Cold air intakes

Looking into tossing in a cai a relatively easy upgrade. Now im looking at brands they can range from 40 - hundreds of dollars. They all look the same aside from brand names and cone filter size.. does it really matter what brand you get? How can one be better than another aside from the filter?

sent from my truck in a field

I bought a cheap one for my 03 2500 it was like 60 bucks on Ebay... Seemed like it made the same difference as the K&N on my 11 Sierra now.. The filter on the cheap one was huge but would almost slide off the tube mount to where I would be paranoid of it coming completely off. It never did but the fit of it reflected in the pricing.. The K&N fits like a glove (at 200 more). Performance wise, they seemed pretty much the same. Not sure you really gain any thing but a little bit on the butt dyno for taking off from a dead stop. MPG, eh....

Looking into tossing in a cai a relatively easy upgrade. Now im looking at brands they can range from 40 - hundreds of dollars. They all look the same aside from brand names and cone filter size.. does it really matter what brand you get? How can one be better than another aside from the filter?

sent from my truck in a field

None of them will make a performance difference, until you open up the restrictive stock exhaust system.

None of them will make a performance difference, until you open up the restrictive stock exhaust system.

I would have to agree as well, though I did have the tube upgrade in already, once I threw the headers on with the custom true duals dumped, there really was an noticeable difference in response and power in general. I would assume it freed up maybe 20 hp/tq??? Could have been more, could have been less, never did an before and after dyno like I did when I had the BBP tune. Get a good set of LT's and work from there!

I was lucky enough to win a Volant CAI when I had my '99 Silverado. They give away one per month, go to their website and try your luck! But after installing and living with it for a few years I realized they aren't really worth the money unless you have your engine above 4000rpm a lot. They sound nice, but the positive effects aren't there at normal driving RPMs.

You obviously haven't read the Blackbear article they did testing various types. No matter which brand they do provide a benefit

Ryan

Which one strikes your fancy is up to you. I like the look of the Volant and I stand by the quality of Donaldson filters. When I was a truck mechanic that is all we used. I run them on my tractor as well

I have the K&N which I'm partial to always had good performance but they are right you need good exhaust too when you take a lot of air in you need to move a lot of air out to get best performance.

Archived