Superchargers: Magnuson vs Edelbrock E-Force

Well, looks like we have a few options for superchargers on our trucks, especially with the 5.3 motor. Since most of us will use our trucks to pull or haul things, I've kept this strictly with roots/twin screw chargers. These are the 2 that I have been able to find thus far as a complete kit.

The Magnuson charger here:
http://www.magnacharger.com/p-127-silverado-sierra-2014-53l-direct-injection-radix-supercharger.aspx
Uses a Eaton TVS1900 rotor. Looks like max boost around 7.6 PSI (nice and conservative). It is a bypassed system to lessen parasitic drag at low loads. I called them up yesterday and as far as ECU tuning, you ship them your ECU, they reprogram it with their maps and ship it back to you. They are working on a program with a SCT handheld tuner. Looks like running about 425 HP and just shy of 450 ft/lb of torque. This is according to the dyno they provide. It is air/water intercooled, self contained and only requires the supercharger oil to be changed around 100k miles.

The Edelbrock system I don't have so much info on. Basically it's just whatever their website has. Projected release in middle of July.

Ok, ready, set, discuss!

While both blowers tend to heat soak based on the intercooler location, the Eforce heat soaks worse than the maggie. The Eforce has longer intake runners so in theory it creates better low end torque if all things were equal. Things though are not equal as the Eforce uses the Eaton TVS 2300 vs the maggie uses a Eaton TVS 1900. For a given peak boost a smaller blower has to spin higher and actually produces more boost in the lower revs than the bigger blower. Because of this the maggie with the TVS 1900 will actually make more low end torque (due to making more boost down low) despite having shorter intake runners. The advantage the Eforce has is because the TVS 2300 has to have such a big pulley on it to keep boost low, there is a lot of belt wrap around the pulley so it has less chance to slip under drastic engine speed changes.

On a 5.3 the 1900 is plenty enough to blow a stock motor. It's still plenty to feed 10psi with headers and cam swap. Even a stock 6.2 will be fed plenty of air by the 1900. Where some would argue the 1900 falls short is when you have a 6.2 with headers and cam and still want 10psi of boost. You will have to spin that 1900 up so high your will have a small pulley (more belt slip) and you will start to run the blower out of it's efficiency range. I'll see if I can find the forum thread, but it has dyno's on a camaro with the maggie (uses a TVS 2300 on that setup) compared to a Eforce (TVS 2300) on the same car/same dyno. The Eforce makes more power down low and the maggie makes more up top. Since the blowers are the same, it's most likely due to the intake runner difference.

Honestly these differences are small and really only apparent on paper and on the drag strip. Either blower setup on your truck will put one heck of a smile on your face. Heck my truck with an older generation Eaton mp112 that is much less efficient still puts a smile on my face.

well in 3-4 weeks ill have a full review for you guys. i am at the LAX airport as i type this as just hours ago i dropped off my 2014 all terrain 6.2 double cab at Edelbrock. i will be the FIRST person to have the e force installed on a 6.2. i have talked with all of the lead techs and asked every question i can think of and i think the final result will impress a lot.

they are expecting to see gains of more then 100 hp and tq at the wheels.

i cannot speak for the maggie but i can say looking at the design up close i think edelbrock has a more than efficient cooling system. they are installing a water to air intercooler who's heat exchanger will span pretty much across the entire radiator.

additionally unlike the stingray counterpart the intake manifold is a higher profile than the vette because it will not have a hood clearance issue.

the rotors sit low in the assembly allowing the pressurized air to start at the bottom and up through the screws then through the intercoolers on both sides and then down through longer intake runners.

they say they are able to lower intake temps by up to 30 degrees with this design.

i was told that unlike a corvette they will not be looking for peak performance due to the fact that most consumers will be using this for towing reasons. as such they cannot tweak the tune for the highest HP they have to back out timing and things like that which cause the engine to run hotter and pushing the safety margin too close to extract the additional HP.

i suspect they may have other tunes later but since i am getting the 5 year 100k mile drivetrain warranty they need to make sure all the failsafe parameters are followed the same way GM designed them to work.

they will be doing a tow test up a long hill pulling the full rating towing capacity that is commonly used to test towing ability to make sure everything works as designed.

if you did not see my other thread that got started i volunteered my truck for testing because i was able to get the entire system installed and tuned for about 75% off the retail price i figured i better jump because offers like that don't come around often!

so the long and short of it is they will be installing the kit and taking pictures to put in their install manual to be sold with their kits.

since the 5.3 has already been completed they say the install shouldn't take more then a couple days. but then spend a couple weeks tuning it.

i took a fair amount of data on my 1200 mile commute to California with respect to MPG and also took some preliminary 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with my iphone app to compare when i get it back.

living at 6500 feet ASL makes this a welcome edition and valuable asset to have on any vehicle.

i suppose if you wanted to venture out on your own there is a lot of additional gains to be had from the factory tune. but as they say in the avaition industry, when you venture out side of the design parameters set by the manufacturer you become a test pilot.

i am not trying to prove anything on a race track, so i personally don't really care if i break the 600 hp barrier or can run a 1/4 in 13 secs flat. all i am hoping to do is make up for the loss of manifold pressure at my home town Colorado Springs 6500 feet elevation. i feel the kit will be that and more for my needs.

if your needs are larger than that i also agree with the above statement the 2300 cc will require less rotor speed and therefore a larger pulley with better belt wrap than the maggie. that said there could possibly be more potential in the e force with a different tune and smaller pulley but will void the e brock warranty.

they said their tune may firm up the shifts slightly, but it was unknown until they get to the drivability testing they do.

in the next week i should have a baseline and some after dyno graphs to share. they are expecting to run about 5.5 psi but that is just an initial guess at this point.

they also install an O2 bung in the header so they can monitor that while testing.

anyway, if you want to follow this thread i think its topic is a perfect place to post the results so ill update as info becomes available.

i was told they may need it for up to 4 weeks but will keep me posted as to the progress so i can make my travel plans accordingly to pick it up when its finished for the drive home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

well in 3-4 weeks ill have a full review for you guys. i am at the LAX airport as i type this as just hours ago i dropped off my 2014 all terrain 6.2 double cab at Edelbrock. i will be the FIRST person to have the e force installed on a 6.2. i have talked with all of the lead techs and asked every question i can think of and i think the final result will impress a lot.

they are expecting to see gains of more then 100 hp and tq at the wheels.

i cannot speak for the maggie but i can say looking at the design up close i think edelbrock has a more than efficient cooling system. they are installing a water to air intercooler who's heat exchanger will span pretty much across the entire radiator.

additionally unlike the stingray counterpart the intake manifold is a higher profile than the vette because it will not have a hood clearance issue.

the rotors sit low in the assembly allowing the pressurized air to start at the bottom and up through the screws then through the intercoolers on both sides and then down through longer intake runners.

they say they are able to lower intake temps by up to 30 degrees with this design.

i was told that unlike a corvette they will not be looking for peak performance due to the fact that most consumers will be using this for towing reasons. as such they cannot tweak the tune for the highest HP they have to back out timing and things like that which cause the engine to run hotter and pushing the safety margin too close to extract the additional HP.

i suspect they may have other tunes later but since i am getting the 5 year 100k mile drivetrain warranty they need to make sure all the failsafe parameters are followed the same way GM designed them to work.

they will be doing a tow test up a long hill pulling the full rating towing capacity that is commonly used to test towing ability to make sure everything works as designed.

if you did not see my other thread that got started i volunteered my truck for testing because i was able to get the entire system installed and tuned for about 75% off the retail price i figured i better jump because offers like that don't come around often!

so the long and short of it is they will be installing the kit and taking pictures to put in their install manual to be sold with their kits.

since the 5.3 has already been completed they say the install shouldn't take more then a couple days. but then spend a couple weeks tuning it.

i took a fair amount of data on my 1200 mile commute to California with respect to MPG and also took some preliminary 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with my iphone app to compare when i get it back.

living at 6500 feet ASL makes this a welcome edition and valuable asset to have on any vehicle.

i suppose if you wanted to venture out on your own there is a lot of additional gains to be had from the factory tune. but as they say in the avaition industry, when you venture out side of the design parameters set by the manufacturer you become a test pilot.

i am not trying to prove anything on a race track, so i personally don't really care if i break the 600 hp barrier or can run a 1/4 in 13 secs flat. all i am hoping to do is make up for the loss of manifold pressure at my home town Colorado Springs 6500 feet elevation. i feel the kit will be that and more for my needs.

if your needs are larger than that i also agree with the above statement the 2300 cc will require less rotor speed and therefore a larger pulley with better belt wrap than the maggie. that said there could possibly be more potential in the e force with a different tune and smaller pulley but will void the e brock warranty.

they said their tune may firm up the shifts slightly, but it was unknown until they get to the drivability testing they do.

in the next week i should have a baseline and some after dyno graphs to share. they are expecting to run about 5.5 psi but that is just an initial guess at this point.

they also install an O2 bung in the header so they can monitor that while testing.

anyway, if you want to follow this thread i think its topic is a perfect place to post the results so ill update as info becomes available.

i was told they may need it for up to 4 weeks but will keep me posted as to the progress so i can make my travel plans accordingly to pick it up when its finished for the drive home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Updates?

Archived