What is pretty good gun care oil? Rem Oil or Hoppe's 9? I used Rem Oil for my Glock 23. I just clean the barrel for the most part and wipe thin layer of Rem Oil on the slide's internals and other steel parts of my Glock.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has their opinions/preferences. Just like assholes....... :) everyone's got 'em

Either one is fine. I've used Hoppes just because that what I've grown up with and it's never failed

I have used Remoil a long time. I like to give a gun a light coat on the outside with each use if it has a blued barrel. I rarely spray it into the action, but it do use it for cleaning the action so everything gets a light coat. I don't like too much oil in the gun.

Both are a little antiquated IMO but, not poor choices by any stretch. I prefer Mpro 7 cleaner and oil, best stuff out there IMO. I shoot lots of lead bullets in my guns which makes em dirty as sin, since I started using the Mpro 7 combo my barrel comes clean like I had shot FMJ and the best part is there is no foul odor and it doesn't sting the hands if you have dry cracked skin or a cut on your hands.

Both are O.K., slightly different uses though. The Hoppes 9 is a solvent & the Rem oil a lube. Yes, they can overlap, but I use Hoppes 9 for cleaning, mostly inside the barrel, then a 'gun oil' for a wipe with an oiled cloth.

I have other oils & solvents for tougher situations. The main thing is to give a firearm routine care, the exact type of oil isn't that important. I have guns from way back that never saw anything more exotic than Hoppes 9, they look just great.

I tend to clean my Glock 23 each time I shot over a 100 rounds through it. And i also do a detailed strip down, cleaning each metallic part with Rem Oil. I have a question: would I need gun grease for my trigger connector to lessen the friction?

• 1 month later...

I grew up using all Hoppe's products and sometimes Gunslick. I used to buy No. 9 solvent in gallon cans. I was using mostly Hoppes oil, but in the late seventies moved over to TriFlon, and later Breakfree.

I moved away from Breakfree, because I couldn't stand the odor in the house. I went to RemOil, because it was relatively cheap, available and in a aerosol can, which was convenient for cleaning and lubing a shotgun at the range parking lot. I know a lot of you are shooting semiauto rifles and handguns that have different needs than the break-open side by sides and o/u shotguns. But my needs are a light oil than can double as a bore cleaner and not etch at the soft lead/tin solder the barrels are held together with. For the hinge, I use automotive synthetic chassis lube (grease). I've heard of guys using jet engine synthetic oil, and various synthetic motor oils, and I've used Singer sewing machine oil for a period. I always thought it was the same thing as Hoppes oil back in the 60s.

I think whatever you choose, you should consider the temperatures at which you'll be using your gun. I can tell you some stories of my own where the lube froze and disabled my gun or the grease ran out in the 120F weather.

The good part is that there's a lot of good gun lubes out there these days.

I always cleaned with Hoppe's and then oiled with Rem Oil. Now I use two Hoppe's products- the solvent in the bottle and then oil wipes to leave a light bit of oil on surfaces after. I still have liquid oil for lubricating rails and such.

I use #9 I also like thr rem oil in the can for my shotguns as it gets under thr ribs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archived