Possible New Recall 7-1-14 with Gauges I was told?

I set up an appointment with my dealer to have the software update for the transfer case taken care of and the guy also mentioned that a new recall for my 2014 Sierra that was announced yesterday included something with the odometer or gauges not reading correctly. He service guy sounded confused as not much details were given but it said to do a software update for that as well both taking 7/10th of an hour each. The guy never did take my VIN number

I did a Vin lookup for my truck and only saw the transfer case issue show up on GM recall site. My question for the guys who work at a dealer, Does this show up in your system?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Denali only issue? Or Silverado too?

I dunno I've heard a lot of people complain about the instrument panel on the Denali's and I have not experienced anything odd with my Z71. This recall doesn't show up when I plug in my VIN number so I'm thinking it doesn't affect me if people are already getting this repair done.....seems the recall info would show up if the repairs are already taking place. You can all go to this website and plug in your VIN number to see what outstanding recalls you have on your truck:

https://recalls.gm.com/?evar18=GMcom#/

I have a Denali and it doesn't show up for me yet - only the transfer case recall. Either it's not official yet, or only a small number of vehicles are affected.

I'm kind of surprised that a odomoeter problem would be a recall (as oposed to TSB) as it's hard to imagine it being safety related.

It's not a recall. It is a "service update". Odometer may read different when opening door vs key on. That's all. Hardly worth a trip to the dealer for that only.

Dealers are having many problems with this service update. Just say no for now. "Odometer peek in" upgrade. They will probably get it right the second time around. Most are going OK but when it fails, it REALLY fails. You could be waiting for hours.

"These vehicles may have
an odometer reading at “Peek In” (i.e. Driver Information Center (DIC) screen when the vehicle is
in the OFF POWER mode but the cluster is awakened by opening the car door or using the key
fob) does not match the season odometer reading when the vehicle is in the RUN POWER mode.
The Trip A/B and Fuel Economy displays may also be incorrect. This condition occurs, when the
vehicle sits for an extended period of time and, normal parasitic current draws deplete the battery
state of charge to less than 12 volts and, the vehicle is in the OFF POWER mode when the cluster
is awakened as described above."

Thanks for the heads up. I figured this might be the case, that is why I'm waiting at least another week to schedule for the TC Recall. I'm sure they will want to do that one at the same time. There will probably be something else in another week anyway, and it will save me another trip.

I took my truck in for its first oil change last week and had (3) recalls done at the same time; the oil cooler fitting recall, the transfer case neutral shifting recall, and the mileage/cluster recall. They changed the oil, rotated the tires, did the 3 recalls, and gave me a courtesy car wash, all in about an hour and a half. Not too bad.

I took my truck in today for something.. they had this listed on the invoice when I was done. I didn't even mention this to them... they just did it with that other transfer case TSB.

Took my Double Cab Silverado today for oil change and tire rotation, figured I'd wait on it, since my dealership had express lube bay. Three and a half hours later I'm still waiting, so i go check with the service writer. He tells me that they applied the update to the transfer case and there was another one called peek into odometer, that was causing trouble, said it would half install and then quit. After four hours I had to go, with my truck, since they did not offer me a loaner. Now my speedometer and all other info is gone in the DIC, no turn signal, nothing works on the steering wheel controls, airbag warning light is on, traction control light is on.

Anyone have any trouble getting the update for the odometer update???? Any Ideas what they have to do to fix the problem and get the update installed????

Thanks

I should clarify my statement, I had turn signals, but they were not showing up on the dash display. I'm pretty sure the airbags were not working and the traction control was also disabled. That is what the dealership told me.

Archived