Stock Stereo Issue

I've noticed when I first bought the truck the stock system was not loud but loud enough.. It seems like now with the radio all the way up I can have a normal convo with my passenger... Also, when the radio is turned up almost to full blast it tends to get really raspy and muffled almost like it's wearing itself out. Kind of annoyed I can't listen to my music with my windows down ... I can barely hear it lol... Anyone have similar issues ?? Thinking about doing 2 10's or 12's in my crew cab under the seat any thoughts ?

I assume there are two sounds systems-the "standard" as you call it, and the "Bose", which I assume would be considered an upgrade.

I just looked at my sticker, and it appears I have the standard, it's listed as "HD Radio". IMO, the standard, from strictly a sound and quality of sound standpoint, is superb. Now, I did have to mess around with my sound settings a bit to get it how I like it, but I think it's excellent and have zero complaints.

Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but if you have a i-phone or i-pod (or anything else plugged in) the outgoing volume of that unit will effect how loud the volume comes out over the radio. ie. if it's turned down on your phone, it won't sound as loud on your radio. I mention that only because I found it out in embarrassing fashion, taking it into my dealer to complain "my i-pod wasn't working" lol.....turns out the volume had been turned all the way down. DOH.

Never seen it make a difference on usb because it uses your device as a hard drive

Well, when I plugged it in, and left the volume steady on the radio tuner, and then turned my phone volume up and down, it indeed made the music louder or less loud. Oh well. Would just check it if I was the OP.

You are correct. Stumps me. But I have an 04 with aftermarket system. My phone is iy used with bluetooth for callsm I have a dedicated ipod that doesnt leave my truck. Im goint to have go plug my ipod into my friends 2014

OK i'm gonna sound stupid here-USB is plugged in, bluetooth is not (over air), correct? I was plugged in, phone to the port.

Even if you are plugged into the port, it still could be playing through bluetooth. All the port is doing at that point is charging the phone. If you are truly playing through the port only then turning the volume on the phone up or down will not matter since it overrides the volume controls on the device.

Sent via Samsung Note II

I'm going from memory, but I like mine with the treble all the way up, the mids down to maybe 33%, and the bass slightly more than the mids (like 40%).

It sounds ok to me like this otherwise if I turn the mids back up, distortion starts to take over(at higher volumes) and it drowns out the treble on standard radio channels(no HD channels where I live that I know of if that makes any difference). I do have to turn the volume up with it set like this though.

I listen to hair metal and classic rock mostly.

It's loud enough for me, but it may not be for you. YMMV

An update, I was listening to a Guns n' Roses song yesterday on XM radio and it really didn't sound too good(too muffled). By the time I got it sounding good to my liking by adjusting the mids and bass even lower, I had the volume all the way up as high as it would go and it wasn't loud enough.

Yes I know it's the stock stereo and not the Bose, but I might be starting to lean towards upgrading mine too. :thumbs:

I've also started using Pandora through my Droid and I've also noticed that it's not quite as loud as XM or the regular radio for the most part.

Mine has the "fleet" stereo, and the only way to get decent sound is to cut back on the bass, rachet up the mid range and treble,plus balance the speakers more towards the right side and rear of the cab.

As far as volume, seems there's plenty there for my taste.

Had stock speakers replaced with Kenwoods, installer at audio shop said stock speakers are of poor quality, truck sounds much better and there is no distortion as the volume is increased.

Had stock speakers replaced with Kenwoods, installer at audio shop said stock speakers are of poor quality, truck sounds much better and there is no distortion as the volume is increased.

Which Kenwoods did you upgrade to? I was thinking of upgraded speakers and a powered amp in the back... just a small woofer 8" for just a bit of a bump.

Archived