shock upgrade

My truck came with Rancho Shocks. After driving over 1000 miles I'm starting to think that they aren't that great. Has anyone upgraded to a Bilstein, KYB, a better Rancho, or another brand ?

022_zps748eb020.jpg

Edited by desert

What don't you like about them? Too bouncy? Too stiff? I think my 4x4 1500 Crew Cab LTZ is a bit too bouncy over speed bumps. Not as bad as my 2006 Jeep mind you, but could be a little better controlled. I am thinking about changing shocks as well to slow down the action. Expecially in the rear.

But, I do NOT have Z71. Thought it was a waste of money as I will most likely never take this off road. Only reason I wanted 4x4 was for pulling a boat. Been caught on a slick boat ramp with a 2 wheel drive truck before, thought I was going to slide into the lake. Never again.

Anyway, I may change my rear shocks as well.

By they way, I just checked the KYB online catalog. They don't list ANY for the 2014 Silverado yet.

And Monroe only lists replacements for the front. Nothing for the rear.

Edited by steveved

In my case, I am sure they will tell me that there is nothing wrong, it is supposed to ride like that.

Like I said, I want a smoother, more controlled ride. I will be contacting KYB on Monday.

In my case, I am sure they will tell me that there is nothing wrong, it is supposed to ride like that.

Like I said, I want a smoother, more controlled ride. I will be contacting KYB on Monday.

If that's the case, you purchased the wrong truck. The Z71 is an "off road" suspension package and will not / does not ride very smooth on the highway. Z71 shocks and struts are supposed to be stiff. There is a "handling/trailering package" that GM offers for these trucks. I believe it is Z85, should have looked for that RPO code when you were buying. You can always purchase Z85 shocks if that's what you wanted to begin with.

If that's the case, you purchased the wrong truck. The Z71 is an "off road" suspension package and will not / does not ride very smooth on the highway. Z71 shocks and struts are supposed to be stiff. There is a "handling/trailering package" that GM offers for these trucks. I believe it is Z85, should have looked for that RPO code when you were buying. You can always purchase Z85 shocks if that's what you wanted to begin with.

I don't have a Z71, never said I do.

I just have an LTZ Crew Cab 4x4. Didn't get the Z71 because I have no intention of going off road. I wanted 4x4 for pulling a 23 foot boat. My 2001 silverado was only 2wd and I had problems (even with a posi rear end) with slick boat ramps. There were several occasions with the old truck where I was afraid I might slip into the lake truck and all.

Like I said, I am sure I can find an aftermarket shock that will suit my needs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See if the dealership wpuld be willing to swap for Z85 shocks. It should ride netter for you that way. Also, whay type of tires do you have and what pressures are in them? People always seem to overlook tires and pressures when the ride is not what they want.

Sorry about the Z71 thing, I was looking at "desert" picture with Z71 on the grille of the truck. Wrong person.

OKAY, thank you all for your responses. I hope to hear more on this topic. I have always been under the

impression that shocks are judged by criteria beyond 'too stiff' or 'too bouncy' but rather a good

balance between comfort and control under a wide variety of conditions. I've also always been of the

school of thought that with any mass produced vehicle, the shocks provided are not the best available,

Z71 Ranchos included. While I don't have any huge complaint with the Z71's factory provided Ranchos, I am interested to hear from anyone that has found a shock they like better.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See if the dealership wpuld be willing to swap for Z85 shocks. It should ride netter for you that way. Also, whay type of tires do you have and what pressures are in them? People always seem to overlook tires and pressures when the ride is not what they want.

Sorry about the Z71 thing, I was looking at "desert" picture with Z71 on the grille of the truck. Wrong person.

Mine came with the Chevy 22" Rims with Bridgestone tires (plan to post a pic or two in the new member section when I take some. The only ones I have were taken with an iphone are not really that good). And, just like my 2013 1LE Camaro, all 4 tires were way over pressurized when I got it home. Checking the tire pressures and setting them to the correct numbers is one of the first things I do when I get a new vehicle home. :-) I also always check the oil level and trans fluid level. I have had new vehicles that were a quart low in the past.

Make a warranty claim. Your shocks are too new to be bad.

Thanks, but my Rancho's are not 'bad'.

I'm simply wondering if anyone on here has upgraded to a better quality shock.

Edited by desert

Bilstein 4600's and call it a day. They have LD and HD versions.

Shockwarehouse.com

You might also want to replace the tires if they're POS Goodyear's.

Edited by white1500
  • Like 1

Bilsteins aren't available for these trucks yet but I definitely recommend the 4600's when they do become available. Or the 5100's if you plan to level or lift your truck. They give you better comfort, control, and are great for off-road use. These ranchos are definitely too bouncy and they don't usually last very long. They have been pretty good off-road I'll give them that.

The Bilsteins have a much quicker response though ......not too stiff but definitely in control.

Get them you will not be disappointed.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek