96' 1500-constantly adding oil but doesnt leak??

You're probably looking at a rebuild or another engine. For your engine to burn oil it's either (or both) getting past valve guide seals or rings.

How many miles on this engine? How many miles between adding oil? How much oil are you adding each time?

You're probably looking at a rebuild or another engine. For your engine to burn oil it's either (or both) getting past valve guide seals or rings.

How many miles on this engine? How many miles between adding oil? How much oil are you adding each time?

225k miles...i have to add 1 quart approximately every 1,000 miles

I'd say you got your life out of that engine. That's quite the oil burner if you need a quart every 1000 miles. You can add many quarts of oil for what it would cost to rebuild the engine.

Do you have to smog it? If not, add your quart every thousand and drive it till it dies.

I'd say you got your life out of that engine. That's quite the oil burner if you need a quart every 1000 miles. You can add many quarts of oil for what it would cost to rebuild the engine.

Do you have to smog it? If not, add your quart every thousand and drive it till it dies.

i do have to smog it, thanks for the info

That's a tough dilemma then. Not sure that vehicle would pass a smog inspection but it would be worth a shot to roll the dice and if it passes, just continue to keep adding oil.

It's been a while but I'd estimate a rebuilt long block would run you about $2,000 (no installation/labor). The truck itself with that many miles on it is probably only worth $2,500 to $3,000 if in pristine condition. The issue with putting money into a truck this old with this many miles on it is that every other drive train component on the truck also has 225,000 miles on it. The truck could become quite the money pit in a short period of time.

That's a tough dilemma then. Not sure that vehicle would pass a smog inspection but it would be worth a shot to roll the dice and if it passes, just continue to keep adding oil.

It's been a while but I'd estimate a rebuilt long block would run you about $2,000 (no installation/labor). The truck itself with that many miles on it is probably only worth $2,500 to $3,000 if in pristine condition. The issue with putting money into a truck this old with this many miles on it is that every other drive train component on the truck also has 225,000 miles on it. The truck could become quite the money pit in a short period of time.

very helpful, thanks so much, time to get rid of it

• 5 weeks later...

Archived