install.

Good to hear it all worked out for you. As for price, I have always held the belief that if someone is happy with the value they got, then the price was right. Was the line they replaced the one with the fixed orifice tube in it?

Yeah black death is about as bad as it gets. Ends up easier to just trash everything and start over, which is pretty much what they did for you.

I still can't get over the costs of parts and labor these days. It's insanity. I'd better start investing in machine tools and start making my own parts! :lol:

Well, I'm biting the bullet and paying $1055 all in for new OEM compressor, orifice tube, and drier. Evap is not needed and I think I had it confused with the orifice tube.

I know where the problem lies but they will check it as well before going through with the work. I'm knocking on wood that this ends my ac problems!

I'll update the thread in the afternoon once the work is finished...

Other places were quoting me up to $1300 for the same kit! I got some quotes close to 1k but this shop in Scottsdale stood out and they even offer a shuttle that just brought me back to work, only a mile away but its very convenient.

Yeah black death is about as bad as it gets. Ends up easier to just trash everything and start over, which is pretty much what they did for you.

I still can't get over the costs of parts and labor these days. It's insanity. I'd better start investing in machine tools and start making my own parts! :lol:

When I started my apprenticeship back in late 70's, mechanics in general were earning about 33 1/3% of the door rate, and jobs were flat rate.(paid by book time, not real time). Apprentices got 50% of full mechanic's rate, that went up every year, and at the 5 year mark the apprentice would write for his license, and be at 100%. Door rate back then was $18/hr. First year apprentice got $3/hr straight time. After my first year I got the raise to 60% of mechanics rate, again straight time, but it moved me up to the next income tax bracket. I went to service manager after a month and asked him to take the raise back, I was taking home $2 week less due to the income tax increase.

Tools were not much cheaper then either. Snap-on dealer would always let you finance at 0% though. Only really bad part was both the Snap-on dealer and the coffee truck driver knew you were being let go well before you knew.

$840??? Good God Almighty ...

Go online and buy a compressor for less than $250, and pay your local garage to install it if you don't want to do it yourself. I'd bet with tax and labor you'd have ice cold air for less than $500. I'd install the parts myself, adding the oil, and if you don't feel comfortable recharging, then pay the $75 or whatever it is in your area to have it done for you.

Pay was damn good in those days. Much easier work for a newbie tech just starting out too. These days school is a must.

Yeah Snap-On is still big $$$. I bought $500 worth of tools from them at their student (MMI, Phoenix) discount of 50%, 15 years ago . Only got me about 6 tools ... :lol:

^^^ +1.

I HIGHLY recommend those guys. They taught me everything I needed to know about A/C as a DIY when I was living out there back in '99 -'01. Prices weren't too bad, & they were VERY helpful - something that was foreign to me, being a lifelong resident of MA ... :lol:

Archived