Silverado Whistle

I’ve read some topics on the 2014 Silverado and a whistle sound that some people are experiencing. I am one of those people with a truck with this annoying sound. I’ve read that it is the result of a relief valve in the muffler / exhaust that is the culprit. The part I don’t understand, is that this would be on everyone’s truck, so why aren’t more people complaining of the issue? Personally, this is driving me crazy, and I need to have it addressed. I plan to have it addressed with the dealership until I can replace the exhaust.

Has anyone had this successfully addressed with the dealership? And why does it seem like some people have it, and some don’t?

Mine is a 14 Silverado Crew 5.3, 3.42's.

Ive read some topics on the 2014 Silverado and a whistle sound that some people are experiencing. I am one of those people with a truck with this annoying sound. Ive read that it is the result of a relief valve in the muffler / exhaust that is the culprit. The part I dont understand, is that this would be on everyones truck, so why arent more people complaining of the issue? Personally, this is driving me crazy, and I need to have it addressed. I plan to have it addressed with the dealership until I can replace the exhaust.

Has anyone had this successfully addressed with the dealership? And why does it seem like some people have it, and some dont?

Mine is a 14 Silverado Crew 5.3, 3.42's.

Exactly like the bulletin says. Clamp the adaptive valve open and not only will you solve the whistle but your truck will sound better as well.

Hey there SinisteRR,

It looks like your fellow forum members may have provided you with an answer to your vehicle question which is awesome! I understand how that noise is beginning to upset you and I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. Please contact GM Customer Care via private message if you have any lingering questions or concerns. Feel free to contact us anytime!

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

I had a very annoying whistle that seemed to come from the passenger side of the truck. It was most apparent when in the city near buildings, or gowing up hills on backroads where the sound could echo off nearby trees. Slow to average speed, with moderate gas peddal. It almost reminded me of a "turbo sound" when they gulp air but had a whistle to it also. I used a bolt to hold open the flapper valve on the exhaust and the issue completely disappeared. I plan on leaving it bolted open for the life of the truck now. The whistle is gone, it sounds and feels better, and I saw an increase of 1 mpg according to the center display in the truck. Apparently that valve does nothing but cause annoying whistle sounds, robs gas milage. and causes no starts in cold weather conditions.

• 4 months later...

I haven't taken mine in yet, but I also have some type of noise that kicks in at lower speeds when the engine is under load going up hills and its trying to hold the higher gear and around 1000-1100 rpms. It sounds like a buzzing or humming noise, like when you blow into a jug or soda bottle. Sounds like its coming from the front of the truck. The noise goes away if I accelerate more (it downshifts) or if I take my foot off the gas. I clamped the exhaust valve open and it made no difference on this engine noise. Anyone have this noise?

Edited by stevev

I have the vibration but my build date is January 2014, how do I find a muffler Julian date?

Two exhaust system noise conditions may be heard on some 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 trucks equipped with the 4.3L V6, 5.3L V8 or 6.2L V8 engine (RPOs LV3, L83, L86) built prior to December 8, 2013 or on vehicles with a muffler Julian date of 352 2.

I haven't taken mine in yet, but I also have some type of noise that kicks in at lower speeds when the engine is under load going up hills and its trying to hold the higher gear and around 1000-1100 rpms. It sounds like a buzzing or humming noise, like when you blow into a jug or soda bottle. Sounds like its coming from the front of the truck. The noise goes away if I accelerate more (it downshifts) or if I take my foot off the gas. I clamped the exhaust valve open and it made no difference on this engine noise. Anyone have this noise?

Mine has it. Was thinking about bolting my exhaust valve open also. So much for that idea. I'm supposed to take a ride with a service tech sometime and see what he thinks. This has been discussed in couple other threads here. Mines not real bad , but it's annoying. Hopping for a TBS or something. Not putting many miles on mine yet. Driving my old to work till I retire. I told service manager to make a record of it. I don't want the warranty to run out and still have a problem. One other thing I noticed when I was under mine a couple days ago. I was using the palm of my hand checking exhaust system etc. When I hit on the side of rear shocks they make a noise. Pretty slim chance thats what I'm hearing but I wrapped a couple bungee cords around one of them to dampen noise. Haven't drove it yet.