garage broken into while i was at work!

today my garage was broken into. they stole my safe that had a lot of important items in it. one of which was the spare fob and keys for my 2014 silverado. my question is this:

what has to be done to make my truck safe again. my last truck was an 07 classic so the fobs and keys are new. do i contact the dealership and what will they do? new keys and fobs, what about the ignition switch? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I hate thieves, absolutely despise them. I am fortunate to be able to afford to live in a nice neighborhood and not be in the same environment I grew up in, and even with that I know of neighbors that have been victims. I invested in cameras with DVR that I can monitor on my phone or internet. My wife would get the "Paranormal Activity" vibe initially but she is used to it now, they are only on the outside of the house and one in the garage. We keep a sign on the outside stating there is video surveillance.

Nothing is 100% burglar proof, but deterrents help. I would imagine the dealer has the ability to provide a new key and insurance should cover an ignition switch if needed.

That really sucks man and the exact reason i invested in a surveillance system at my house. I don’t call the cops now! I hope they catch them and you resolve your key issue as easily as possible.

Are you having any persistent problems with your truck? If so, let them steal it and get a new one. Just make sure your insurance is up to date.

But seriously, I'd contact your insurance company first and see what they'll do for you. Tell them a new set of keys is cheaper than a new truck claim.

to do it right, new ignition cylinder , new drivers side door cylinder, new tailgate cylinder, 1 new fob (hopefully, some fobs can only be programmed once) and 2 new keys.

Are you having any persistent problems with your truck? If so, let them steal it and get a new one. Just make sure your insurance is up to date.

But seriously, I'd contact your insurance company first and see what they'll do for you. Tell them a new set of keys is cheaper than a new truck claim.

From my experience with insurance companies, they don't pay for you taking proactive steps to avoid a theft or damage -- otherwise they'd be paying for our home and vehicle alarm systems, paying to remove dangerous trees before they fall on your house, etc.

Homeowner's insurance should cover the damage to the garage, including items stolen, which would include the key fob.

From my experience with insurance companies, they don't pay for you taking proactive steps to avoid a theft or damage -- otherwise they'd be paying for our home and vehicle alarm systems, paying to remove dangerous trees before they fall on your house, etc.

Homeowner's insurance should cover the damage to the garage, including items stolen, which would include the key fob.

It likely won't add up to his deductible, especially since auto and home policies don't mix with claims. My insurance gives me discounts for alarm, safety features, etc. My parents had tree removal covered by insurance after it was struck by lightning and died. I think it'll depend on your insurance. This is one of those gray areas where it pays to have good coverage and a good relationship with your agent.

Archived