2015 Silverado 2500HD with vibration problems...

Well, took mine back to the shop i got my toyos from. They got a hold of the GM dealership i bought mine from and after 4 days and numerous phone calls to head office GM and numerous road tests the conclusion everyone has come up with is there is torque management issue with the torque converter. They say that there has been a number of the Allison equiped trucks that have had issues where the torque converter is hunting when it goes into lock up. So at 30-35kms/hr and 80-90kms/hr there is a shudder that is felt in the wheel and legs and lower back, and worse at 80-90kms/hr and goes away at about 105-110kms/hr. They say it may get better or go away with more time and kms on the truck. I was given the option of GM tearing into the tranny and changing the torque converter or driving it for another 5000kms and see if theres if improvement. I chose to drive it for awhile and take a wait and see attitude. My file on this problem is open. Hope this helps someone with there truck. Will keep posting if any changes.

Merry Christmas and good luck to all those having issues with there new GM HD

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought 2 identical '15 Denali duallys. One rides like dream, the other like shit. Was hoping someone here had a fix but doesn't sound good. I had the purchasing dealer roadforce the oem Michelin ltxs. Got audibly worse. Had the vib around 65mph, then I heard it @ 35... So I had them peel identical wheels off another truck on the lot. Same Michelins, which NEVER vibrate, same vib! So I went to another dealer and PAID for them to ballance all 6. No improvement! I heard about this "new" tool that detects the direction and harmony of vibrations to determine the cause. That's set up for next week, but now I hear no one is trained on said tool. I'm willing to get this fixed and I'm not looking to lemon it out, but it's not looking good! I'll end up with another Denali bc I love the truck, but it's pushing my patience.

For the record I also own a brand new dodge dually and there is NO comparison! Interior, ride, sound... got nothing on my gmc! I'll dance with gm until they fix it.

Had mine in a second time to the dealership. This time had the shop foreman and the service manager go for a road test with me. After consultation with the head office. They are telling me that they believe the problem is occuring when the tranny shifts into 2nd or 3rd gear the torque converter locks up and it is hunting in and out of lock up. It does seem to make sense because the shudder or vibration is worse after 30kms/hr and 80kms/hr and goes away completely at about 105kms/hr. The fix for this is to wait for another 5000kms till anything rubber has a chance to soften up and hopefully the vibration being transfered won't be as harsh. Or they said they will put in a new torque converter if i want. Before i have them rip apart a new tranny (6120kms old ) i have chosen to drive it for awhile or until it gets worse. Hope this helps anybody else. Any and all thoughts on this would be appreciated. They also told me that they are aware of this same issue othe new trucks.

I have 8500 miles and I get the vibrations with and without a trailer. In fact there is no difference with or without the trailer... They have this fancy detection tool but no one trained on it yet so I'm on hold for now...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same vibration issues , but this is my second truck with the problem . On my 2014 2500 Denali we rotated and balanced the tires twice , vibration still in the rear (worst between 70-80 mph). Road force balanced , then replaced two Goodyears under warranty , vibration still in the rear .Loaded or empty , same vibration . Have had a tire store and GM dealer offer a possible solution , 2015 going in tomorrow . Will relay any progress if there is any , would appreciate the same if anyone finds a cure .

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same vibration issues , but this is my second truck with the problem . On my 2014 2500 Denali we rotated and balanced the tires twice , vibration still in the rear (worst between 70-80 mph). Road force balanced , then replaced two Goodyears under warranty , vibration still in the rear .Loaded or empty , same vibration . Have had a tire store and GM dealer offer a possible solution , 2015 going in tomorrow . Will relay any progress if there is any , would appreciate the same if anyone finds a cure .

Any update? I had my tires road forced again with no improvement.

2015 Denali 3500 DRW, Michelin ltx, 4x4

Any update? I had my tires road forced again with no improvement.

My truck has been at the dealership for a week now . They are going through the same process that I did on a previous truck(2014) . They have had a service rep on site who is convinced its the tires . After a road force balance showed two tires out of round , two new tires were installed today . The service tech is driving my truck home tonite , he lives 30 miles from the dealership . Will know tomorrow if it did any good , hope it did , bet it didnt .A local tire dealer (national chain) friend of mine claims that every truck they have had in with this issue has been cured with a leveling kit(front raised 2 inches) and a tire size change . Could be something to do with the pinion angle . If the tire swap does no good I will raise the front end next .Will let you know .

2015 2500hd 4x4 , 20" factory wheels , Goodyears( same tires that were on my 2014 but totally different wheels) . I also had a 2011 and a 2012 2500hd , no vibration with them .

I am dropping mine off again this evening. I hope they work it out. I am through the tire theory with them bc we drove an identical truck, which drove right, and they swapped the wheels and tires without "reballancing" them to eliminate their ballancer as a problem. The issue remains so at least they are moving on to mechanical diagnosis.

My truck has been at the dealership for a week now . They are going through the same process that I did on a previous truck(2014) . They have had a service rep on site who is convinced its the tires . After a road force balance showed two tires out of round , two new tires were installed today . The service tech is driving my truck home tonite , he lives 30 miles from the dealership . Will know tomorrow if it did any good , hope it did , bet it didnt .A local tire dealer (national chain) friend of mine claims that every truck they have had in with this issue has been cured with a leveling kit(front raised 2 inches) and a tire size change . Could be something to do with the pinion angle . If the tire swap does no good I will raise the front end next .Will let you know .

2015 2500hd 4x4 , 20" factory wheels , Goodyears( same tires that were on my 2014 but totally different wheels) . I also had a 2011 and a 2012 2500hd , no vibration with them .

What kind if test or theories did they mentioned on your '14?

My 2014 GMC was worked on by Discount Tire , which had the Hunter road force balancer and the dealership did not . The 2015 is being looked at by the Chevy dealer who now has the machine . i personally do not think it is tires , move them any way you want , vibration still in the back . Seats vibrate like crazy , no shake in the steering . Dont get me wrong , this dealer is trying , They are a good customer of mine and I have driven nothing but 2500hd's since 2001 . Still waiting to hear the results of replacing the tires .

What kind if test or theories did they mentioned on your '14?

My 2014 GMC was worked on by Discount Tire , which had the Hunter road force balancer and the dealership did not . The 2015 is being looked at by the Chevy dealer who now has the machine . i personally do not think it is tires , move them any way you want , vibration still in the back . Seats vibrate like crazy , no shake in the steering . Dont get me wrong , this dealer is trying , They are a good customer of mine and I have driven nothing but 2500hd's since 2001 . Still waiting to hear the results of replacing the tires .

I worked for Discount Tire for 5 years and have plenty of experience with low profile and large off road tires on Hunter Road Force machines. I know it's not my tires.... I did take my truck into my local DTC and had them verify the ballance, no more than 13 lbs on RF and no more than 1.25 oz on any wheel face. I'm sitting here waiting for the service manager now. Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2015 gmc 2500 HD 20 inch rims with Goodyear tires. I toed a 3000lb trailer with 4000lbs on it 250 miles one way with no problems. On the way home as soon as I got on high way at 65 to 75 mph the truck was shaking so bad I thought I had a flat . I pulled over and everything was fine .I had to drive home at 55mph does anyone know if the dealer has a fix for this problem? Also having problem with rpms jumping and feels like a fuel surging when going up hills any fix? Next problem when on highway if their is a cross wind the whistling sound coming into the cab is very loud . Think it's the roof lights. Also had water coming in through the leaky sun roof that the dealer fixed once now the water stain is came back on the head liner.Is anyone having all of these problems with this piece of crap 55000 truck?

• 4 weeks later...

This really is an issue. I have the same truck , 2015 Silverado 4X4 LTZ Duramax/Allison and I get a vibration at low speeds as well as a very pronounced. I have taken it back 2 times to the dealer. The first time they did a re-balance and said they out. They said that would fix it. Now This dealer is in a small town and they could not do a road test at Interstate speeds. As soon as I got it on the interstate, It appeared again. At 73 MPH is it very well pronounced. It is so bad, my wife could not even see her I Phone screen.

The second time the dealer blew me off and said it would drive the vibration out. I have been in contact with GM Customer service and am awaiting a call from another GM dealer to help me fix this problem.

Here are some Ideas I have. The Tires are 20 inch Goodyear Wrangler SRA. They most likely cannot be balanced. The other issue could be inside the drive train itself.

Being a Quality Engineer, I know that they yank a certain number of these vehicles off of the line and test drive them. This problem should have been found in house. Goodyear should have been made to sort and swap the tires out. I guess there are only 3 tire options for the 20 inch and 2 are Goodyear. The other one is a Cooper.

If it is a tire issue, Which I will find out, It will not cost GM one red cent to fix. It is a Goodyear problem. They are responsible.

If this vibration is allowed to continue, then it will eventually cause other issues to the vehicle.

I noticed that I posted my issue in the wrong thread I don't own a Duramax but my 2500 HD was experiencing vibrations between 47-52 mph. It felt like driving over a rumble strip they put on highway off ramps or leading up to tolls.

First time I dropped it off to my dealership they just did a tire balance and didn't bother to drive it after to see if the issue was fixed. A day later I got a survey e-mailed to me and let me just say I filled it out while I was angry.

They called first thing Monday morning asking for the truck back I told them I didn't have a convenient time that week to drop it off and make arrangements for other transportation while they looked at my truck a 2nd time. They said they would give me a loaner car free of charge I dropped it off on Tuesday they had it to whole week.

I told them I thought it was in the drive train somewhere because it seemed like a harmonic vibration and the truck only had 4,000 miles on it so it not like my U-joint was rusted and it was just vibrating until it worked itself free. Well that is where they spent all their time looking at the 2nd time through and they found "something" bend in the rear end housing. What? They wouldn't tell me, so they put it back together and told me to come get it while they wait for a whole new rear end housing.

Since the 2015 is a new build they had to wait to get the parts from the factory so I assume it was just taken from another new truck and just sent to them. They fixed it last week I picked it up on Friday 5/1/15 and I've not been able to drive it until this morning and so far so good. I'll let you guys know if it comes back but this seems to have fixed "my" issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived