New member with a sad tale.

/vent on

The sad tale continues. Apparently the at-fault driver is contesting and their insurance has now denied my claim. It's absurd. Now I have to file the claim with my insurance and they will negotiate or go to arbitration against the other insurance company. Adding insult to injury, I now also have to pay for a rental out of pocket and hope that once it is settled in my favor, I can recover the cost. Just once I would like to have the right thing be done.

/vent off

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest...

There is a police report, and I spoke with the investigating officer and he said that I was not at fault.

After a period of time after the accident occurred, the father of the driver came up (who wasn't present and didn't see what happened) and during conversation made the comment that his son rear-ended the car in front and that I then side swiped his son's Jeep. I didn't feel like getting in an argument at the time, but now realize that was a mistake. I should have set him straight right then and there. Apparently after I had spoken with their insurance claim handler and had everything approved, they policy holder (the father) contacted them and made the statement that his son never left the lane of traffic he was in, which is patently false and their position is not supported by the evidence. I spent a good hour working with their claim handler and was able to show (using google street view) where things were and how it happened and he would then go back to his management who refused to change their position and ultimately denied my claim. So now it will be left up to the insurance companies to come to an agreement or go to arbitration which is binding.

As for the rental policy, you're correct, I didn't realize that it wasn't part of my policy but even had I known that it wasn't, it isn't something that I would likely to have added, as I have never needed a rental. We have enough other vehicles in the family to use. The only exception was needing a 4x4 truck for this week.

I was all ready to sing the praises of their insurance company as they were very easy to work with, and I was happy with the way things were appearing to work out. Now, not so much. I can appreciate they are trying to protect their client, but it is very obvious that they don't have a position to stand on, that includes my testimony and the two other officers that were there.

Live and learn.

Is it too much to hope for, to have good weather in OBX next week? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully now a happy ending to this sad tale. The body shop finished my truck today and I was finally able to pick it up. It looks terrific, they did a fantastic job! There's a couple of little nibs in the new paint, but overall, very happy with the gaps, symmetry, finish of all of the work.

I'm getting a Line-X installed on Thursday and have a bunch of small accessories, like factory mud flaps, under-seat storage, etc, coming in this week as well.

I look forward to many years enjoying this truck.

Ugh, just went outside to check on something else (in the dark here) and with my high power flashlight it is painfully obvious that the paint is the wrong color. The iridium on the rest of the truck has that purple cast to it, what they sprayed has none and is nearly a black cast metallic look. I'll be taking it back tomorrow. This sucks...

You've had a horrible run of luck here lately. As someone going through an insurance situation myself currently, I feel your pain and anxiety that it's all going to work out how it should, with the responsible party taking the blame. Unfortunately, there aren't as many honest people out there anymore, and it makes things harder (and more expensive) for the rest of us. Best of luck getting everything squared away...correctly.

sorry to hear, but i once heard of a guy who was in a accident car got written off so he went to the dealer to pick up his new car and as he pulled out of the driveway he got T-Boned... he was at fault but only 2 wheels left the dealer parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks EaZ8. I hear ya. I definitely realize things could always be worse.

Now as for an update. I picked the truck up today after taking it back to have the paint re-sprayed. In the sun the color looks much better, but unfortunately it still is not an exact match. I took it to a couple of other body shops (for a second opinion), including a GM body shop, and both of them said that it was as close as it was likely to get and that the body shop had done a pretty good job. I did find a few new scratches in the paint that I will bring back to their attention, but at this point, I'm reluctant to bring up the color not being a better match. I hate being pain in the ass to anyone, thus I might be at the point of diminishing returns at this point.

I guess Iridium metallic is just a really hard color to match.

Once I get a chance to detail it, I'll take some pictures and post them up.

• 11 months later...

Bummer. Maybe a few weeks in the sun, the new paint will cure and match the rest of the truck? A good detail would probably help after the paint is fully cured.

I think any of the metallic paints are hard to match vs the non metallic.

Archived