2005 Silverado Alternator Issue

Carl Caliente

Question

I've been having a problem with my 05 4.8l v8 Silverado that I'm hoping someone here can shed a little light on.

So, friday morning, started my truck to go to work and it kind of lagged a little bit, but started.

By lunch time, I went to start it and all it would do is click (battery). So I jumped it and it started right up.

Driving home (about an hour or so) I noticed the battery gauge would fluctuate, 12-15v. So I chalked that up to it being an alternator. Auto parts store confirmed it and $180 later I was on my way home to fix what I perceived to be the problem.

I replaced it the following morning, kind of lagged a little bit when I first started it but it ran just fine. Drove around for about an hour or so to give it a chance to charge the battery and noticed that the gauge still fluctuates. Took it back to the store and they said the alternator is fine.

The truck runs fine but when I start it, it bogs a little. Not sure yet if it is still draining the battery.

What could be the problem? Do I need to reset the computer? What would be the best way of doing so?

Is it a grounding issue?

Thanks,

Edwin Secrist

2 answers to this question

Archived