Def low gauge on 2015

I had a similar experience just before 2000 mi on my 2015... sure looks like they are delivering these with barely enough DEF to get going....

Since I filled it the warning has not come back and I am nearing 5k miles.

Mine was the same. Apparently since before the 15s gm dealerships didnt even carry def so they are forgetting to top off during pdi. You get free top off on def for first 2 years on the 15s. I just went back and had them do it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Mine was the same. Apparently since before the 15s gm dealerships didnt even carry def so they are forgetting to top off during pdi. You get free top off on def for first 2 years on the 15s. I just went back and had them do it.

Funny...we've had DEF since it came out for the 2011 model year...

No way. GM diesels have used DEF for several years now. You mean to say that with all the thousands and thousands of Duramax trucks sold the dealer couldn't fill the DEF? Unlikely.

Mike, I don't know of very many people who own DMaxes that got more than 1000 miles before they got the message to add. I think that when they do the PDI not knowing how long it will sit on the lot they don't fill it up and then when they sell it they have forgotten that they need to fill it up. A friend of mine bought one two weeks ago and I told him he better fill the DEF up when he got fuel the first time and when he pulled in to get fuel he got his first message for 1000 miles left. :jester:

Can DEF not sit in an idle truck?

I'm not saying some dealer shithead wouldn't overlook filling but I seriously doubt that dealers are just getting DEF in stock.

I had a dealer who didnt check/fill my trans fluid it was 2 quarts low, once warm shifted hard and slow like it was hung up, check fluid and it was bubbly and low. 1 day old. So when I bought my '14 I had dealer check all levels before I left. Fluid good- lug nuts lose tho.. Wtf?

Mike, I don't know of very many people who own DMaxes that got more than 1000 miles before they got the message to add. I think that when they do the PDI not knowing how long it will sit on the lot they don't fill it up and then when they sell it they have forgotten that they need to fill it up. A friend of mine bought one two weeks ago and I told him he better fill the DEF up when he got fuel the first time and when he pulled in to get fuel he got his first message for 1000 miles left. :jester:

Can DEF not sit in an idle truck?

I'm not saying some dealer shithead wouldn't overlook filling but I seriously doubt that dealers are just getting DEF in stock.

Dealers are not to fill the tank during new vehicle prep. The fluid is supposed to be filled upon delivery. DEF has a longer shelf life if kept at a constant and cool temperature (i.e. parts department, etc. in the dealer). In the truck, it would get hot and shorten the life of the fluid during the summer (causing DEF quality issues) and freeze during the winter due to the fact that its 67% water. Trucks can sit for months on end on the lot.

Archived