2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

morecowbell75 - I don't know if there is something "exactly" you can test or look for, if that was the case this thread wouldn't be 60 pages deep. But if you drive the vehicle at speeds between 25-50, stop and go, bumps along the way and you notice shaking, vibration, buffeting, or pressure, then that's a real good sign there's something wrong with "that" truck.

I would say the percentage of affected trucks is probably small based on few new posters on this thread as compared to the amount of trucks sold.

I have a Tahoe LT with no problems, you might get lucky. But if you don't get lucky, purchasing a truck with problems will be bad on adults and worse for your kids, the kids may not be able to articulate exactly what's going on. Take your kids with you on the test drive, if the're having a good day before the drive and appear irritated more than usual during or after the drive, don't get "that" truck regardless of what you or you wife may not feel. Withdraw your deposit and try another truck.

Note: the above listed issues may show up some time later, but during a test drive is a definite do not buy.

Edited by The Zip

Just to put things in perspective, GM rolls 1200 trucks a day off the line in Arlington, TX. Even if there are thousands of problematic trucks, it's a small percentage of the total. I understand that's no comfort to those affected, just trying to put a scale on the problem.

Just to put things in perspective, GM rolls 1200 trucks a day off the line in Arlington, TX. Even if there are thousands of problematic trucks, it's a small percentage of the total. I understand that's no comfort to those affected, just trying to put a scale on the problem.

This seems to be the only logical thing to conclude, right. After all, if all/most of those 1200 per day had these problems, the dealerships would be jammed full of returns and GM would have a huge mess on their hands, right?

Except, there is something that doesn't add up. If the above is indeed true, then that would mean that the vehicles exhibiting the problems have something that is correctable - a broken part(s), something out of adjustment or alignment, something not assembled correctly. And the fix should be a simple matter of putting that "whatever it is" in the same condition as all those thousands of vehicles that are OK. Except, after almost a year, GM has yet to fix a vehicle! So, the only logical conclusion is either all the vehicles have some common defect, or GM is super-incompetent. Take your pick!

Bottom line is that there have been many reports of vehicles that seemed OK at first and after several hundred or thousand miles, the problems start. Finding a "good" one on a test drive is for all intents and purposes absolutely meaningless. You'll be rolling the dice. So, you have to ask yourself something....do you feel lucky? Well, do you? ( I won't add the last word...Lol)

All I can say is good luck. If I had it to do over, there is no way I would take a chance. I would at least wait until there is a known, proven fix. If waiting wasn't an option, I'd go to another brand. Wasted way to much time, energy and sweat equity on something GM should have had sorted out to begin with. Will definitely be the last GM I ever own!

Edited by Wrench589
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about the difficulty you guys are having. It's sounds both awful & extremely frustrating.

On Thursday I placed a deposit on a 2015 Tahoe LT, and I am supposed to pick it up this week. Afterwards, I was poking around and I found this thread. It is concerning to say the least.

It's seems this is having to some, and not ALL vehicles? Is this correct? Are most effected or just a small sample?

But most importantly....

What exactly should I do to test my vehicle on a test-drive PRIOR to signing the contract? What is the best way to test this and what should I look for prior to agreeing to the purchase? I have small kids, and certainly wouldn't want to put them in a vehicle that would make them uncomfortable.

Thank in advance.

Morecowbell; as far as I know this problem is only with Suburban, Yukon XL, and maybe Escalades. The Tahoe is a smaller vehicle and I have not seen many, if any complaints about the vibration/pressure/buffering noise. You'll probably be fine.

My build sheet, on a Tahoe LT, does not show ANC....would this mean I likely won't be seeing some of these issues?

NOT AT ALL! Our first 2015 was a SLT yukon without ANC. The truck POUNDED mine and my two young girls heads. ANC is not the root cause. many of us months ago we with ANC tried removing fuses, stuffing cotton balls in the microphones, is placing ear plugs in the microphones, all these things do not stop the buffeting the droaning and the pressure created in this car. I am sure this is a suspension and platform issue. When you read on GM online build information they boast about their new stiffer chassis. On most if not all their new cars. I have been told by SEVERAL GM employees that GM has really tried to create a more European type ride, much like BMW and Mercedes-Benz, The problem is GM hasn't done their due diligence and research and development before releasing these trucks to the general public. The fact is these trucks ride like a Sherman tank, they have absolutely no ride compliance whatsoever. Has anybody else rolled off a curb or felt the suspension drop out, in other words when the wheel travels to the end of the shock throw it should be a smooth transition. These new shocks force the wheel out so fast you can feel the shock hitting the end of the shock shaft. Making and feeling a large thud when the shock is limiting out. I know from years of off-road racing experience that this is not right. the rebound speed is way too fast and there's absolutely no compression valving in on the shocks either. GM has gone way overboard and made these trucks way to firm, way too stiff, way too harsh .

To firm, to harsh creating vibration. And the fundamental principle of sound is what? Sound is vibration. I am 99% sure If GM was to place softer springs, softer shocks, and tires that aren't rockhard with zero sidewall compliance, much as not all of this booming sound over the smallest imperfection in the road would go away. If not all gone I'm sure.

And to address the poster that stated GM is selling or producing 1200 of these new SUVs every day and only a small percentage is having this problem. I know many many more these vehicles have the problems but the drivers and owners of these vehicles are sadly ignorant to what vehicle is or is not supposed to do, or sound like. Since September of last year we've been in every single new 2015 SUV that GM makes in rentals while the dealerships have been trying to fix our two separate 2015 GM SUVs. Everyone of these either Yukons, Tahoe's, or suburbans, all 2015's have made the same booming, buffeting, ear pressure issue. Our latest 2015 i Escalde is TERRIBLE and my wife thinks it's just wonderful. But the fact is, she knows how to turn it on and steer. She knows nothing on what's correct and what's isn't. I being IN the auto business for the last 25 years do know how a car is supposed to sound and drive like. and the fact is most of these new 2015's are completely messed up. our new Escalade not only has the classic sound pressure issues, but also has transmission issues electronic issues water leaks and the list goes on and on and on.

I do think GM will work these problems out over time, but If your in the market to buy one now, and you were lucky enough to find this thread before hand. WHY give them your hard earned 60-100 thousand dollars to risk this. I only wish I found this thread before September of last year before getting into this huge mess with these vehicles. The amount of time and money and arguments it's created within my family with my wife and I have simply not been worth it .

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND WAIT. GM KNOWS THESE TRUCKS HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS. DO NOT RISK YOUR FAMILIES HEALTH BY DRIVING THESE FLAWED VEHICLES.

• Like 1

Morecowbell; as far as I know this problem is only with Suburban, Yukon XL, and maybe Escalades. The Tahoe is a smaller vehicle and I have not seen many, if any complaints about the vibration/pressure/buffering noise. You'll probably be fine.

INCORRECT. short wheel base has the same problems. Both of ours have been Std Yukon, and the Escalade is not a ESV.

• Like 1

I've had my 2015 Yukon XL back for 1 day after it was in the shop for over 3 weeks (this time). The buffeting is the exact same, with no improvement whatsoever.

I am having 500 cheap business cards printed up with details about the buffeting noise and a link to this blog. Every time I see a 2015 Yukon, Suburban or Escalade parked I am going to hand a card to the owner or stick a card on their window. The more people complain the better.

I have also written both Fox News and CNN about this issue, but I've not heard back from either yet. If everyone following this blog would do the same maybe the networks would do a story. Please take a second and email Fox and CNN.

I have the Ford dealership searching for a Expedition EL that meets my specs and I going to trade in my Yukon. I had a 2011 Expedition before this Yukon and it was a great vehicle, so guess I'm going back to the blue oval. The new Yukons are great looking, but as the saying goes, looks are not everything.

• Like 3

Well, if you really want to take this to the next level, there is always "native advertising" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_advertising) or "advertorials" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertorial). I recently watched a special on TV about how much native advertising websites like Buzzfeed do these days. The advertisements read like an actual article, so many readers can't tell the difference. Supposedly, even the New York Times is in on it. So, a couple of well placed "native advertisements" would get the story out to the public.There is some legal concern, I'm sure, but I would think that as long as a person simply tells their own story, about their own vehicle, there can't be anything wrong with that. But that's only my opinion, not legal advice!!

It would seem that Lemon Law actions and BBB complaints are another useful tool. These show up on the manufacturers stats, and they likely pay attention to that.

I wonder if Consumer Reports has any means of dealing with consumer complaints? A lot of people use CR to shop for big purchases and it's fairly trusted.

INCORRECT. short wheel base has the same problems. Both of ours have been Std Yukon, and the Escalade is not a ESV.

TOBTEK, I don't doubt your issues one bit, but the majority of complaints seem to be with the longer version. Off the top of my head, I think maybe you and one or two others in this entire thread. Perhaps it is just more noticeable in the longer version? More roof sheet metal to be flexing and vibrating.

The fact that your wife thinks the new Escalade is wonderful supports the theory that some people are more sensitive to this issue than others.

More run-around by GM. They continue to tell me that they will not buy-back the vehicle. They're talking out both sides of their mouth. They acknowledged that service bulletins have been issued, and in the same breath, they said they will not buyback the car since it is a 'normal operating function of the vehicle!' WHAT?!?!?!

Not only that, but they said the only thing they'll do is a trade in....BUT they can't find me anything!!!!

Funny how our first conversations with these same people, they act all innocent and say they've never heard about this, and we're the first ones.

We're hiring a lawyer.

More run-around by GM. They continue to tell me that they will not buy-back the vehicle. They're talking out both sides of their mouth. They acknowledged that service bulletins have been issued, and in the same breath, they said they will not buyback the car since it is a 'normal operating function of the vehicle!' WHAT?!?!?!

Not only that, but they said the only thing they'll do is a trade in....BUT they can't find me anything!!!!

Funny how our first conversations with these same people, they act all innocent and say they've never heard about this, and we're the first ones.

We're hiring a lawyer.

Dadof4: Go to a physician...document your headaches. Your wife too. Miss a few days from work. Take them down the path you intend to go. Their story will change. They know if you can spend $73k for a truck, you can afford a good attorney.

There is a regional customer service person which actually handles buybacks. The exact title is "District Manager, Aftersales." Your dealer gets the approval from this person. Your dealer has a say, not the entire say so in the matter. I would seek out this person immediately.

As a reminder, I had TWO GM buybacks. The dealer was told what to do by the District Manager. They knew which direction I was going to go if I did not get my satisfactory resolution. I received full payment on both buybacks. Stay firm and demand the contact info of the DM. Go behind the dealer's back to have the decision made for him.

To all those having the issue: there is NO solution! My statement above is the answer for the short-term. I was 2 for 2 in buybacks for this poorly designed vehicle. This method, aka, the TRUTH, works.

Walk loudly and carry a very big stick. Let them know it's going to hurt.

• Like 1

On a side note, to continue to see people (more new ones too) have this problem still is unbelievable to me. They are still mass producing garbage. Acting like they (dealers) know nothing about it is just plain deceitful. Do business with them again?! I will never buy another GM vehicle again. Ever.

• Like 1

This is probably a long shot. I'm looking for the contact info of the District Manager of Aftersales in the Northeast. Specifically, the Springfield, MA area. If anyone has been through this, and has this MYTHICAL person's contact info, it would be very helpful....and appreciated.

GM and Dealer playing hardball. I AM NOT GOING AWAY!!!

I've posted a complaint on the NHTSA. Made complaints with GM. I'll be spreading the word (BBB, Attorney General, etc.)

• Like 2

This is probably a long shot. I'm looking for the contact info of the District Manager of Aftersales in the Northeast. Specifically, the Springfield, MA area. If anyone has been through this, and has this MYTHICAL person's contact info, it would be very helpful....and appreciated.

GM and Dealer playing hardball. I AM NOT GOING AWAY!!!

I've posted a complaint on the NHTSA. Made complaints with GM. I'll be spreading the word (BBB, Attorney General, etc.)

Just sent you a PM with her contact info. The one who handled mine, anyway.

• Like 1