Smith and Wesson M&P compact

Sturdy gun, what are you looking for? Carry pistol? Range gun? On the job?

S&W's M&P line is very good all around, you cant really go wrong. If your looking for a pocket pistol i would recommend the bodygaurd, they are very comfortable to hold for a sub compact.

No 'pocket pistol'. I have a Glock 26 I carry around town however am thinking of swapping it for a M&P 9mm compact as they appear slightly thinner and I think I like that thumb safety.

Well the S&W is actually a little wider and longer then the glock, but we are talking tenths of an inch here.

I've never been a glock fan but i do really like the S&W line. They feel great. I would go to a local gun shop and handle one for yourself. Sig also makes a very nice compact p250, but its slightly larger then the glock.

No 'pocket pistol'. I have a Glock 26 I carry around town however am thinking of swapping it for a M&P 9mm compact as they appear slightly thinner and I think I like that thumb safety.

Have you checked out the S&W Shield? It's thinner than my G27 and has a thumb safety.

The entire line of Smith & Wesson M&P pistols is solid. Can't really go wrong with any model, it all depends on what your main use of that pistol is going to be. If concealed carry is the reason, that pistol will carry without issue and is not very heavy.

Replacing your Glock 26 with that M&P9c as a carry pistol does not really make sense. It will be harder to conceal than the G26 but you do gain 2 round capacity over the Glock.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at the Shield if you are set on the M&P line. If not, the Springfield XDS is a great choice. It's thinner than the Shield and carries great. Been carrying the XDS .45 since they came out, been nothing but reliable over 3,000 rounds.

Another thing is, don't let that manual safety act as a comfort zone. It's no safer than your Glock, or any other firearm without a manual safety. All that really does is force you to take an extra step and more time when you really need to use the firearm. In a high stress situation, you don't want to be pressing the trigger having forgot to switch to fire because you are not used to having to use the safety being a Glock shooter. Just some things to keep in mind. I have seen this time and time again when an officer qualifies with a new style pistol. Totally forgets about the safety being on because past training and muscle memory are programmed to Glock.

Too complicated internally. I'd go with a Glock, a Sig or a Kahr MK9.

Complicated internally? You must not really be familiar with firearms. The M&P pistols internals are based off the Glock design and it's very simple.

Take down lever, take down lever retaining wire, trigger spring, trigger w/ trigger bar, sear housing, ejector, trigger pin, locking block pin, that's about it for frame internals.......Not complicated at all.

The entire line of Smith & Wesson M&P pistols is solid. Can't really go wrong with any model, it all depends on what your main use of that pistol is going to be. If concealed carry is the reason, that pistol will carry without issue and is not very heavy.

Replacing your Glock 26 with that M&P9c as a carry pistol does not really make sense. It will be harder to conceal than the G26 but you do gain 2 round capacity over the Glock.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at the Shield if you are set on the M&P line. If not, the Springfield XDS is a great choice. It's thinner than the Shield and carries great. Been carrying the XDS .45 since they came out, been nothing but reliable over 3,000 rounds.

Another thing is, don't let that manual safety act as a comfort zone. It's no safer than your Glock, or any other firearm without a manual safety. All that really does is force you to take an extra step and more time when you really need to use the firearm. In a high stress situation, you don't want to be pressing the trigger having forgot to switch to fire because you are not used to having to use the safety being a Glock shooter. Just some things to keep in mind. I have seen this time and time again when an officer qualifies with a new style pistol. Totally forgets about the safety being on because past training and muscle memory are programmed to Glock.

Stellar points.. A friend of mine just picked up an XDS I believe, perhaps I'll check that out alittle closer. I do like my Glock and guess I assumed the S&W would be thinner, but maybe I'm foggy in my memory. The pistol will be strictly concealed / off duty carry so ease of use, weight and ergonomics are of most concern.

I bow to your expertise and wisdom. I've only been involved with firearms and competitive shooting for most of my fifty three years.

Please explain how one striker fired pistol is simpler than another as they all use pretty much the same design. As for Sig, I love my Sigs but they are FAR more complex than a striker fired pistol.

Please explain how one striker fired pistol is simpler than another as they all use pretty much the same design. As for Sig, I love my Sigs but they are FAR more complex than a striker fired pistol.

Parts design, placement, and tolerancing. Simple. Some are easy to assemble/disassemble, others are not. Look at the 1911. Dead simple, dead reliable, and no tools needed for COMPLETE disassembly/reassembly. But, then again, that was John Browning's design. BTW: a hammer is just an external striker.

lol if you think a 1911 is a simple design you clearly have never taken apart a 1911 or a striker fired pistol. I love 1911s but they are not a simple design. And a hammer is not an external striker, unless you're talking old revolver designs that directly contact the primer.

I've owned my M&P full size 9mm for a few years now and it's been a great firearm. Dead accurate, comfortable to hold, smooth action and overall a good looking piece. I have added the Crimson Trace Lightguard to it that is designed to look like part of the gun and come on with a slight squeeze of the middle finger below the trigger. I'll definitely be keeping this gun for awhile.

Archived