Transmission filter change

So im getting trans fluid changed at my local Coleman Taylor. My truck 2009 chevy with 96k. I ask what the difference is between the Premium and Premium Plus. He says on the Premium Plus they change the trans filter. He then says he wouldn't recommend it until u begin to have trans problems. I was kinda surprised because I was going to have it done. Does this sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I followed that advise. The trans still blew up. Guess I should've waited longer idk

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Transmission filter is a breeze. Only thing to remember is cleanliness is of utmost importance. A day or two before doing it take a pressure washer to the underside of the truck and blast all around the transmission pan and everything else you can reach, doing this will make removal a lot easier plus reduce risks of contaminating the system. Your pan should have a drain plug in it so it should be as simple as pull it, drain the fluid, remove the pan, unbolt the filter, (if there is an o-ring make sure it comes out with the filter), CLEAN EVERYTHING, put the new filter on, new gasket and the IMMACULATELY CLEANED PAN, follow torque sequence on the pan to avoid warping it, and fill it back up. Easy. Just make sure to keep it clean, its not like engine oil that is virtually open to the environment, transmission fluid is a very well closed system. The only time stuff gets in there is if a part fails, that's why it can regularly last hundreds of thousands of miles.

Archived