Rear end clunking noise

"Working as designed", ha ha!

My 2014 did it from day one and In late 2013, I got a TSB from the dealer dated in 2010. They must update it frequently because on a later visit I got the same TSB but it was updated to 2014. Claim its gear lash and normal but it's amazing that something so toxic to customer relations isn't fixed after a year or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a '15 Chevy Silverado. This truck too has started making the noise. I took the truck in and the tech said we needed to re torque the bolts in the rear end. Once they did that the problem became worse. I took the truck in and had it for 3 weeks. Per GM engineers they needed to remove the rear axels and measure them. One side was .12 the other was .18 . Not enough to change the axle! No fix from GM. "The noise is normal per GM" Now the truck has a bad vibration while driving. When you are backing the noise is worse than ever before. The dealership is telling me "our hands are tied". I reached out to GM and an account rep called me and said that I need to take the truck back in. Or try to trade it in for a new truck. I cant afford to roll over the negative equity in another truck at this point. Its sad that you pay over 50K for a vehicle and you get the run around from a company that makes millions every year. But hey sales are up 2.08%!! Such a shame that I am expected to settle with a defected vehicle and deal with a problem. They sure didn't have any problem cashing the check from my bank when I purchased the truck. Apparently making money is more important than building a great vehicle and having good customer service.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2014 silverado LT with 17xxx miles and i Have broblems with the rear suspension BAD LEAF SPRIN noise..

The dealership put some grease on the leaf spring so the dealer toll me if dont stop the noise problem maybe gm need to aprove to change for new ones please

• 2 months later...

Howdy good folks!

Any updates on this dreaded rearend Slip Yoke Thud/Clunk dilemma?

I drive a 2015 Sierra 1500 with only 10k and of course, I am part of the Clunk Club along with you fine folks.

I have been just trying to get used to it, but I am one of those "sensitive" or "vigilant" drivers that try to listen to all noise, vibrations, ticks, and get the feel of what I am driving.

And so it is sometimes hard to ignore sometimes because you feel like something is about to break. When I first heard the clunk/thud I guessed that it felt like the tailgate hatch door is slightly lose and when I stop (push on break), you can hear the thunk/thud; at first I thought maybe the tailgate door just needed tightening and that it was generating that "lurching" noise as if the tailgate moved from its lock slightly forward to hit itself to make that noise and then when you release the break to move forward, it does it again with the noise! This happens for me for both Drive and Reverse, and typically on slow moving pace, not above third gear, and happens during stop lights/signs, pulling out of parking lots to join traffic, from slow speeds.

Obviously it is not a lose tailgate latch as I have already checked out my theory and that thing is pretty tightly shut. So my initial more complex guess was maybe if the truck has a differential bushing that makes the differential case hit the truck when break pedal is pushed or released. But I also feel that if you keep the break pedal down, a few tiny seconds later, you can hear a smaller thud, as if something shifted (the u-joint or yolk, maybe). That is one theory.

Here are my other useless theories:

--could be leaf springs hitting each other when pressing and releasing break
--differential gears (bad rings and pinion gears/spider gears or backlash or the pinion payload needs tightened maybe)
--bad u-joints, bad propeller shaft measurements
--something else lose in the rearend that makes that lurching and receding clunk when you accelerate and de-accelerate.

--or maybe it really is the differential bushing

--MORE LIKELY, slip yoke spline from the propeller shaft (needs greased, check for grease fittings) i.e. THE CLUNK IS HERE TO STAY

Can you guys give an update on your experiences and if anyone has found a solution by now and the length of your bed (mine is the longer one, regular cab).

Has GM addressed this or just basically shrugged it off as common? And also has anyone experienced the sound while towing a rig? Is it worst or just the same?

Thanks and hopefully we can all console each other and figure out a solution. :nopity:

• 1 month later...

update to my previous post. I contacted the BBB Auto Line and went through Arbitration. I won my case against GM and they were forced to buy back my truck. GM still refused to believe my truck had an issue until they went for a test drive. If you have a similar issue and want it fixed I would suggest going online to BBB auto line and submitting your info, its free!

• 2 months later...

It's shocking to see so MANY threads, many pages long, with similar issues. Some folks are having 'squeaks' , or other sounds , but most here are referring to the slow speed rear end clunk.

I too have a rear end clunk issue with a 2014 Silverado 2500HD, 8 ft bed, regular cab.

I bought the vehicle new, and the issue developed around 5k to 7k miles.

It happens at parking lot speeds while the suspension flexes over uneven or rough ground. Especially when turning, backing up turning, and when there is no weight in the bed.

It's almost a loud knocking like someone is hitting the tow hitch, or the spare tire is loose ect. In other words, a pretty deep loud hitting sound.

I have had the vehicle in to the dealership 5 times for this. The noise can be intermittent, though the service department heard the sound clearly the first time I brought it in.

Attempts have been made under warranty to remedy this situation with no lasting resolution. I highly doubt they would have done the work mentioned if they had not also heard the clunking.

First the technicians thought a rear axle bearing nut had become loose, though seemed surprised to find it to torque spec.

They then "tightened everything to torque spec" in the rear end. It ( the noise) persisted.

Next they said GM called for replacement of the leaf Springs... mind you 7000 miles. Sound seemed to go away for a few hundred miles , only to return louder than prior.

I returned to have the issue addressed again, this time it was said to be a faulty rear shock.. which was replaced. Still, the same clunk persisted.

After reporting no resolution, the willingness by the dealer to even acknowledge a problem has stopped. I told them I didn't even feel safe in the vehicle.

Then it just gets ridiculous with a different service person telling me that GM calls for leaf spring replacement... wtf, already done that!

Then he calls the service manager who tells me that a fluid film application likely had deteriorated the leaf spring shackle bushing material, resulting in the noise, and that was not an approved method by GM for undercoating.

Apparently replacement of the leafs did not include replacement of the shackles or pins or bushings.

I called bs, and furthermore think they may have been greasing/ or tightening things to the point they would be quiet for about 100 miles, to get rid of me.

Have had 2 different mechanics ride with me to 'hear' the noise. Both of which were telling me they had fixed it with repairs mention prior.

I never thought it would get to this point with a new $40k vehicle!

A bit late, but have contacted GM Corporate, and they are at least willing to 'assist' with the matter.

So back to the dealer tomorrow ( 50 miles round trip, and many hours of my time wasted thus far). I am not confident in that a resolution will be found, and won't be at all surprised for Corporate and the dealer to say there's nothing they can/will do further.

( in fact the service manager threw his hands up and walked out saying we are done with this) that's when I called corporate.

If I get the runaround AGAIN, I will be immediately calling the BBB to make a claim although have no idea where that will get me. maybe at the least it will help others, with my struggle, and being taken advantage of documented.

If they were to ask me, I would ask that the entire rear end be replaced.

Or the entire vehicle for that matter. I hate driving it, my old cars don't even make this much noise.

The worst is that the dealer is backing away after throwing parts at it with no resolution, and now resorts to pointing the finger at me. It's a one owner adult owned vehicle and I'm the only person ever to drive it other than the technicians. ( who put 11 miles in one day on the vehicle after I told them parking lot speeds only)

Is this why the Fords were more money and less available??

I am definitely getting a terrible customer experience thus far, and should I be left hung out to dry on this obviously widespread issue, will NEVER be willing to purchase a GM product again.

update to my previous post. I contacted the BBB Auto Line and went through Arbitration. I won my case against GM and they were forced to buy back my truck. GM still refused to believe my truck had an issue until they went for a test drive. If you have a similar issue and want it fixed I would suggest going online to BBB auto line and submitting your info, its free!

What information was the most helpful for reporting this type of issue to the BBB?

Not at all what I wanted to put time and effort into, but it seems as though it may be my last resort for any support after being sold a defective $40,000 product.

Edited by Grumpy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me, or has GM just let go of their standards. I bought a GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLE the best that you can get in that model and have experienced nothing but noise and is not living up to my expectations. When I first bought it for the first 3000 kilometers was great after that seems like it's just starts wearing and tearing fast. After everything was said and done when I purchase the truck it came out to $82,000. Might I add it's my first purchase of a brand new vehicle and I'm starting to think I should have went with a Ford or Dodge or even a Nissan. I have takin it to the dealership twice and they say this is normal, this was not what I experienced when I first purchased this truck, I am more or less comparing it to when I pulled it off the lot and did not hear or feel what is going on now. I guess I am stuck with a $82,000 truck that I'm not happy with.

I've had my truck in multiple times for rear end suspension noise/clunking. They replaced the axle shafts and that didn't help. After several more times in the shop that they told me it was supposed to be this way so I stayed gave up for awhile. Went back last week b/c I'm getting close to my warranty end and they supposedly cleaned and greased the leaf springs. When I was going over it with them the service adviser asked if this was the noise I was talking about and grabbed the bed shaking the truck back and forth. He said that noise is axle shaft play and is supposed to be that way. That made me laugh.

Picked it up yesterday and within a mile the noise was back. Its bad enough that it gets people's attention in my parking lot at work. I really want to love this truck but with all the little issues I've had I have a feeling this thing is going to nickel and dime me to death when the warranty runs out. This is my 5th Chevrolet (3 trucks and 2 Tahoe's) vehicle and quality wise this one has been the worst. None of my other trucks have made noises like this one does and that's not even getting into the transmission shifting and engine oil consumption issues that this truck has. Will be taking a hard look at other manufacturers when I decide to make a change.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bought my 2018 Z71 with ~17k miles on it and noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear end when hitting bumps and turning corners.  Turns out ALL of my leaf spring to rear axle U-bolt nuts were LOOSE.  Torqued to factory specs and the clunk is gone.

• 8 months later...

I've had this problem with my 2014 Silverado.  The only thing I found to quite it was to put the four wheel drive switch in 'Auto'.  I have been driving like that for many years now.  But at 30K mile it gernaded the front differential.  The dealership suggested that I should not have had it in 'Auto' and insinuated that caused the failure.  Well if I shouldn't use it then don't put it there!

So I guess you get to choose the lesser of two evils.