Is this a decent air bag (towing) setup?

Looking for an air bag system for towing a travel trailer and boat to prevent a lot of sag in the rear. Did a quick search, found this setup online. Is there a better quality setup out there or would this suffice?

2r7ysk8.jpg2r7ysk8.jpg

They had a good bit of information on air bags here "http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/159224-air-bags-firestone-2430-hellwig-6018/" I am in the market myself for something but am not 100% which way I want to go. There was a topic the other day about a Super Spring helper setup that looked pretty good too. My dilemma is that I already have a add-a-leaf in the rear and really don't want to make the ride any stiffer while unloaded. I have heard the bags can alter the ride a little and I am sure the spring will as well because they guy said they gave him over 1" of lift in the rear.

The 2430 Firestone system is the one I just installed and it seems to work like a charm. I'm only towing 4K but with a bed full of gear and a canopy I was needing another inch or so of lift to level the truck and the trailer. This system does just that and feels great going down the hiway. When I'm running empty and no trailer I back the bags off to just 10 lbs of pressure and the ride is the same as stock. Easy install and seems to be a quality product.

Great info thanks. Which air compressor did you go with?

Sorry, I'm too cheap to go the compressor route. :D I've usually got an air tank for the car with me anyway so I spent the money on GMC window trim like yours. :thumbs:

I went with the 2430 Firestone as well.Pretty easy install..I can raise the ride height a full 3". I had the same bags in my 08 silvy, when you put an ATV in back then hook up a TT and add about 75 psi everything is level and stable. I don't bother with onboard compressor as its too expensive. I just add air at home with my compressor. When I use my truck in the fall for wood cutting,the air bags keep the truck level.

no need for an on board air compressor. just keep a bike tire pump (hand air pump) in your trucks tool box and when you need to had air you can do it that way. the bags are so small it takes no time and all to max out the bags with a hand air pump if you need to.

I'm sure those bags will get the job done nicely, lots of people use those with good results. I just installed the Airlift 5000 Ultimate bags--they have an internal bumpstop so I can safely run 5 PSI while banging the truck over stuff offroad without fear of damage and having a soft ride. That may or may not interest you.

I've had airbags in lots of vehicles before and always filled them manually. It only seemed like a hassle every now and then (cruising down the freeway you don't like the handling so you need to stop at a gas station or whip out a portable pump, etc) but normally wasn't an issue. This time I opted for a wireless pump. Man is it nice! Being able to inflate/deflate while on the road, after hooking up to a trailer you can stand off to the side and just increase the pressure until it's sitting the way you want, etc.... Not necessary, but worth the time/effort/money if those things sound like things you'd enjoy being able to do.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure those bags will get the job done nicely, lots of people use those with good results. I just installed the Airlift 5000 Ultimate bags--they have an internal bumpstop so I can safely run 5 PSI while banging the truck over stuff offroad without fear of damage and having a soft ride. That may or may not interest you.

I've had airbags in lots of vehicles before and always filled them manually. It only seemed like a hassle every now and then (cruising down the freeway you don't like the handling so you need to stop at a gas station or whip out a portable pump, etc) but normally wasn't an issue. This time I opted for a wireless pump. Man is it nice! Being able to inflate/deflate while on the road, after hooking up to a trailer you can stand off to the side and just increase the pressure until it's sitting the way you want, etc.... Not necessary, but worth the time/effort/money if those things sound like things you'd enjoy being able to do.

This is exactly what I want. I believe its the airlift wireless one....Do you have part numbers for your setup?

Did you ever get these bags? I just ordered the same RC kit and want to do bags as well, just curious if these worked with the 3/4" taller block.

Thanks Aaron

Here ya go and I like them.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/157013-what-have-you-done-to-your-14-today/page-97

Archived