Where is my 2015 Suburban?

I am looking forward to once again owning a Suburban. This will be my third one since 1998. I ordered a 2015 Suburban back in March and it is yet to be delivered. The dealer or GM delayed the order for a month for some unexplained reason--gotten various stories from all parties. I am disappointed that there is no order tracking system available to buyers anymore. It was apparently built two weeks ago (it has a VIN number) and is still sitting in a lot at the Arlington Assembley plant along with about eight thousand other vehicles. As a retired GM engineer (thirty-seven years with GM) I am not happy at all!!! If it is not delivered soon, I will have to go beyond the Chevy truck marketing manager and put this on Mary Barra's already full plate. Anyone else in this boat?

There is a shortage of rail cars hindering transportation of motor vehicles.

Each spring the railroad industry experiences a rail car shortage. This shortage impacts many manufacturing industries including motor companies and this year's is greater due to the harsh winter. The weather created fewer railcars being moved, so the normal shortage has started earlier in the year than normal. Currently there is a rail car shortage of 2,500 cars compared to 1,000 at this time last year.

How has this impacted GM?

•GM Logistics Team monitors rail car supply on a daily basis.

•Our team has put alternative solutions in place to keep product moving – such as shuttling units to consolidation centers or other sites for furtherance to final.

That (rail cars) may be part of the problem. Haulaway trucks are alternative solution. Of couse, they could give me a one-way airplane or train ticket to Arlinfton, Texas and I'll pick it up myself at the plant. Customers used to do that at the original Cadillac plant in Detroit where I worked. I also believe that the recall (there have been two already on 2015 large SUVs) is a factor. Unfortunately, there were also part shortage. I suspect games were played by the dealer with my order as it sat for over a month.

As a former GM emplyee the bottom line is that this has to be one of the worst start-ups. As usual GM is not very good at keeping buyers in the loop.

Archived