Why more oil ?

Why do you guys think that these new engines hold/use so much more oil than the old 5.3 liter engines. Not complaining just wondering ?? Something to do with Direct Injection ???

Yotaman

Maybe. If I had to guess it may help reduce oil temps with all the oil-run things like AFM and VVT. Now they have the oil squirters on the pistons too so that may account for some use too.

Maybe. If I had to guess it may help reduce oil temps with all the oil-run things like AFM and VVT. Now they have the oil squirters on the pistons too so that may account for some use too.

Pretty much. Higher demands for the oil system led to an increase of capacity of oil in the system.

I was told it was redesigned due to AFM oil useage complaints on the old 5.3L engines. Now there is more oil so when the AFM burns oil, you don't notice it as easy.

Curious who told you that..?

I was told it was redesigned due to AFM oil useage complaints on the old 5.3L engines. Now there is more oil so when the AFM burns oil, you don't notice it as easy.

So that's what the engineers at GM come up with after zillions of miles of testing those new trucks?

I mean that's impressive.

Can you imagine what a '14 truck would cost like if they had really solved the problem?

lol...that's hilarious

so long

j-ten-ner

I was going to say the same thing, only in jest. It makes sense, though. Put extra oil in, but rather than being deeper, let the surface area of the fill volume be larger. You could pretty easily make it so that 1 qt moves very little on the dipstick, and have plenty extra to not worry about "too little oil to perform". Totally made-up reasoning on my part though. Heat dissipation sounds better, but it's likely multiple reasons.

But if you burn a quart of oil whether you start with 8.5 or 5 you still burn oil and the dipstick will still show a quart low right ?

Assuming the stick is calibrated to 4 marks per quart... yes. It always has been, so I'd assume it still is without info to the contrary. What does the manual say? I was only kidding above re: a new design to mask "apparent consumption".

Engines with larger oil capacity may require less frequent oil changes. Also, as much as 40% of the engine is cooled by the oil and more oil ensures proper cooling of internal engine parts (bearings, pistons and components.

Yes, there are many benefits to a larger oil capacity--it'll run cooler, stay cleaner, last longer, extend required change intervals, etc. Larger capacity pans are one of the first modifications one makes to a car they want to roadrace (which is even harder on the oil than towing). It's a nice improvement.

But if you burn a quart of oil whether you start with 8.5 or 5 you still burn oil and the dipstick will still show a quart low right ?

Assuming the stick is calibrated to 4 marks per quart... yes. It always has been, so I'd assume it still is without info to the contrary. What does the manual say? I was only kidding above re: a new design to mask "apparent consumption".

OM still calls for addition of one qaurt when oil is below the x-hatching on the stick.

Doesn't the VVT use engine oil? Piston cooling does. External oil cooler does. I would assume AFM does as well.

More oil in circulation at any given time means more oil required in the sump.

Doesn't the VVT use engine oil? Piston cooling does. External oil cooler does. I would assume AFM does as well.

More oil in circulation at any given time means more oil required in the sump.

This! And my wrench friends say since the oil is used to control the cam phasing etc....it is important to run the GM recommended 0-20, rather than old school 10-30 or 15-50 such??

• 2 weeks later...

This! And my wrench friends say since the oil is used to control the cam phasing etc....it is important to run the GM recommended 0-20, rather than old school 10-30 or 15-50 such??

It specifically says not to use and other variation of oil. Good thing is that other brands are starting to come out with 0-20 but damn 8.5 quarts gets expensive

Archived