Post your 2014+ wheel/tire set-up

Need some help to finalize this weekend. I have narrowed it down to the Toyo AT2's for my new Denali coming in and it will have the RC 2 1/2 level kit for just the front added at dealership. I thought I was going with the 275/65/20 but wanted the Xtreme so leaned to the 295/55/20 version. They are charging me another $350 from the terra grapplers I was quoted for those 295's than the 275's which was a little higher than expected, my worry is the gas mileage drop figures with a 6.2L.

Is there going to be a difference of which will be worse over the other just on size? Which would you go with, ive been trying to find pictures that really show the difference in the LT and the Xtreme but both look almost too similar for me to justify the difference in price. Thanks guys!

I have the rough country 2.5 level lift kit on stock tires for now. I will be getting bigger tires on the 18 inch oem rims. I like bigger tires smaller rims. Rides better handles better for actual off road use and has that classic 4x4 look. I had 305s on my 2004 with 17 inch rims and it was smooth riding and I loved off roading it when I could. My question really for those who have the 18 inch rims with biger tires. I saw a couple on here, and was wondering if the 305 60(65) R18 rub at all? I dont mind a little rub but better if it doesnt. I will be pricing tires for a while until I cant pass up new tires. I will post a pic up of my setup now with the leveling kit on stock tires. Then as soon as I get the new setup a new pic.

305/65 on stock rims may give enough clearance. With my -12 offset it rubbed and needed to be trimmed.

305/60 shouldn't need a trim.

• Like 1

305/65 on stock rims may give enough clearance. With my -12 offset it rubbed and needed to be trimmed.

305/60 shouldn't need a trim.

Makes sense. I'm going stock rims so honestly without spacers and things of that nature it is what I want on my truck. No rub or little to no rub. You don't have a lift kit on yours do you?

Need some help to finalize this weekend. I have narrowed it down to the Toyo AT2's for my new Denali coming in and it will have the RC 2 1/2 level kit for just the front added at dealership. I thought I was going with the 275/65/20 but wanted the Xtreme so leaned to the 295/55/20 version. They are charging me another $350 from the terra grapplers I was quoted for those 295's than the 275's which was a little higher than expected, my worry is the gas mileage drop figures with a 6.2L.

Is there going to be a difference of which will be worse over the other just on size? Which would you go with, ive been trying to find pictures that really show the difference in the LT and the Xtreme but both look almost too similar for me to justify the difference in price. Thanks guys!

Get what you want if it's rolled into your payment anyways. Tires are expensive, and for the looks and off road capabilities it might be worth it to have the dealer cover your tires if they have problems after a couple thousand miles. I wish I would have just had the dealer put way better tires on but I opted for other extras instead. I had an older silverado and with any vehicle gas milage will be affected, ride quality maybe, and how long those grippy tires last if you just driving back and forth to work. I use the all terrains mostly for both off road and on. They last longer and still gave me great grip overall. I also go mudding and never had to get pulled out. Now if the danali is for rock climbing maybe the extra money is worth the better tires. Good luck anyways I'm sure when you're done you will post some sick pics ASAP! Good luck

I hate to say it, but these posts about what kind of mpg drop will I see are getting real old when talking about putting bigger tires and lifting a truck. I mean you bought a $55,000 truck with the largest engine possible and you're worried about the .2 mpg drop you're going to see between a 275 and 295? Pretty much tells me you can't afford the Denali if you're already worried about what it will cost at the pump.

/soapbox

But to answer your question which is confusing because you talked about narrowing it down to Toyo AT2s but then said it was a different charge from the Nitto Terra Grapplers (???). Then you talk about the difference between the LT and XT, which in Toyo AT2s, is the same tire. There is no difference. Where the difference is is from the regular Toyo AT2 and the AT2 XT. The AT2 is a 8 ply, passenger rated tire, whereas the AT2 XT is a 10 ply, LT rated tire. The XT is heavier and stronger built than the regular AT2. The AT2 XT also has deeper tread and larger sidewall lugs than the regular AT2. The XT will hurt your gas mileage since it is heavier, but like I said before probably only by .2 mpgs. If that's a concern for you, then by all means get the AT2 regular instead because we'd hate for you to have to spend an extra $5 at the pump to fill up your full size, 4 wheel drive, large displacement truck.

I hate to say it, but these posts about what kind of mpg drop will I see are getting real old when talking about putting bigger tires and lifting a truck. I mean you bought a $55,000 truck with the largest engine possible and you're worried about the .2 mpg drop you're going to see between a 275 and 295? Pretty much tells me you can't afford the Denali if you're already worried about what it will cost at the pump.

/soapbox

But to answer your question which is confusing because you talked about narrowing it down to Toyo AT2s but then said it was a different charge from the Nitto Terra Grapplers (???). Then you talk about the difference between the LT and XT, which in Toyo AT2s, is the same tire. There is no difference. Where the difference is is from the regular Toyo AT2 and the AT2 XT. The AT2 is a 8 ply, passenger rated tire, whereas the AT2 XT is a 10 ply, LT rated tire. The XT is heavier and stronger built than the regular AT2. The AT2 XT also has deeper tread and larger sidewall lugs than the regular AT2. The XT will hurt your gas mileage since it is heavier, but like I said before probably only by .2 mpgs. If that's a concern for you, then by all means get the AT2 regular instead because we'd hate for you to have to spend an extra $5 at the pump to fill up your full size, 4 wheel drive, large displacement truck.

First off, I appreciate your response. However I don't understand why anyone wants to post that type of comment when all I am doing is trying to get some help without having to hear a WTH part. People obviously have a concern and while you may think because people post this can't afford x amount doesn't make it true. I have no problem getting one for myself or my wife but we all like to save and I was brought up to not waste money if you can help it. Therefore that is my reasoning and ultimately I was asking what the difference was on adding from stock to either of these.

The dealership in my original deal I got 275/65/20 TG thrown in with the RC level kit but if I go to the 295/55/20 they want to charge me an added $350 to the price going from the TG's to the Toyo's. Didn't think it would be that much, so I was hesitant. In the 275/65 in the toyo it's an LT, in the 295 in the toyo it's an LT XT. There is a difference in the two and I understand the 10 ply and the differences in the two. I honestly did not know if it was going to be a 1 or 2 mpg difference or .2 if that is true. That's why people ask because some may not be as knowledgeable as you and maybe take that into consider next time you think you are being "helpful" with that attitude. If you want to throw those added comments by all means but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would just rather have no response. Thank you for your time and some valuable information for my decision. Have a nice night.

Edited by dobdabomb

Not sure if you've looked at the weights.

LT275/65r20 Terra Grappler weighs approx 59lbs

LT285/55r20 Toyo AT2 Xtreme weighs approx 59lbs

LT295/55r20 Toyo AT2 Xtreme weighs approx 60lbs

SBC is right, your MPG difference will be negligible between any of those choices. Food for thought though the 295/55r20 is almost a 34" tire so there is a chance you will rub. If you're totally against rubbing and possibly having to trim a little the 285/55r20 may be a safer bet. If it were me I'd definitley spend the extra money for the Toyo XT. They just look way more agressive than the trail grappler IMO. You're already taking the MPG hit either way by moving up from stock P rated tire to an LT tire. Might as well get the agressive look to boot.

Good luck.

Edit: I was looking at the 295/60r20 when I said 34", the 295/55 is only 32.8 so you should be good to go.

Edited by BlueWrapper
  • Like 1

Not sure if you've looked at the weights.

LT275/65r20 Terra Grappler weighs approx 59lbs

LT285/55r20 Toyo AT2 Xtreme weighs approx 59lbs

LT295/55r20 Toyo AT2 Xtreme weighs approx 62lbs

SBC is right, your MPG difference will be negligible between any of those choices. Food for thought though the 295/55r20 is almost a 34" tire so there is a chance you will rub. If you're totally against rubbing and possibly having to trim a little the 285/55r20 may be a safer bet. If it were me I'd definitley spend the extra money for the Toyo XT. They just look way more agressive than the trail grappler IMO. You're already taking the MPG hit either way by moving up from stock P rated tire to an LT tire. Might as well get the agressive look to boot.

Good luck.

Ok so it's the lbs not the height or width that actually makes the mpg go down? Is that correct? I saw other post talk about 25lbs more and never saw those differences, the stock tires are about 45lbs right? The 295/55/20 is almost a 33 not a 34 from my calculations, thought that was the min without rubbing from majority...I've seen a decent amount do 305's with a little rub. It doesn't seem like it's pretty consistent across the board from members which is the confusing part. The dealership says there should be no rubbing issues and they mentioned they do levels/lifts/tires all the time so who knows. I thought about the 285's, but since I was hoping to fill wheel well as much as I could I thought these might have been to close to stock size from the sides, guess it's a half inch upgrade. Ok on the Xtreme, guess I'll go that way it's what I want it's just making sure which 2xx/55 I gotta go with now ;-) I really appreciate that comment and any more feedback to those questions for pure knowledge.

Ok so it's the lbs not the height or width that actually makes the mpg go down? Is that correct? I saw other post talk about 25lbs more and never saw those differences, the stock tires are about 45lbs right? The 295/55/20 is almost a 33 not a 34 from my calculations, thought that was the min without rubbing from majority...I've seen a decent amount do 305's with a little rub. It doesn't seem like it's pretty consistent across the board from members which is the confusing part. The dealership says there should be no rubbing issues and they mentioned they do levels/lifts/tires all the time so who knows. I thought about the 285's, but since I was hoping to fill wheel well as much as I could I thought these might have been to close to stock size from the sides, guess it's a half inch upgrade. Ok on the Xtreme, guess I'll go that way it's what I want it's just making sure which 2xx/55 I gotta go with now ;-) I really appreciate that comment and any more feedback to those questions for pure knowledge.

Ha, you quoted me before my post edit, I realized I was looking at the wrong tire. You're right the 295 should be fine with a level kit.

I'm not an expert but I've asked a lot of similar questions in my research. For the most part your MPG loss will be determined by how heavy your tire is. The heavier your wheel tire combo the more gas it takes to turn those bad boys. You may see some negligible differences by going a little taller vs a little wider but I doubt you'd notice any difference at the pump.

Definitley go with Toyo XT though if you have the money. No real gas difference between them and the terra grappler based on weight. I'm kind of cheap myself but I'd hate to not spend that small amount and be disappointed with the look. You're spending a lot of money either way might as well get the look you like. Just my two or ten cents.

Ha, you quoted me before my post edit, I realized I was looking at the wrong tire. You're right the 295 should be fine with a level kit.

I'm not an expert but I've asked a lot of similar questions in my research. For the most part your MPG loss will be determined by how heavy your tire is. The heavier your wheel tire combo the more gas it takes to turn those bad boys. You may see some negligible differences by going a little taller vs a little wider but I doubt you'd notice any difference at the pump.

Definitley go with Toyo XT though if you have the money. No real gas difference between them and the terra grappler based on weight. I'm kind of cheap myself but I'd hate to not spend that small amount and be disappointed with the look. You're spending a lot of money either way might as well get the look you like. Just my two or ten cents.

Gotcha, agreed. It's not a huge deal but I am an over thinker so just bare with me as I want to make sure I do it right as I don't want to change tires in a 1k miles...haha. I love em so I think that's just what I have to do.

Ok looking to get rid of the stock tires and go with the one of the following tires on the stock black AT rim. I don't go off roading enough to justify an aggressive tires. The only time I'm off road is to launch the boat (there are no boat ramps in the water) and once or twice when I go hunting but stick to the ranch roads. The other question is will these rub at all without the leveling kit ( it's on the list). I can get both tires out the door for 690.00 with 55K limited lifetime, but come tomorrow Cooper is giving a 70 dollar rebate.

Both tires are 275/60/20, Firestone Destination AT ( I have on my 05 and works for what I need, UTOG 460 AB) or the Cooper ATP (which is a more aggressive pattern, UTOG 560 AB).

• Like 1

This thread WAS a post your tire wheel setup. But now its just another what should I buy and what fits thread thread. :nonod:

We should clean this up so we only see the setups not the fitment questions. Fitment questions and size issues go elsewhere. Just sayin!

Edited by scoobyd3w
  • Like 6