Rear end clunking noise

Hey ashmores,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing a similar clunking noise in your Silverado. We'd be happy to contact the dealer on your behalf and look into this further. Feel free to send us a PM with you full contact information, VIN, mileage, and involved dealer if interested. If you're unable to send a PM due to just joining the forum, we can also be reached via email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Hello Eddie! I appreciate the help. I will keep this in mind if my second attempt at getting the issue fixed at this dealer fails (I take it in early next week). I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and explain my concerns with the service manager this time.

I have tried to not think about the sound (as it is very agitating and gets my frustration level up when I think about it) so I have my music up and going until curiosity got to me a few days ago and, yes, I do hear the clunking when I slow down but it is not as noticeable as when accelerating.

It's quite odd because the noise is extremely similar to the clunk I hear when I step onto the running board (both sides). I believe i read on this forum something similar from another poster. Hmm.

Here's hoping the noise generates when I actually take it to the dealer.

Edit: When I made the appointment the employee on the phone stated that he had a guy in there "that day" with the same sounding issue. Fingers crossed the found a solution?

Edited by ashmores

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Tahoe and had the clunking as well. They fixed a recall where the transfer case was getting stuck in 4WD High, and since the fix I have not had a problem with that although I have only driven it 2 days since the fix because it has been at the dealer for two weeks for electrical issues....

I have a 2015 sierra denali with the "clunk". About 1400 miles and the first I noticed it was about 200 miles. It occurs when shifting up or down at low speed with little throttle. Feels/sounds very much like u-joint but hope it isn't the differential. Haven't had to dealer yet. Has anyone solved this issue either on their own or with dealer assistance?

Both 2014 I have did this. Current one still does. Low speed down shifts and after letting go of throttle then applying...especially on an angle up or down hill...clunk.

I think it is the 6 speed Trans and have heard that a good tune will fix it. But until the warranty runs out I am not touching anything.

Both 2014 I have did this. Current one still does. Low speed down shifts and after letting go of throttle then applying...especially on an angle up or down hill...clunk.

I think it is the 6 speed Trans and have heard that a good tune will fix it. But until the warranty runs out I am not touching anything.

Just for reference...I have the eight speed. I will find it hard to accept living with that defect on any new truck. Maybe my dealer will be more accommodating.

When the 6-speeds came out this was an issue and even though the 2014+ 6-speeds shift better, still has some issues and as far as I know GM did not do much to address it on the 900 series so I doubt they will address on the newer trucks (6 or 8 speed) either...there are no options for them to do other than GM issuing an updated tune(doubtful). Most dealer techs are just "Part Changers" or have their hands tied so the best source is a forum like this. You can also ask to speak to their GM rep which may help. I agree that the clunk is annoying at least but unless you get a tune....or another brand truck with its own different set if issues...you may be stuck with it. The clunk didn't seem to affect any long term reliability on the older trucks so I am not too worried about it. and the 8-speeds are even stronger than the 6-speeds. I still rather the smoothness of my 4-speed but the more gears the better MPG and towing stats so those days are gone.

I am sure I will get some crap for this post but.....it is what it is.......

Edited by EXSlider400

Same low speed clunking here on my 14 sierra.

Took mine to dealer and they did the transfer case recall and it's still doing it.

Like I've said before the drivability of this this truck is a f'n joke. The jolting, clunking, confused , not knowing when to shift etc is ridiculous. Tune or transmission , it sucks. Off course my dealer plays the stupid game :)

I love my truck but I'm so happy I leased this thing and didn't buy like I was planning on.

I have a 2015 Tahoe and had the clunking as well. They fixed a recall where the transfer case was getting stuck in 4WD High, and since the fix I have not had a problem with that although I have only driven it 2 days since the fix because it has been at the dealer for two weeks for electrical issues....

What a great reliability record. I feel a sudden urge to sprint to my local Chevy dealer and spend $ 50k+ on a piece of junk that these vehicles seem to be. :rolleyes:

I have a 2015 sierra denali with the "clunk". About 1400 miles and the first I noticed it was about 200 miles. It occurs when shifting up or down at low speed with little throttle. Feels/sounds very much like u-joint but hope it isn't the differential. Haven't had to dealer yet. Has anyone solved this issue either on their own or with dealer assistance?

The problem is most likely the slip yoke. It appears that GM has really sloppy tolerances on these parts and if your truck has a bad case of tolerance stack up (i.e. smallest spline diameter on the yoke and the largest permissible yoke opening, then you will have a very clunky vehicle. It is really luck of the draw. There was a rumor that GM had a fix for this problem years ago and that they were installing nickel plated yokes on troublesome vehicles. I am not sure if this was real or only a rumor. Supposedly the nickel plating reduced the sloppiness of the yoke fit and made the trucks quieter.

Edited by pm26
  • Like 2

The problem is most likely the slip yoke. It appears that GM has really sloppy tolerances on these parts and if your truck has a bad case of tolerance stack up (i.e. smallest spline diameter on the yoke and the largest permissible yoke opening, then you will have a very clunky vehicle. It is really luck of the draw. There was a rumor that GM had a fix for this problem years ago and that they were installing nickel plated yokes on troublesome vehicles. I am not sure if this was real or only a rumor. Supposedly the nickel plating reduced the sloppiness of the yoke fit and made the trucks quieter.

^^^ what he said. Almost every gm truck/suv does this. Not all but most. It is the slip yoke and they did offer a nickel replacement for a pretty penny

I think a lot of the issue stems from torque management. Because when I have my blackbear tune installed with 50% TM turned off, I don't get the signature clunk. I just realized this, because I had to take my Blackbear tune off for a dealer trip and noticed the clunk came back.

It's like the torque management builds up and then releases causing a clunk. Torque management is JUNK.

• Like 1

Interesting TM comment... when I had the 3.08 I joked because when pulling out in front of traffic (usually to make a quick turn into somewhere), it had a "rev up delay then go" like a "buildup"... it was like not letting go of the clutch in time in a manual....or the little train that could...3.42 still clunks but no delay.

...I'm goin....i'm goin...i'm goin.......and here I go. :tumbleweed:

Edited by EXSlider400
  • Like 1

Hi this is my first post. I too found this forum while searching for a solution for the clunk noise, which started on my 2014 Silverado at about 5000 miles. My dealership also told me it was normal and I shouldn't worry about it. But when you spend $45k on a truck you shouldn't have to deal with what feels like the rear end is about to drop out every time you come to a stop or accelerate. If I don't get a resolution soon, I'm going to have to trade it in on a new brand. Which would suck because I will loose money, and other than the clunk, I love that truck!