My truck doesn't have an autodimming rearview mirror

I just realized that today after 4 months of ownership. It's my fault though. I should have checked closer instead of assuming a $44,000 truck would come with that like my $32,000 2007 truck did. Sometimes GM you really know how to stick it to your customers, especially the loyal ones. Anyway I'm done ranting. Now it's time to look for an aftermarket mirror.

My 2011 LT didn't have autodimming (electrochromatic) mirror or a backup camera. After almost backing over a cliff one night (long story), I put the backup camera kit in where the video is in the mirror and it included autodimming. The same company sold just autodimming mirrors as well. The company is Gentex.

http://www.gentex.com/automotive/products/driver-safety#36

And yes, my 2014 LTZ does have both interior and driver exterior dimming mirrors!

Edited by chuckl1218

I just realized that today after 4 months of ownership. It's my fault though. I should have checked closer instead of assuming a $44,000 truck would come with that like my $32,000 2007 truck did. Sometimes GM you really know how to stick it to your customers, especially the loyal ones. Anyway I'm done ranting. Now it's time to look for an aftermarket mirror.hats

Thats crazy. I just looked it up on chevys website. They require you to buy the heated power adjustable tow mirros on LT and WT models to get the rearview dimming mirror. Just dumb.. It should be an option regardless of side mirror option on all trucks except LTZ where it should be standard.

Thats crazy. I just looked it up on chevys website. They require you to buy the heated power adjustable tow mirros on LT and WT models to get the rearview dimming mirror. Just dumb.. It should be an option regardless of side mirror option on all trucks except LTZ where it should be standard.

Yeah it should be standard on pretty much every vehicle except the WT maybe. Even my wife's Hyundai Accent has an auto dimming mirror. My truck even has heated side mirrors I definitely made sure they were there. I dunno blows my mind where they decide to cut corners and save money and skimping on something like an auto dimming mirror is just stupid in my opinion given the price of these trucks.

Yeah...that little lever at the bottom of the mirror is so hard to move and you have to do it so often! It's almost too much trouble to drive!

Perhaps you'd like the following:

Crank start

Manual choke

Manual timing advance

No heat

We've become so spoiled!

Nothing wrong with wanting an auto-dim mirror over the manual style. It's a nice feature to have, and it's not over done like some of the more needless options they have today.

• Like 2

Yeah...that little lever at the bottom of the mirror is so hard to move and you have to do it so often! It's almost too much trouble to drive!

Perhaps you'd like the following:

Crank start

Manual choke

Manual timing advance

No heat

We've become so spoiled!

You're missing the point. I'm not that inconvenienced by operating a lever. It's the principle of it though this is a nicer and more expensive truck than my last one and it sucks taking a step backwards with some features when my payments are higher. And I want to wine about it.

• Like 1

Yeah I read about this a while back and it seems stupid to essentially limit the auto-dim to LTZs or lower trim trucks under extremely limited circumstances. I have a friend at Gentex so I'll be reaching out to him to get one if GM doesn't fix the 2015s by the time I'm ready to buy.

Nothing wrong with wanting an auto-dim mirror over the manual style. It's a nice feature to have, and it's not over done like some of the more needless options they have today.

Exactly I'd actually rather have an auto dimming mirror over the mylink touchscreen display. I've never been a fan of touchscreens. I'd prefer a nice after market audio system actually for better sound quality but I don't want to rip this system out. Plus the integrated XM equipment is much nicer than the aftermarket XM radio I had in my last truck. I used to always get signal drops from that stupid micro antenna the factory equipment on this truck though never loses an XM signal. Anyway there's pluses and minuses I guess that come with a change in vehicles. At the end of the day the engine runs great and the transmission is a dream....can't ask for too much more than that.

I realized the same as the op; LT trucks come with ghetto WT mirrors. My $35k F150 came with auto dim, and this $48k Chev doesn't? Dealer is trying to get the order changed, but it might be too late.

manual dim that us lazy people dislike has two options for night driving: blind me with headlights, or don't see anything. Auto dim mirrors dim to block out headlights, but not so dark that you cant see behind you. That is how my F150 works anyway. The 150 also has a dimming driver's side mirror. I don't think any GM/Chev has that. Its not about wanting ridiculous bells and whistles, its about getting what has become the norm on comparable vehicles.

• Like 2

What's hysterical is they include OnStar even with the crappy manual mirror. I replaced mine with a Gentex that was auto-dimming and had Homelink buttons. No OnStart tho. ;)

I was just thinking that yesterday when I was driving. I have those stupid worthless OnStar buttons all along the bottom of the mirror, a useless service I will never pay a dime for, but I don't have autodimming.

There is some good info in this thread:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153829-auto-dim-mirror-on-sle-sierra/?hl=mirror

I found the mirror on ebay, but the wiring isn't in the harness. A couple of the guys in that thread successfully wired it in, and in theory it shouldnt be that difficult.

I went through this with my 2010 Silverado LT, but the mirror I got off ebay was plug/play. This one isn't.

My SLE has auto dimming mirror. I'm not sure if it was part of the 'preferred package' that got me heated mirrors and a few other goodies. Truth be told, I don't really think the mirror works very well in my truck because of the tinted rear window.