HID Head lights ???

Got a question for you folks....... When I purchased my pickup truck, it had HID headlight kits installed (and still does). I currently have one (the drivers side) that is giving me fits / issues, and will cut out after 10-15 minutes of use now that the warmer spring weather has arrived. It's done it a couple times over the winter months, but would usually come back on if I flicked the head light dash switch off and back on.... it seems to have gotten progressively worse, as it won't turn back on with a flick of the switch, so I'm guessing it's the ballast on its way out.

So the question is....

1) Do I purchase new HID kits, both high (9005) and low (H11) beam and the relay wiring kit for the low beams (Online) from DDM Tuning (which has many good reviews from what I've read). I've read the relay kit is a good idea for the low beam / daytime running lamp. Note: I can buy both high & low HID kits, relay kit and shipping for about $95.

-or-

2) Do I just purchase both high and low beam Sylvania SilverStars and put them in (which I can readily purchase locally)??? Both for about $85.

I really like the light the HID's provided, but like the local availability of the SilverStars.

Any thoughts..... dunno.gif

Thanks

I run the Silverstar Ultras in mine and the wife's vehicles. I like the light they give and the fact I can easily replace them if they burnout. All the stories about HID problems and the fact that they tend to scatter light as our stock housings aren't designed for them has kept me from doing a conversion on my truck.

Yes, still debating which route to go with this..... as I really lilke the HID's, but also want local off the shelf availability!! Over lunch I checked pricing of the Silverstars @ Fleet Farm. The H11 (low beam) is ~$32/set, 9005 (high beam) is $20 each and they didn't have the 5202 (fogs). So if I have to order them either way.... for the same price.... I may as well go all out and get the HID's!!??

We also run the standard SilverStars in the wife's Denali. It is a far better light then the stock halogen..... but a real pisser to change if the bulb goes bad!!

I'm thinking I'll stick with the HID's, as they put far more light to the ground..... I'll replace both the high and low beams and do the relay power adder. Then I'll have spare ballasts for everything!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had both silver stars and my current hid. Silver star didn't last long - about a year, I also like the light output of the hid better. They REALLY light up the road and even with my level kit I never get people flashing me thinking my highs are on or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The silverstars burn very hot to get the type of light quality that they provide so thus why they do not last as long. The light quality from them is good and in my opinion worth the money every 1 or 2 years if you don't want to go the HID route.

Archived